Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Later tonight when I get home I'll start posting some El Jueves. It's the best news periodical in the Iberian peninsula! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The most important thing you need to know about Portuguese democracy is that virtually everyone doesn't really believe in democracy and thinks the future will only get worse so they mostly vote for the parties that collaborate the most with those loving us (because if we collaborate we will be punished less maybe?), out of personal interest (they have years of partidary career and want their party to maintain a base of power so that they might eventually find a nice tacho to settle with; public workers voting for PS, private middle class workers voting for PSD because they're convinced each party works in their favor; literal fascists, monarchists and libertarians who think voting for CDS will create some sort of fascist Ron Paul monarch thing, i never understood that far-right party) or due to genuine ideological (and possibly naive) ideals that the party stands for, be them factual or otherwise.

But mostly people don't vote or vote blank. The apathy in Portugal can be cut with a knife, specially after all the social unrest in the beginning of the current government simply fizzled out.

KoldPT posted:

You know what you can count on when you're voting CDU (their coalition with PEV), and that includes scathing criticisms of capital, the biggest political summer festival in the world, and defending North Korea.

And non-privatized water, public sanitation, affordable public transports, trade unions, public and affordable public schools and hospitals instead of private institutions who bill your eyes out while still receiving public funding, state budget to the culture and arts, nationalization of the private businesses who are effectively sustained by public financing and defense of LGBT rights.

They also have a giant rear end youth party and they're increasingly introducing young people into parliament and important decision-making places while the other parties fear that introducing young, non-brainwashed dorks into important places might jeopardize their love affairs with the Mellos, Salgados, Champalimauds and Belmiros of the world.

Add that into their description, since they're literally the only party with parliamentary representation* that defends and effectively promotes those things in the areas where they have the power to do so , things that the centrist parties and the EU seem to hate.

With it comes a really weird party standing where North Korea is admittedly hosed up but you can't ignore the outside pressures they suffered and that internal change will be preferable to any possible "humanitarian" mission led by the U.S.. It's actively contradicting and there's really not a lot of will to explain how the hell can there be internal change if all possible agiteurs will be labeled as foreign agents, but there is some degree of analysis of the situation. Try to ask a Xuxa or a Laranjinha about the countries they are BFFs with and you'll see even more retarded apologia.

That and a lingering resistance to ban bullfighting because it's tradition and PCP is super spergy about Portugal's (non-wife beating, alcoholic or xenophobic) traditions and cultural traits, which leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. Not that the other parties want to ban it, though.

There's also a lot of flack against their members due to them, along with Bloquists, sabotaging every social and political movement that isn't affiliated with them. On the other hand, those that endure to create their left wing alternatives are either batshit insane , rude and violent even though they tend to usually be 60 years old (MRPP), are some kind of bizarro caricature of a trotskist party, specially with the weed smoking, being openly ACAB even when there's no reason to do so and unironically telling anarchists that they will be put to the wall first and foremost and the loving journal selling EVERYWHERE EVERYTIME WE GOT TO SELL SOME PAPERS(MAS) or think they will be the one and true left to unit all lefts, the Shahanshah of the left while being openly sponsored by centrist parties (whatever the gently caress "citizens movement" that is erupting now with Daniel Oliveira, Drago, Tavares and high ranking PS politicians trying to create a "new" movement).

CDU owns in multiple ways while being admittedly negative in others, specially in their presentation (which, ironically, was what helped the party survive during the 90's), rigid internal structure and usage of every conspiracy theory ever to say that the U.S. is plotting every misdeed in the world (Castro be praised). They're still the best party in parliament hands down.

There, have my propaganda piece about the wonders of the true party of the Portuguese proletariat.

*The Left Bloc is dead and lol at anyone who still wants to waste their vote on them.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Xibanya posted:

Yes but if you've never seen the reality of a cured pig leg just hanging out in the kitchen it's quite different to actually see it from imagine it.

I ended up on local Spanish news in Ávila once because I attended the matanza of a village and my friend's mom grabbed the reporter and was like "there's an American here!!!!"

I told them we don't have matanzas in America and it would actually be quite shocking as most Americans don't think about where their meat comes from and then me and the reporter agreed that was a shame.

My claim to Spanish fame.

No wait, actually once I was in the same elevator as Carlos Baute. But I didn't say anything to him.

I spent a night getting drinks and tapas with Jordi Évole, it was as great as you can imagine. ps. everyone watch every episode of Salvados, it's incredible. no english subs afaik anywhere though if that's a problem

the full episodes are all on laSexta/atres media. in recent years it's been much more heavily focused on local politicians and the economy but there are a ton of classic episodes. the three they did in america (immigration with joe arpaio, gay rights, and the phelps family) are insanely good. here's part of another all-time classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97v5TtnDY7w

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 8, 2014

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Mans posted:

But mostly people don't vote or vote blank. The apathy in Portugal can be cut with a knife, specially after all the social unrest in the beginning of the current government simply fizzled out.

It'd have to be an incredibly apathetic knife, too.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mans posted:

With it comes a really weird party standing where North Korea is admittedly hosed up but you can't ignore the outside pressures they suffered and that internal change will be preferable to any possible "humanitarian" mission led by the U.S.. It's actively contradicting and there's really not a lot of will to explain how the hell can there be internal change if all possible agiteurs will be labeled as foreign agents, but there is some degree of analysis of the situation. Try to ask a Xuxa or a Laranjinha about the countries they are BFFs with and you'll see even more retarded apologia.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
We're pioneers in the use of fire-and-forget submersibles. :colbert:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

To illustrate the amount of communication between society and government , the employment ministers has never been interview by the press in the past two years and one year in the case of the vice president.This is not the most shameful thing tho , the primer minister don Mariano Rajoy gave a press conference through a plasma TV to a room full of reporters.No questions to a tv were allowed.The last part is unusual because usually every press conference has a round of agreed upon questions with the leading right wing garbage.And speaking of the devil:

http://www.abc.es/espana/20141208/abci-presos-podemos-201412072211.html

This is the front page of the leading rancid right wing newspaper in Spain.
PODEMOS IS ETA !! TERRORISM!!

And this is Madrid's public television.
This might strike as stupid or even illegal but this is spain,plebs obey the wishes of their superior overlords and only think whatever it is ordered .This attitude is the norm not the exception.

wheez the roux posted:

I spent a night getting drinks and tapas with Jordi Évole, it was as great as you can imagine. ps. everyone watch every episode of Salvados, it's incredible. no english subs afaik anywhere though if that's a problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97v5TtnDY7w

How the gently caress did you manage to do that ? Between the GDT's and the this your life seems really interesting.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 9, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Lamadrid posted:

To illustrate the amount of communication between society and government , the employment ministers has never been interview by the press in the past two years and one year in the case of the vice president.This is not the most shameful thing tho , the primer minister don Mariano Rajoy gave a press conference through a plasma TV to a room full of reporters.No questions to a tv were allowed.The last part is unusual because usually every press conference has a round of agreed upon questions with the leading right wing garbage.And speaking of the devil:

http://www.abc.es/espana/20141208/abci-presos-podemos-201412072211.html

This is the front page of the leading rancid right wing newspaper in Spain.
PODEMOS IS ETA !! TERRORISM!!

And this is Madrid's public television.
This might strike as stupid or even illegal but this is spain,plebs obey the wishes of their superior overlords and only think whatever it is ordered .This attitude is the norm not the exception.

How the gently caress did you manage to do that ? Between the GDT's and the this your life seems really interesting.

nice seeing you in here cabrón :hfive: my friend is a journalist in egypt and lebanon and was in madrid for a media conference, so we spent the week hanging out in our free time and I tagged along to the conference with him. jordi and his production team were looking into doing an episode about lebanon and refugees and he ran into my buddy and I at the conference which led to us talking business over drinks and eventually just charlando y tapeando toda la noche. he's as cool a dude as you'd expect. he's pretty much an open book on salvados and he's no different in person. it was basically sheer luck and one of the coolest experiences of my life, he's been a hero of mine for a long time and salvados has been one of my favorite tv shows in any language since I came across it in 2008.

Back on topic, ABC is is a shitrag and it's depressing how many people view it as on par with el país, but I guess it's no different than people in the US who think the wall street journal is somehow free of all bias. even our "leftist" papers like the NYT or WP are centrist or center-right at best these days, just be glad Spain still has an actual strong leftist movement; the US abandoned any semblance of contrasting options or opinions in politics and media a long time ago. I mean, we do have a choice, it's just between center-right, extreme right, or tea party. :smith:

And on that coño Rajoy, among other things that infuriate me about him: the way he and the PP in general escaped any semblance of punishment for Gürtel. Or for anything at all, ever. ¡Tercera ya! con Pablo Iglesias, juez Garzón, Cayo Lara y Jordi como ministerios. :unsmigghh:

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 9, 2014

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

By the way it seems the greek stock exchange is losing 10% due to "fears of Siriza" more fuel for the usual anti podemos fire.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Portuguese media doesn't even report about non-parliamentary parties. It also doesn't report major elections, as Portuguese constitutional law affords every party a degree of fair media share during elections. Media barons claim that this law infringes on their free speech rights, the actual reason is that it would take effort and that tv channels would have to rearrange their telenovela schedule. Luckly PS, PSD/CDS were aware of this and decided to redraw the law so we could have TV debates, with the special clause that all debates and commentary had to be State approved, so now the media can shout about "Like Orwell wrote!" all they want. It's like they all in this together or something.

If it wasn't clear all TV main channels, and production teams, are filled with PS-PSD muppets. The most watched news programs has a government mouthpiece as main political commentator every saturday, who was a previous secretary general of PSD and the political mentor of our dear leader Passos Coelho, whose sole job and function on this Earth is to soundboard the latest bad idea of our government. What irks me about him, other than the guy being a miserable human being, is that the tagline for his half hour spot is "The Opinion that Counts."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Electronico6 posted:

so now the media can shout about "Like Orwell wrote!" all they want.

Ahaha, Orwell got shot in the neck fighting these fuckers on your very peninsula. The irony is palpable.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Lamadrid posted:

By the way it seems the greek stock exchange is losing 10% due to "fears of Siriza" more fuel for the usual anti podemos fire.

it's hard for me to judge since I'm not over there and my friends are of a similar political leaning, but is the anti-Podemos propaganda carrying much weight at all with the general public? because no one I know is buying any of that poo poo.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lamadrid posted:

Yeah, because there's a very high chance of early elections as of last night. Context: the President of the Republic is elected every five years by parliament, which needs a supermajority of 180 out of 300 MPs. The government doesn't have that, and the numbers from independent MPs or MPs from other parties that would support them don't add up for it, so unless someone pulls a rabit out of a magic hat the vote will fail, and Greece will have early elections. The election was due for February, but for whatever reason (a more favourable political climate compared to two months from now most likely) the government decided to start the process early, and the dates for the presidential election were announced last night. SYRIZA's lead in the polls seems to be at around double digits.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

wheez the roux posted:

it's hard for me to judge since I'm not over there and my friends are of a similar political leaning, but is the anti-Podemos propaganda carrying much weight at all with the general public? because no one I know is buying any of that poo poo.

It Depends on the angle they decide to pursuit.The most effective and realist one is that Vinçenc Navarro hasn't drawn a really thorough economic plan and some of the biggest selling points like auditing the debt and the creation of a public lending institution are pure fantasy.
This carries weigh with a lot of people already burnt after 7 years of pure poo poo but then again the alternative is PP or PSOE.Inside this criticism you can find guys like Jose Carlos Diez (economist) that doesn't like the numbers behind the plan or Daniel DeLacalle who is a massive hypocrite(but really successful) talking about how podemos is going to organize a purge if they win , or the parasites that suck the blood of the people , privatize , privatize.

The most fringe stuff is the Iran and Venezuela ties of Iglesias.You see Iglesias has travelled extensively through South America and actually talked about with and about the indigenous movements and other left wing parties for example he went to Bolivia and he had a meeting with Evo Morales , I think he saw Correa in Honduras ? , he definitely has talked about Hugo Chávez and Maduro in Venezuela.

Iglesias is a massive communist with all the letters so he actually supports a lot of the work done by these governments in SA and that's a big no no for certain business sector that want nothing more than a neo imperialism.When Cristina Kirchner nationalized Repsol some of this motherfuckers wanted to go all Conquistador and start lobbing missiles in Buenos Aire's direction (Side note:Repsol is barely an Spanish company any more and has for years paid taxes in other countries).

All these things are condensed in a narrative that says that Iglesias is a Manchurian candidate paid by Iran and Venezuela(brilliantly mixing the most hated things by Spaniards in general:Muslims and South American Indians it only lacks gypsies for a full racist bingo) in a mission to steal your pension and your granddaughter's virginity.The disintegration of the Venezuelan economy fuels some of this poo poo.

The most important thing is the frequency and the constant new accusations.Every week there is a new bullet point making the rounds in the right wing media that gets echoes in the more serious newspapers then it disappears when nothing is found.The problem is the cycle is creating a substrate of pure lies in the mind of the voters, my own mother will talk about some of this garbage and doesn't know where it comes from only that podemos is a Boliviarian Iranian monster.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah I saw Iglesias' talk with Correa (Evole was actually present there too and did a piece on it iirc), it was interesting. Correa was on Charlie Rose here in the US and Rose was, unsurprisingly, an absolute prick to him.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I might write something small about Bankia not just the Black Credit Cards but the failure to calculate the value of the assests the day of its IPO.

wheez the roux posted:

Yeah I saw Iglesias' talk with Correa (Evole was actually present there too and did a piece on it iirc), it was interesting. Correa was on Charlie Rose here in the US and Rose was, unsurprisingly, an absolute prick to him.

There is a disgusting disdain for the indigenous leaders in the press and general population tied no doubt to racism.It doesn't matter criollos and the high classes in South American have hosed side ways ,exploited and extracted every ounce out the low class.They just loving hate they have the valour to ask an increased standard of life.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

At least Spain offers citizenship to its former colonies, the US seems to go out of its way to gently caress over indigenous peoples both within and outside our borders. from my perspective racism seems to be on the decline in ES, but it's hard for me to tell since I'm lucky enough to have tolerant friends and family so I don't hear sudaca this or gitano that almost ever with them. but my last few times over there I noticed I didn't hear it as much with people outside my social circle either, so I'm curious if things are actually getting better (ie. in the US use of "retard" has gone down dramatically and almost disappeared from pop culture entirely in the past couple of years, same with calling things gay). or maybe people are just learning from americans and getting better at dogwhistle language to hide their racism :911:

Xibanya posted:

Later tonight when I get home I'll start posting some El Jueves. It's the best news periodical in the Iberian peninsula! :v:

I have their camiseta for the selección de la republica española! it's one of my favorite jerseys and when I wore it during a world cup game I got high fives from some rad expats, it's the best way to meet the best spaniards

e:

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 10, 2014

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Lamadrid posted:

There is a disgusting disdain for the indigenous leaders in the press and general population tied no doubt to racism.It doesn't matter criollos and the high classes in South American have hosed side ways ,exploited and extracted every ounce out the low class.They just loving hate they have the valour to ask an increased standard of life.

I don't know where you live, but that is some lovely people.

Heck, I live in Valladolid of-now undeserved-facha fame and that just doesn't happen, apart from old farts.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Sparq posted:

I don't know where you live, but that is some lovely people.

Heck, I live in Valladolid of-now undeserved-facha fame and that just doesn't happen, apart from old farts.

It's just the sensation I have when I read the press or see the news.They cannot contain their disdain for people like Evo Morales.It might my own peeking into the heart of my family and certain Spanish internet forums.I cannot talk with my mother or my father without some horrible thing coming out :smith:

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 10, 2014

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

Lamadrid posted:

It's just the sensation I have when I read the press or see the news.They cannot contain their disdain for people like Evo Morales.It might my own peeking into the heart of my family and certain Spanish internet forums.I cannot talk with my mother or my father without some horrible thing coming out :smith:

Heh, I hear you. Half of my family is natural of the Castilian countryside and have never traveled abroad, so the old ones have that attitude you describe; they sometimes slip some stupid remarks about how "sudacas" are ruining the country, or how "it's all the same as with Franco, who cares", but then again, they're old and lived in different times, I can't be too pissed about that.

I feel that most people just have some disdain for the majority of South American governments for loving up their countries(see: Venezuela, Argentina) even more than us, while having a buttload of natural resources. Then again, I haven't got hardcore nationalist types among my friends so I could be talking crap here.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Lamadrid posted:

I might write something small about Bankia not just the Black Credit Cards but the failure to calculate the value of the assests the day of its IPO.

Are you also talking about the bailout and the European Commission telling Bankia to gently caress off with their international ventures? That's the only story we got around here, when Bankia closed down it's operations in Portugal(and elsewhere).

The banking situation in Portugal is also hosed up beyond repair, pretty much every single Portuguese bank has been going bankrupt since 2008, requiring ever bigger and crazier bailout schemes or being sold to foreign private companies at discount price before it all breaks down. I'm piecing an effort post on the Espirito Santo Bank(BES) situation, as BES is(was) the biggest Portuguese financial institute and bank, and it completley collapsed in the space of weeks. It's a story that begins with BES being considered to corrupt for Luxembourg market regulators.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis

wheez the roux posted:

At least Spain offers citizenship to its former colonies, the US seems to go out of its way to gently caress over indigenous peoples both within and outside our borders. from my perspective racism seems to be on the decline in ES, but it's hard for me to tell since I'm lucky enough to have tolerant friends and family so I don't hear sudaca this or gitano that almost ever with them. but my last few times over there I noticed I didn't hear it as much with people outside my social circle either, so I'm curious if things are actually getting better (ie. in the US use of "retard" has gone down dramatically and almost disappeared from pop culture entirely in the past couple of years, same with calling things gay). or maybe people are just learning from americans and getting better at dogwhistle language to hide their racism :911:

I've given up on trying to explain the vagaries of (American) racism to most Spaniards. I think racism here manifests itself more in ignorant (but generally not malicious) comments and the typical stereotypes. I know I've gone off on kids here for pulling their eyes back and going "ching chong" when talking about Chinese folks but as far as systemic racism like in the US it's not so bad (except for darker immigrants). I think Spanish racism is the type that arises naturally from homogenous cultures, where the concept of otherness is pretty well-defined. Of course, that homogeneity comes from several decades of dictatorship and highly-controlled concepts of Spanish culture (bullfighting, kicking out the Moors, crippling Catholic guilt). Even though the Iberian peninsula has a long, long history of immigration, the current generations living in Spain aren't used to the mass immigration that began in the 90s and continues to this day. Also, the whole offering residency to former colonial subjects thing is not as easy as it sounds. My lawyer told me that it would save me a lot of headache and heartache to just declare a civil union with my Spanish girlfriend than try to get legit residency using my Colombian passport, and even then, I must never declare that I am Colombian with a Spanish girlfriend; rather, I must say that I am an American with a Spanish girlfriend, otherwise Immigration will come round and ask for photos, documents, utility bills, interviews, etc. for "reasons."

So today the new "Civil Security" bill is up for debate in the Spanish Congress. This new bill proposes several new things to ensure the safety of the Spanish citizenry. Some of the more notable proposals include:

• Fines ranging from 100 Euros to 1,000 Euros for passing out flyers for an unapproved protest, videotaping riot police kicking the poo poo out of protestors, occupying public spaces without permission, or playing football in a public spaces (yeah, really)
  • Fines ranging from 1,001 Euros to 30,000 Euros for holding an unapproved protest, rally, or public meeting, hiding your face at a protest, obstructing a "desahucio" (when the police come to evict someone for not paying their mortgage), defacing Spanish cultural symbols, justifying terrorism (e.g. "ETA, and terrorists in general, have political motives"), and for drinking in public
  • Fines ranging from 30,001 Euros to 600,000 Euros for holding a protest during elections, holding a protest at infrastructure sites (airports, nuclear plants, etc), and holding any kind of public event that is not approved by the government beforehand

As you can see, some Spaniards think this law is going a bit too far. I mean, what will happen to the cherished tradition of drinking in public places ("botellon" as the kids call it)? It remains to be seen if the law passes, since apparently the PP can do whatever the hell they want regardless of public opinion, or the masses of angry people marching in the streets. The law also allows for Spanish border patrol agents to immediately hand over Sub-Saharan immigrants literally jumping the fences to get into Ceuta and Melilla (Spanish territory located in North Africa) back to the Morrocan authorities, who will probably beat the poo poo out of them or kill them. Some have said that this new law harkens back to the Francoist period where a similiiar law was passed in 1959. I'm pretty sure some of these proposals are in direct violation of some EU charter but that's never stopped the PP before!

Sources here and here.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I like the random "welcome to the terrorist kingdom of ESPANISTAN!" comment in the Publico news page.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

An important addendum is that law gives the police power to intercept communications and wire tap whoever they want without a warrant.

My bankia round up might have to wait a little bit more , I have to translate some french thing for my unpaid internship.I don't know french :wtc:

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 11, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
American Racism is actually fairly similar to the Spanish imperial form of it (at least in Mexico et all), where your "race" was determined more by the money and power you had than specifically how much of your lineage was (e.g.) black (even though there was a de jure racial caste system).

e:

wheez the roux posted:

At least Spain offers citizenship to its former colonies, the US seems to go out of its way to gently caress over indigenous peoples both within and outside our borders
I mean outside of the Philippines (what's the Spanish perspective on them, incidentally?) there's not really a close parallel.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 11, 2014

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

DXH posted:

Also, the whole offering residency to former colonial subjects thing is not as easy as it sounds. My lawyer told me that it would save me a lot of headache and heartache to just declare a civil union with my Spanish girlfriend than try to get legit residency using my Colombian passport, and even then, I must never declare that I am Colombian with a Spanish girlfriend; rather, I must say that I am an American with a Spanish girlfriend, otherwise Immigration will come round and ask for photos, documents, utility bills, interviews, etc. for "reasons."

I'm not sure but in this case it may be related to the current requirement of a Schengen visa for Peruvian and Colombian nationals, which isn't needed for citizens from other Iberoamerican countries.

Last news I heard was that the EU Parliament was in favor of lifting this restriction "soon".

Edit: link on the subject: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-1208_en.htm

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 11, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

wheez the roux posted:

At least Spain offers citizenship to its former colonies, the US seems to go out of its way to gently caress over indigenous peoples both within and outside our borders.

Native Americans within the United States are citizens? I don't understand your specific complaint here.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

Native Americans within the United States are citizens? I don't understand your specific complaint here.

I'm saying, as flawed of a system as it is currently, at least Spain has provisions for people in former colonies to become Spanish citizens with the benefits that entails (healthcare, schooling, etc). In the US our indigenous peoples are treated like garbage. Yeah, they have citizenship, but the entire reservation system is a loving disgrace; Pine Ridge is worse off than a number of 3rd world countries. Our funding of programs to help native communities are a joke, even by American standards of social welfare. Spain makes a token effort (and occasionally more), USA is "lol gently caress you"

Also DXH's post above on racism is pretty much exactly how I'd describe the difference between Spanish and American racism and how hard it can be to explain the differences to people from one country about how it is in the other

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 11, 2014

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
So, what's the deal with that new law?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Lamadrid posted:

Meritorious mention to the central government and the castilian political class .A reactionary and corrupt institution hell bent in destroying any alternative centres of power in the country,locked into a XVII century view of the Spanish state (one country,one language, all ruled from the capitol whether you like it or not) incapable of accepting any moderate change.

With the exception of the "alternative centers of power," you are off by a century. Those views were components of the Bourbons' vision of the state not the Hapsburgs'.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Have some dumb semi-political comics from El Jueves!

Moncloa Palace is the Spanish equivalent of the white house. Mariano Rajoy is the current PM of Spain and is a conservative dickbag.

Little Rajoy's Adventures
Today: In the Dark Room

Rajoy's mom: Where is your brother?
Rajoy's sister: Don't go in!
Rajoy's mom: OK, he's inside. Why can't I go in? What has my widdle Mariano done this time?
Rajoy's sister: That friend of his Anita has come over to play.
Rajoy's mom: Ana Mato?
Rajoy's sister: I guess so. I didn't know her last name or that she was famous, nor that she was the minister of health!
Rajoy's mom: That girl should play with children her own age.
Rajoy's sister: When it comes to Mariano having friends, you shouldn't be too picky.
Rajoy's mom: Oh, I know what they're doing. I'm going in.
Rajoy's sister: No! It's that they're...they're playing the Dark Room game!
Rajoy's mom: The what game?
Rajoy's sister: You turn out the light, and after that anything can happen. I'm sure they're doing naughty things.
Rajoy's mom: I see...and this isn't the first time that Ana has come to play this, is it?
Rajoy's sister: How do you know?
Rajoy's mom: Because I'm afraid that they're using the darkness to do other things. Now I understand what happened to the silverware.

Rajoy: No! This isn't what it looks like!
Rajoy's sister: You're not touching each other?
Rajoy: Touching each other? This is a decent house! I'll sell you mom's necklaces.

:v:

TVE Interviews Pablo Iglesias...but on their 24 hour channel
Iglesias: It could have been worse.
Spongebob: Mr. Iglesias, thank you for being with us in Clan TV. First question: what do you think of Squidward? Is he bougie as gently caress?

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

El jueves never forget :spain:

When the king abdicated after a string of "horrible"events they came out with this thing.After the censorship of this frontpage 23 artists resigned.

When a small baby-check or stipend was announced El jueves came out with this brutal frontpage.
This is the closest I've done that can be considered working

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
For those not super with Spanish politics/culture, the average not politically aware person (and right-winger) loooooved the king of Spain. (I still have a "¿por qué no te callas?" scarf) like...he was a national treasure. But then a bunch of awful poo poo came to light at once and he was forced to abdicate. It's pretty amazing how fast public opinion turned around considering how well-liked he was before. When he broke his hip on his expensive hunting trip to Botswana or something on the public dime, he ended up releasing a statement like "I'm really sorry, I made a mistake, and I'll never do it again." My buddies and I had a good time razzing each other with that one. "Stop bogarting, man!" "Lo siento mucho, me he equivocado..."

So the new king has been doing great, seeing as he's already had to apologize to the king of morocco.

Bring back the republic!

Oh yeah and I'm phone posting now but someone find some pics of Zapatero's goth kids. Obama's kids got mocked for dressing kinda nice. Right wing American media would have a field day if they dressed up like Zapatero's offspring.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 15, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What did Juan Carlos do that was so terrible?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Discendo Vox posted:

Mainly his son in law was caught robbing a charity and things looked pretty fishy for JC. They had to reveal the royal budget and it was a cool 8.3 million euros per year paid by the taxpayer. Considering all the austerity measures (loving metro in Mad went up like double) people were pissed off. Looks like the abdication may also have involved some legal fuckery to keep JC out of trouble relating to his son in law's shady dealings (think Ford and Nixon). Also that loving hunting trip.

Official reason was he didn't want Felipe to be an old dumb prince like Charles.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Xibanya posted:

Mainly his son in law was caught robbing a charity and things looked pretty fishy for JC. They had to reveal the royal budget and it was a cool 8.3 million euros per year paid by the taxpayer. Considering all the austerity measures (loving metro in Mad went up like double) people were pissed off. Looks like the abdication may also have involved some legal fuckery to keep JC out of trouble relating to his son in law's shady dealings (think Ford and Nixon). Also that loving hunting trip.

Official reason was he didn't want Felipe to be an old dumb prince like Charles.

So what I'm hearing is nothing material.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

He simple lost all credibility as a public figure and some of the stuff that everybody knew but nobody dared to report came out , for example the affair he had with a german princess or whatever and how he kept her in a palace,how she went to certain business situations in representation of the king (some argue to demand mordidas).It turns out that queens lives in London for extended periods of time and they have been functionally divorced for the past 20 years!

Also Urdangarín (SIL) suggested he was doing business in the name of the king.Regardless he was an spent character with no energy incapable of keeping the rhythm the position demands.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

So what I'm hearing is nothing material.

It basically sounds like being terribly out of touch in a way that erodes the good will of the populace which you kinda need to be a ceremonial monarch.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The role of the modern monarch is for show and tourism. Every once in a while they do something that reminds the people that they are living in luxury on taxpayer money. Juan Carlos always had scandals but the last one just happened to coincinde during an economic meltdown and the people didn't forgive him so fast. So he did the smart thing, leave, and now the Spanish have forgotten all about it cause Felipe is so handsome and tall and cool and maybe he should feed his wife once in awhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I've always wondered, is JC killing his brother a taboo subject in Spain or does it get brought up every one in a while?

Also I'm pretty sure every right-winger in Latin America has masturbated at least once to "por qué no te callas?"

• Locked thread