Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Badger of Basra posted:

Is Podemos further to the left than IU? It just seems weird for people to be freaking out about a supposed Chavista when there's a literal communist party.

People are freaking out because it looks like Podemos might actually win the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The rise of Podemos really seems like the biggest and craziest shift in a western liberal democracy in a long, long time. I can't think of anything to compare it to. From an American perspective, it'd be like if Occupy Wall Street formed a political party and in less than a year it became more popular than both the Republicans and Democrats, which seems like an impossibility... although maybe if there was 25% unemployment. Does it seem that shocking in Spain? I was in Madrid the summer of the protests in puerta del sol and stumbled into a few of them and they didn't seem that different from Occupy.

If they're successful in the next election I could see it invigorating the entirety of the European left.

The surprise isn't that Podemos is a thing that happened, the surprise is that it's a thing it hasn't been happening everywhere else as well. Greece has SYRIZA, sure, but even though there is a lot of left-wing dissent against austerity and right-wing economic policies it is only Greece and Spain that have had parties which effectively capitalised on that. It is really fertile ground, but no-one has really taken it up in countries like Italy, Portugal, France or the UK.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

blowfish posted:

What is it with places conquered hundreds of years ago that still want to reclaim their very very very far removed heritage of independence? Hundreds of years of "let's fight another war over [tiny piece of land bordered by three large powers] this year" should've crushed any desire to rock the boat when it comes to redrawing borders :v:

Neither Catalonia nor Scotland were conquered by the countries they are presently under, in both cases marriage and succession politics brought them under the polities we now call Spain and United Kingdom.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Lamadrid posted:

By the way it seems the greek stock exchange is losing 10% due to "fears of Siriza" more fuel for the usual anti podemos fire.

Yeah, because there's a very high chance of early elections as of last night. Context: the President of the Republic is elected every five years by parliament, which needs a supermajority of 180 out of 300 MPs. The government doesn't have that, and the numbers from independent MPs or MPs from other parties that would support them don't add up for it, so unless someone pulls a rabit out of a magic hat the vote will fail, and Greece will have early elections. The election was due for February, but for whatever reason (a more favourable political climate compared to two months from now most likely) the government decided to start the process early, and the dates for the presidential election were announced last night. SYRIZA's lead in the polls seems to be at around double digits.

• Locked thread