Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
While I get the very human angle in Beyond the Sea, I just could not get over the complete lack of logistics and security, and the predictable nature of the plot.

-These androids are probably as expensive as the whole space program, and they are allowed to go wherever and drive cars? It made me believe that earth was a simulation, and the whole thing was a social experiment.

-"the replicas were made when we were on earth, so they can't make a new one for Josh Hartnett" is a weak rear end line since he can just plug into Aaron Paul's robot no problem.

-the mission purpose is completely ambiguous, and I guess we are supposed to believe they just sit in the chairs for an entire week without eating or taking a poo poo? I'm not saying I wanted a scene of them plugging in catheters and tubes up their rear end.....but maybe show them eating a super nutritional tablet or whatever.

I hate to get hung up on details like these, I read "Packing for Mars" a few weeks ago, so I could not get over the absence of redundancy and micromanaging that space agencies have always done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

Clocks posted:

I've been thinking of ways that the story could be changed for it to work for me and so far I can't think of any. I just think the premise is flawed.

I think there's enough framework there for some options:

- "we do have another robot, but it's also an Aaron Paul, because its the test prototype, so go ahead and use it, just don't go near his wife...." Then of course he does.

- "sure you can use my robot, Josh Hartnett, just don't use it to hunt down the people who killed your family, and please don't commit any sex crimes while youre at it!"

- "the soviets something or other"

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

Android Blues posted:

I don't think "the families of astronauts have a round-the-clock government security detail" was ever a thing - that definitely isn't more realistic. It isn't a reasonable precaution to be like, "what if the Kremlin tries to assassinate Buzz Aldrin's family?".

But what about the security for the billion dollar android? Can I just stroll to an F-22 and bash it with a baseball bat?