Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The most important thing you need to know about Portuguese democracy is that virtually everyone doesn't really believe in democracy and thinks the future will only get worse so they mostly vote for the parties that collaborate the most with those loving us (because if we collaborate we will be punished less maybe?), out of personal interest (they have years of partidary career and want their party to maintain a base of power so that they might eventually find a nice tacho to settle with; public workers voting for PS, private middle class workers voting for PSD because they're convinced each party works in their favor; literal fascists, monarchists and libertarians who think voting for CDS will create some sort of fascist Ron Paul monarch thing, i never understood that far-right party) or due to genuine ideological (and possibly naive) ideals that the party stands for, be them factual or otherwise.

But mostly people don't vote or vote blank. The apathy in Portugal can be cut with a knife, specially after all the social unrest in the beginning of the current government simply fizzled out.

KoldPT posted:

You know what you can count on when you're voting CDU (their coalition with PEV), and that includes scathing criticisms of capital, the biggest political summer festival in the world, and defending North Korea.

And non-privatized water, public sanitation, affordable public transports, trade unions, public and affordable public schools and hospitals instead of private institutions who bill your eyes out while still receiving public funding, state budget to the culture and arts, nationalization of the private businesses who are effectively sustained by public financing and defense of LGBT rights.

They also have a giant rear end youth party and they're increasingly introducing young people into parliament and important decision-making places while the other parties fear that introducing young, non-brainwashed dorks into important places might jeopardize their love affairs with the Mellos, Salgados, Champalimauds and Belmiros of the world.

Add that into their description, since they're literally the only party with parliamentary representation* that defends and effectively promotes those things in the areas where they have the power to do so , things that the centrist parties and the EU seem to hate.

With it comes a really weird party standing where North Korea is admittedly hosed up but you can't ignore the outside pressures they suffered and that internal change will be preferable to any possible "humanitarian" mission led by the U.S.. It's actively contradicting and there's really not a lot of will to explain how the hell can there be internal change if all possible agiteurs will be labeled as foreign agents, but there is some degree of analysis of the situation. Try to ask a Xuxa or a Laranjinha about the countries they are BFFs with and you'll see even more retarded apologia.

That and a lingering resistance to ban bullfighting because it's tradition and PCP is super spergy about Portugal's (non-wife beating, alcoholic or xenophobic) traditions and cultural traits, which leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. Not that the other parties want to ban it, though.

There's also a lot of flack against their members due to them, along with Bloquists, sabotaging every social and political movement that isn't affiliated with them. On the other hand, those that endure to create their left wing alternatives are either batshit insane , rude and violent even though they tend to usually be 60 years old (MRPP), are some kind of bizarro caricature of a trotskist party, specially with the weed smoking, being openly ACAB even when there's no reason to do so and unironically telling anarchists that they will be put to the wall first and foremost and the loving journal selling EVERYWHERE EVERYTIME WE GOT TO SELL SOME PAPERS(MAS) or think they will be the one and true left to unit all lefts, the Shahanshah of the left while being openly sponsored by centrist parties (whatever the gently caress "citizens movement" that is erupting now with Daniel Oliveira, Drago, Tavares and high ranking PS politicians trying to create a "new" movement).

CDU owns in multiple ways while being admittedly negative in others, specially in their presentation (which, ironically, was what helped the party survive during the 90's), rigid internal structure and usage of every conspiracy theory ever to say that the U.S. is plotting every misdeed in the world (Castro be praised). They're still the best party in parliament hands down.

There, have my propaganda piece about the wonders of the true party of the Portuguese proletariat.

*The Left Bloc is dead and lol at anyone who still wants to waste their vote on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to slap the poo poo out of anyone who still votes PSD CDS after these four years.

I know people who vote for them who work six days a week. They accept to work without contract so they can at least have some euros instead of nothing.

These animals are living in poo poo and yet are still voting for the people who tell them they're still living above their means.

Sometimes i just want to open people's skulls and look at what's going on in their brains. Bitching about heathcare being expensive as hell, bitching about public transports being expensive and being filled to the brim because they're running bare minimum for years, bitching about taxes, bitching about earning squat, bitching about bosses who effectively laugh at their faces because as entrepeneurs they're the only ones with rights in this shithole.

And then they go and vote for more :ironicat:

DXH posted:

I've been lurking in D&D for a long time, and I know that backing your poo poo up with sources is the golden rule around here. However, come Jan. 1st, I may not be able to anymore if the source is a Spanish newspaper. As some of you may know, Google has recently shuttered its News service in Spain because of a new intellectual property law. Basically, any time someone links to or references an article, a quote, or even a headline from a Spanish newspaper, the person making the reference will now owe that newspaper a hefty royalty (of upwards to 600,000 Euros). This goes for news aggregator sites (such as Meneame, Reddit, etc.), blogs, and even social media if the new law is interpreted in a certain way.

Basically, this is another law that the PP railroaded through Congress. I'm not sure if it's yet another supervillain move to control public opinion or if it's the Spanish newspapers putting pressure on their politician buddies because they refuse to understand how the Internet works.

Did PP make a backstage deal with the opposition to give them as much votes as possible or are they honestly hoping that going neo-Franco will once again bring the solidarity of Germany and Italy?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electronico6 posted:

Cool and new exciting politics in Spain let's check out Portugal

:effort:

If it wasn't for PDR and LIVRE, this could be a poll taken from January 2005.

Also lol the Costa effect. "PS isn't PASOK!!! (We also ain't SYRIZA)"

You mean the left splintering into a million movements each one competing with the next for the most retarded names (the current one, Juntos Podemos, takes the cake in my opinion) and throwing itself at each other's throats while felatting PS was an absolutely terrible idea that only served to weaken the left and empower the vilest party that was ever legalized in Portugal?

Well i'll be damned

But then again, we'll probably get a 50%+ abstention rate in this election, so it's not like whoever ends up ruling has any sort of democratic legitimacy. Meanwhile cops are entering black suburbs, shooting civilians at random, arresting and beating rappers just for fun while the media portraits it llike poor police officers were attacked by gungunhana himself.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not excusing PCP but they're the only ones who actually talk about PS like it really is instead of still pretending it's a leftist thing. That and in the last years CDU has proved to be one of the few who are capable of having any kind of administrative capacity.

KoldPT posted:

And with regards to abstention, well... maybe people would vote if they had any faith in the political process, but not with the parties we have.
Is it because the parties are hopeless or because the media tries to portrait every party as equally guilty in our current situation?

Blaming PCP and the Bloc for the errors of the center is just absurd.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloco lost votes because it kept trying to be PS's lapdog, not because it was too anti-PS. It got a lot of splits exactly because they were going to the center. Outside of the feminist aspect i don't even see Bloco as having much to do with the left when you look at their propaganda of recent times. With CDU getting more and more friendly torwards feminism (loving finally) i think Bloc has become byzantine.

It's not about being true left wing, it's about defending policies and standing your ground against austerity. CDU fights against austerity and has no shame in doing so. PS literally defends it's neither PASOK nor SYRIZA and that the on-going process won't end when they reach power and the solution is for the left to bow down to them? Like the did after the revolution? If Bloco and Livre had balls to actually talk about PS and the harm the EU does to us they'd probably get more votes, instead they try so hard not to bother PS-voters and pretend to be EU-friendly that the voters end up not caring. That's why they're flocking to heinous poo poo like Marinho Pinto's fan club.

CDU's conservative stance against risks is extremely frustrating, no doubt about that, but they were never opposed to friendship from outside parties as long as they accept not to be neoliberal animals. CDU concedes a lot of power and responsibility in their elected areas to people from the Bloc, PS and even PSD and they have no problems in giving them credit where it's due. In return the people from those parties act like responsible politicians, when they're laughably corrupt when their party is in power. Don't blame CDU's conservatism for the failure of the left in Portugal. If the leftists who call CDU big stalinist meanies who live on the past (funny enough, they're the youngest party in the country, Cunhal wrote some pretty big criticisms of the soviet bloc and why it failed and you'll find bigger critics of Angola's ruling party inside the party than in CDS) had capacity to organize themselves in any way and pushed forward a policy that wasn't "we want to be PS's CDS" there's no reason to believe CDU would be against them. Fact of the matter is a lot of the non-red left likes to blame CDU for the problems of the country. Maybe Tavares would find better allies in Paulo Portas instead.

And lol, Livre was and is a cult of personality(ies) and received loads of media exposition that some existing parties never received in their entire existence and the media acts like their leaders are equal to parliamentary elected politicians. The media spin about Livre is so large that i seriously don't understand how people still think they're anything but a prop. This media portraits any police violence against blacks like they were PNR drones, they portrait protests and strikes like terrorists and ignored all social movement in Portugal like it was a plague and suddendly Livre became media darlings. How is that not suspect?

And don't get me start on the lolfest tht was Que se Lixe a Troika. You mean the group that fell apart when part of their leadership threw a hissy-fit because leftists (affiliated with :siren: PCP and the Bloc :siren:) went against the leadership regarding how to run street protests? (Morons like Labrincha literally defended that people should protest only until the police gave them permission, anyone hiding their faces or being hostile to the cops should be attacked by the mob and given to the cops, it should be totally prohibited to occupy buildings or do in-house protests because it would go against private property and peace, and this is just what comes to my head at the moment). Not to mention how anything that went wrong in any of those social movements would be immediately characterized as PCP\Bloc sabotage. A single registered member couldn't work with them because they'd immediatly become black sheeps and used as a pinata when the pathethic "popular assemblies" and whatever other nonsense resulted in jackshit.

You want the left to grow? Tell CDU to be less conservative and content in ruling in their strongholds, tell the rest of the left to stop blaming CDU and the bloc for everything that goes wrong and treat PS like it was CDS.

I'm not even going to comment on the extremely sad remark about CGTP being PCP's lapdog. CGTP has more members than PCP. CGTP has PS and PSD leaders working side to side with communists. It's the biggest defender of worker rights in the country. If you still have any work conditions, security or wages it's because of CGTP. CGTP is a "lapdog" of the unionized workers who pay their dues, elected their representatives and make their demands.

That's some straight up libertarian\CDS\PNR\Monarchist poo poo you said right there.

• Locked thread