Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

YF-23 posted:

The surprise isn't that Podemos is a thing that happened, the surprise is that it's a thing it hasn't been happening everywhere else as well. Greece has SYRIZA, sure, but even though there is a lot of left-wing dissent against austerity and right-wing economic policies it is only Greece and Spain that have had parties which effectively capitalised on that. It is really fertile ground, but no-one has really taken it up in countries like Italy, Portugal, France or the UK.

It is probably mostly because of party dynamics and how that anger was channeled. Portugal does already have 2 major(ish) leftist parties beyond a traditional-center left one, but there hasn't been an opening for a comparable "new left" party at this point.

France has had FN pick up those votes and the left has grow pretty weak. UKIP in Britain is comparable I guess, but less radicalized.

Italy MS5 and Lega Nord are picking up the protest votes, MS5 especially seems to want to be everything to everyone while clearly there are moving in a more rightward direction as time has gone on (from bits and pieces I have read). There are a still a cipher though.

My take is that are parties that are picking up those votes, they just necessarily leftist ones. I guess one other thing is that both Spain and Greece had the experience of politically charged civil wars, and that might have left the political landscape more permanently radicalized. As more traditional and centrist institutions have failed, familiar fissures have opened up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

What's that orange line that starts in 2012 and appears to be becoming the 4th largest party?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_%E2%80%93_Party_of_the_Citizenry

"Citizens," a liberal center-left party that is against Catalan separatism.

• Locked thread