Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
Some of the things you're specifying -- interfacing with mysql, for instance -- seem like server-only responsibilities. I don't think based on what you've said that you should have to rewrite your serverside component: am I mistaken?

I think (I'm not sure!) that you can do a lot of the things you're trying to do using HTML5's web audio api: that will probably be pretty platform-agnostic and shouldn't require extra installations beyond a web browser that implements the relevant standards. I don't know whether mobile-only browsers are generally stone-age or not, so you might check that, but they probably won't be. You would likely need to write a serverside adapter because HTML5 doesn't expose standard sockets as far as I know. (try WebSockets or other tricks involving requests that don't close)

Java is not necessarily a bad language for this, but applets are out of vogue (from what I'm told Java Web Start is currently preferred) and you might try transitioning to that. If worst comes to worst, you can probably write a standard desktop app and circumvent the problems.

Disclaimer: I don't really do webdev and the last language I did webdev in was Elm, which doesn't even expose the relevant libraries for your problem -- the only user-facing Java I've written lately has been small Swing/Seesaw apps and part of a game graphics engine for some friends. This is not my area of expertise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread