Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Ya...tal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm no expert but Catalonia is and has historically been the wealthiest region of Spain in part due to its strategic location. I know a lot of cynics say that the separatist movement has a touch of FYGM to it. Then there's also the fact that historically its language has been suppressed and the central government has always tried to dick around with it so who knows.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

PT6A posted:

Very interesting. I've got the idea in my head to spend a month or so in Spain this year, so I'll definitely be following this thread just to learn more about what's going on.

I've also got a slight bone to pick with the OP: a ham in every household is everyone's dream, not just Spanish people.

Yes but if you've never seen the reality of a cured pig leg just hanging out in the kitchen it's quite different to actually see it from imagine it.

I ended up on local Spanish news in Ávila once because I attended the matanza of a village and my friend's mom grabbed the reporter and was like "there's an American here!!!!"

I told them we don't have matanzas in America and it would actually be quite shocking as most Americans don't think about where their meat comes from and then me and the reporter agreed that was a shame.

My claim to Spanish fame.

No wait, actually once I was in the same elevator as Carlos Baute. But I didn't say anything to him.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Why, it makes me so indignant!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 8, 2014

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

khwarezm posted:

How would this be seen in Catalonia and the Basque country? Is it well known at all?

I had friends from Catalonia who were obsessed with independence and read about it all the time and it was pretty much all they would think about. They are certainly aware and if they ever overheard anyone mention the UK at all they would jump in and be like "FREE NORTH IRELAND, SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE, SELF DETERMINATION!"

Most people are vaguely aware and might be like "oh yeah those guys have that solidarity thing" but you would have to jog their memory first. I had friends from Catalonia who were like "meh" about the whole independence thing.

One of my friends was from Barcelona and he was really into the whole independence movement. It was a sad day when he learned that I spoke English because from then on he refused to speak to me in Spanish, the language of the oppressor. His English was dire.

Unfortunately then you'd get people who were genuine fascists who would assume you were on their side and start saying the most foul awful nonsense about Basques and Catalonians (and immigrants, and atheists, and kids these days...)

I was teaching English in the home of a wealthy family (the one who lived in the same complex as Carlos Baute) and when I told them I had to leave Spain because they wouldn't renew my residence this time the mother began with "It's not fair that they would kick out a hardworking smart youth like you!" I was about to nod in agreement when she added "And they let those Romanians and Bulgarians live here!"

I found the best escape for both was to take advantage of the stereotype that Americans are dumb as hell and act stupid/pretend your Spanish is not advanced enough to understand until they stop bothering you.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 8, 2014

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Later tonight when I get home I'll start posting some El Jueves. It's the best news periodical in the Iberian peninsula! :v:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Have some dumb semi-political comics from El Jueves!

Moncloa Palace is the Spanish equivalent of the white house. Mariano Rajoy is the current PM of Spain and is a conservative dickbag.

Little Rajoy's Adventures
Today: In the Dark Room

Rajoy's mom: Where is your brother?
Rajoy's sister: Don't go in!
Rajoy's mom: OK, he's inside. Why can't I go in? What has my widdle Mariano done this time?
Rajoy's sister: That friend of his Anita has come over to play.
Rajoy's mom: Ana Mato?
Rajoy's sister: I guess so. I didn't know her last name or that she was famous, nor that she was the minister of health!
Rajoy's mom: That girl should play with children her own age.
Rajoy's sister: When it comes to Mariano having friends, you shouldn't be too picky.
Rajoy's mom: Oh, I know what they're doing. I'm going in.
Rajoy's sister: No! It's that they're...they're playing the Dark Room game!
Rajoy's mom: The what game?
Rajoy's sister: You turn out the light, and after that anything can happen. I'm sure they're doing naughty things.
Rajoy's mom: I see...and this isn't the first time that Ana has come to play this, is it?
Rajoy's sister: How do you know?
Rajoy's mom: Because I'm afraid that they're using the darkness to do other things. Now I understand what happened to the silverware.

Rajoy: No! This isn't what it looks like!
Rajoy's sister: You're not touching each other?
Rajoy: Touching each other? This is a decent house! I'll sell you mom's necklaces.

:v:

TVE Interviews Pablo Iglesias...but on their 24 hour channel
Iglesias: It could have been worse.
Spongebob: Mr. Iglesias, thank you for being with us in Clan TV. First question: what do you think of Squidward? Is he bougie as gently caress?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
For those not super with Spanish politics/culture, the average not politically aware person (and right-winger) loooooved the king of Spain. (I still have a "¿por qué no te callas?" scarf) like...he was a national treasure. But then a bunch of awful poo poo came to light at once and he was forced to abdicate. It's pretty amazing how fast public opinion turned around considering how well-liked he was before. When he broke his hip on his expensive hunting trip to Botswana or something on the public dime, he ended up releasing a statement like "I'm really sorry, I made a mistake, and I'll never do it again." My buddies and I had a good time razzing each other with that one. "Stop bogarting, man!" "Lo siento mucho, me he equivocado..."

So the new king has been doing great, seeing as he's already had to apologize to the king of morocco.

Bring back the republic!

Oh yeah and I'm phone posting now but someone find some pics of Zapatero's goth kids. Obama's kids got mocked for dressing kinda nice. Right wing American media would have a field day if they dressed up like Zapatero's offspring.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 15, 2014

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Discendo Vox posted:

What did Juan Carlos do that was so terrible?

Mainly his son in law was caught robbing a charity and things looked pretty fishy for JC. They had to reveal the royal budget and it was a cool 8.3 million euros per year paid by the taxpayer. Considering all the austerity measures (loving metro in Mad went up like double) people were pissed off. Looks like the abdication may also have involved some legal fuckery to keep JC out of trouble relating to his son in law's shady dealings (think Ford and Nixon). Also that loving hunting trip.

Official reason was he didn't want Felipe to be an old dumb prince like Charles.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

SexyBlindfold posted:

I've always wondered, is JC killing his brother a taboo subject in Spain or does it get brought up every one in a while?

I never heard anyone bring it up. And anyway, anything that happened before 1980 might as well have never happened as far as consequences go - this applies to anyone associated with the old regime. Just look up the niños robados, to barely scratch the surface.

That reminds me, JC's grandson shot his foot off or something so teen Spanish royalty doesn't have a good track record with guns, just sayin'.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 15, 2014

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/judge-orders-spanish-princess-to-face-tax-fraud-trial-with-husband/article22175311/

Well well, Princess Cristina finally on trial.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Lamadrid posted:

Urdangarín (king's son in law) facing 26,5 years in prison.
Cristina facing 4 to 6 years.

You think that's bad? You should see what American royalty gets! We don't put rich people who steal money in prison unless they steal from other rich people!

Given how Urdangarin was making fun of Cristina's boobs in his emails and other dumb poo poo, my guess is there's not a lot of public will to sic it to her hardcore.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Lamadrid posted:

The old dirty secret seems to be Urdangarín dumped his old (and by the time hot as gently caress) girlfriend, cancelled their wedding and cut any communication with her family that saw him as almost a son.
All to marry Christina who at the time was madly in love with him and chasing him through Barcelona.
Then he made a seamless transition from the world of handball to the business establishment ending with a million euro a year position in telefonica that relocated him to DC.

That dude hosed his way to the top.

Wait is this the Spanish politics thread or the Crusader Kings thread?

Here's my Spanish crisis tale.

I am not a huge expert in bank stuff since I was a dumb 17 - 23 year old when I lived in Spain, but I remember in 2007 one of my professors was bragging about having bought a bitchin' flat in town for hundreds of thousands of euros that turned out to be like 120 meters squared and without any outward-facing windows. And the value can only go up, up, up!!! His debt is now worth more than the flat but he can't do bankruptcy like he could in the states. Whoops.

In 2008-2009 I was paying for my living expenses from my savings in dollars. Exchange rate was like 1.6 dollars to the Euro and I was living in Mad town. The conversion was murder. After I graduated college I was employed1 and at last a mileurista2! By 2012, I noticed a curious phenomenon. I would approach an ATM and attempt to withdraw money but the ATM would say they had no cash. I'd go to the next ATM down and that one would have no cash either. And so on.

At that point most of my assets were in Euros and not dollars, but I eventually was unable to renew my residence, and after living as an :siren: illegal immigrant :siren: for about five months I decided I would either have to enter a civil union with my lovely male roommate3 or I would have to leave, because being illegal made entering and leaving the country complicated4. I made the tough choice to leave my beloved city and beloved Spain, but then had to sort though the sticky issue of converting all my assets back to dollars.

And the conversion rate at the time was 1.2 dollars to the Euro. Ain't life a bitch?

Notes for guiris
1. I was officially an autonomo, but the company was dodging taxes, like the companies who illegally 1099 their employees (misclassify as contractors) in the states. They employed so many non EU people that they had an accountant on payroll whose job included doing our taxes for us.

2. When I was in Mad that was all my out-of-college friends could talk about "One day I will be a mileurista!" (That or "Soon I will start grad school!") A mileurista, for those of you following along at home, is someone who earns a gross wage of 1k euros per month. If you pause and think about that, by American standards that's a pittance. Especially for an expensive world-class city like Madrid.

3. pareja de hecho -- like a civil union -- some of my friends have done it to stay in Spain; you just have to show you've been living with the EU member for 2 years with utility bills or something, at least that's how it was when I left. They have probably made the requirements more strict since then.

4. At least two of my friends have been deported after being caught at the point of entry. (Lol the irony at a huge number of illegal Americans in a Spanish-speaking country.) One friend of mine who was illegal in Spain for like 2 years would always fly into France and then hike across the Pyrenees with his suitcase. He later discovered he was directly descended from Sephardic jews who were kicked out of Spain and apparently can get some kind of residency. Full circle, man. I went back to Spain in May of this year and at passport control they were eyeing my old entry and exit stamps, revealing my previous illegal-ness. They asked me about it, and without thinking I started trying to explain in Spanish. The guy immediately seized upon my fluency and started asking if I was here to work - amid my denials the guy started asking questions related to me possibly being a sex worker! Fortunately when I pointed out I was not travelling alone they asked my boyfriend, who was traveling with me, to step up and answer some questions too -- when my boyfriend revealed his ignorance of the Spanish language, they decided that I was an OK American tourist and not an evil prostitute out to steal tricks from hardworking Spaniards :spain:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 23, 2014

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Have some El Jueves:

Rajoy: The crishish is over!
Bystander: They're even scarier when they're happy.

Title: The PP commemorate assuming the government with an exposition on employment
Permanent Contract
Man: Wow! This is an original, you said?
Woman: You heard me.

(employment in Spain is typically by contract. Since the crisis employers have been really cagey about hiring people the way Americans think of hiring - that is, a person gets hired and they stay on, barring massive fuckup, basically indefinitely. Most employers just extend 6 month - 1 year contracts, trapping even employed people live in uncertainty.)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Oh yeah, and related to DXH's effortpost about Little Nicky:

Little Nicky refuses to testify in court!
Nicky: I plead the fifth!
Judge: You're not in a loving movie!

A hilarious/depressing number of Spanish kids I knew in school were not aware of the finer differences between Spanish and American law (in part due to the influence of American movies and TV shows) so there are indeed Spaniards who would believe that the Bill of Rights apply to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Just wait til you see El Mundo.

• Locked thread