Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I don't think they hate Java, I think the current App is a little inconvenient. However I am biased as Java is my language of choice.

Without knowing exactly how the thing is programmed, this is what the Oracle Documentation say about this:

quote:

Permission to Use Audio Resources

The Java Sound API includes an AudioPermission class that indicates what kinds of access an applet (or an application running with a security manager) can have to the sampled-audio system. Permission to record sound is controlled separately. This permission should be granted with care, to help prevent security risks such as unauthorized eavesdropping. By default, applets and applications are granted permissions as follows:

An applet running with the applet security manager can play, but not record, audio.
An application running with no security manager can both play and record audio.
An application running with the default security manager can play, but not record, audio.

In general, applets are run under the scrutiny of a security manager and aren't permitted to record sound. Applications, on the other hand, don't automatically install a security manager, and are able to record sound. (However, if the default security manager is invoked explicitly for an application, the application isn't permitted to record sound.)

Both applets and applications can record sound even when running with a security manager if they have been granted explicit permission to do so.

If your program doesn't have permission to record (or play) sound, an exception will be thrown when it attempts to open a line. There is nothing you can do about this in your program, other than to catch the exception and report the problem to the user, because permissions can't be changed through the API. (If they could, they would be pointless, because nothing would be secure!) Generally, permissions are set in one or more policy configuration files, which a user or system administrator can edit using a text editor or the Policy Tool program.

Look, I don't know much about this but why are users being asked to make the changes themselves? If the policy configuration files can be changed by a text editor why don't you write a small application that goes in and changes them for the user? Or if these computers are owned by the company shouldn't the computer janitors do this when they set a computer up? When I did Windows System Admin in a course, I made a Windows Custom install that automatically did things similar to this.

And for the Java JRE part, why don't you bundle the JRE with the application? (I know this is for a Mac, but I had it on hand and I didn't want to go find one for Windows and Linux).

I think this whole thing could be solved without having to remake an application.

EDIT: Just realized that it's a Web App so the bundling thing won't work.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread