Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Alright so we've got a Web app that was built Java. The main java-specific functionality is that it uses the "permission javax.sound.sampled.AudioPermission "record";" to store recordings done in a simulation through a user's PC input (microphone) onto a server that is then played back later as a review by their supervisor (superuser).

We hate java, or at least our currently programmed iteration of our java app. We hate the fact that users have to install edits to their java.policy to get it to function properly. So we're investigating starting from the ground up but maintaining the main functionality of "a user can go through a simulation, record their voice when prompted, this recording is then saved on the server for playback by a superuser later on".

-Interfaces with MySQL Database for login/reporting
-Browser agnostic (at least for the big 3 of Opera, IE, Firefox) support
-Can output PDF reports/CSV reports of user data
-Would love for users to not have to install additional things, but if they do hopefully something easily installable.
-Optional (tablet support)

I'm not sure which hot programming language these days would most effectively accommodate this project. Any guidance is welcome.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask. I rarely dip out of SH/SC and Tech Haus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I swear I didn't forget about this thread I just always read it on my phone and couldn't reply.

Here's how our software works at the basic levels-

The software is a voice-based simulation learning system. It's designed to simulate scenarios that customer service people would run into and help them properly approach them through correct examples. The software has a series of modes and for lack of a better term is a voice slide show.

Example - goes through the perfect conversation from start to finish based on the situation. It's an autoplay slide show that has audio and visuals on each slide to put it basically.
Practice - Only does the Customer side so you can practice (but not record) on your own your responses
Record - Allows you via an input on your PC to record your voice (the responses to the customer that you learned in example mode)
Review - Allows you to review these recordings and rerecord if necessary
Coach - This is usually just one slide with some "coaching tips" about the lesson

There's multiple user tiers a Admin > Super Coach > Coach > User (basically each higher level can manage the lower levels as your typical hierarchy works). Coaches can listen to their assigned users recordings and message them, view reports about their usage. Supercoaches can listen to coaches' users recordings, message coaches and users, etc.

Reporting needs to be robust - showing both session data and lesson data (what lessons, what modes, for how long, did they record, were the recordings reviewed by a coach) for users activity.

The real issue we have right now (other than the fact I'm not a Java programmer) is we're restricted by the requirement of an edit to the java.policy security file.

Right now in order for the software to allow for recording via a microphone we have to add a java.policy in the user's profile with the following information:
permission javax.sound.sampled.AudioPermission "record";
permission java.net.SocketPermission "www.URL.com:80","connect,resolve";

Now normally this is no big deal but a lot of users don't have admin rights to install exe's and right now our deployment mechanism for this installer is a rudimentary SFX with a batch file that creates the file and also adds the required
deployment.security.use.user.home.java.policy=true

to the deployment.properties file.

So I want to see if there's a way to avoid having to have the users deal with special parameters. Installing Java or Flash is fine- I can deal with "big name well known software" requirements, but we deal with so many different populations finding a way to streamline the exceptions would be incredibly useful.

• Locked thread