Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

ruddiger posted:

Classic atheist response.

There's nothing intellectually honest about that guys posts. They drip of desperation and denial, and end up reading like ocd ramblings of a person who needs to fit every piece of a puzzle into its exact proper place, and if it doesn't fit the exact way he wants it, he'll cut off the corners to make it fit.

There's nothing interesting about his 2+2=4 logic because movies aren't math and there's more to the art of storytelling than the same stupid c-word bullshit, but if you like hearing the same boring "hey didja know" trivia that keeps getting repeated in these threads, by all means. I personally like going into movies with a different mindset when watching something for the 182nd time.

I actually thought this was about SMG, it describes him perfectly, but on learning it was about Xeno, I'm genuinely baffeled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Eh, I'm unconvinced.

"Who are we really talking about now?" Standard response of threatened chatbots and psychologists.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There is no conspiracy against you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Xenomorph likes a thing you guys don't, and you're all super mad about it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Xenomorph likes a thing you guys don't, and you're all super mad about it.

I like these movies without making excuses for them. I can enjoy them and interpret them in a myriad of ways because I am a person who enjoys exercising my brain and can recognize that these movies are also written by people with the same level of critical thinking.

I don't have to justify continuity and alternate timelines and whatever other dumb poo poo guys like xeno get hung up on. I don't have to break out my embarrassing fanfic and comic book collection to make sense of a movie that has enough content to stand on its own.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I like these movies without making excuses for them. I can enjoy them and interpret them in a myriad of ways because I am a person who enjoys exercising my brain and can recognize that these movies are also written by people with the same level of critical thinking.

I don't have to justify continuity and alternate timelines and whatever other dumb poo poo guys like xeno get hung up on. I don't have to break out my embarrassing fanfic and comic book collection to make sense of a movie that has enough content to stand on its own.

God loving forbid someone share their interpretation of a particular form of media in a thread dedicated to discussing that media on an internet forum.

Doesn't Xeno know that you personally forbid behavior like that? what a loving nerd!!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

When have I even mentioned comic books in this thread, or fanfiction, or whatever you're rambling about?

I mean holy poo poo, project much?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Uh, yeah, this reads like venting pent-up rage using Xeno as a straw man. Don't be jealous that people can find enjoyment in these movies.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
i enjoy terminator movies, some more than others.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

When have I even mentioned comic books in this thread, or fanfiction, or whatever you're rambling about?

I mean holy poo poo, project much?

Your very first post in this thread.

Like, man, that's a loving constant with your posting.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xeno gets no small amount of poo poo from a lot of people here, and is always pretty calm and level-headed in his responses to their attacks. It really makes the attacking cunts lose their minds, which is glorious.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

broken clock opsec posted:

Your very first post in this thread.

Like, man, that's a loving constant with your posting.
I went looking for my first post and yeah I mention some comics, but it's as a side topic for people who are interested in the Terminator series outside of the movies. It's not like I'm saying "Uh EXCUSE ME guys, but ACTUALLY if you read Terminator issue #217, you'll know that John Connor really in fact meant blah blah blah blah" or whatever the hell ruddiger is trying to characterize me as. It's me saying "hey guys, if you like Terminator, some of you might not know there are Terminator comics and some of them are cool and fun".
On page 7 of a thread that had already strayed from movie talk and was talking about the Terminator TV show.
And some people responded to parts of my post, and some people didn't and that was the end of it, and the thread moved on.

Yeah I talk about comics or videogames or whatever sometimes, because they can be cool and fun too. Sometimes people like talking about it, too (and we've had pages-long derails in this thread about the Terminator TV series), but it's not like I'm saying "but but but GUYSSSSSS I wanna talk about COMIC BOOOOOOKS" and trying to derail the thread or whatever the gently caress. I mention it, and if someone wants to talk about it, that's cool. If not, hey whatever.

But ruddiger thinks the civil and productive thing to do is to necro-post in a month-dead thread to call me out about a post from over a year ago, I guess? When my most recent posts in this thread were agreeing with his point that Genisys has interesting things to say? Uhh, what?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ruddiger posted:

Your posting is so full of hatred and bile about how others engage with film that it shows you to be a lot less smart than you think you are.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The older I get, the less I understand why my younger self would ever want to convince somebody that something they like is bad.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Xeno gets no small amount of poo poo from a lot of people here, and is always pretty calm and level-headed in his responses to their attacks. It really makes the attacking cunts lose their minds, which is glorious.

I'm not losing my mind, I just like being creative when insulting people on the Internet. It's more clever than just calling people cunts, you should try it sometime.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ruddiger posted:

I'm not losing my mind, I just like being creative when insulting people on the Internet. It's more clever than just calling people cunts, you should try it sometime.

There is nothing clever about any of your posts in this thread.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

I just like being creative when insulting people on the Internet. It's more clever than just calling people cunts, you should try it sometime.
Try harder, you're really bad at it. Like if you're going to call me out on being a nerd fanboy with no standards who can find enjoyment in the dumbest poo poo (guilty as charged, by the way), at least be funny about it.

LividLiquid posted:

The older I get, the less I understand why my younger self would ever want to convince somebody that something they like is bad.
Seriously.

Like I appreciate seeing other people's criticisms because sometimes it introduces me to a way of thinking that I hadn't considered and lets me recognize flaws in a work I'd have otherwise missed or wasn't sure how to articulate.
But if someone enjoys something that I don't, it's no skin off my nose.

And now actual movie chat.

I've got a Terminator Salvation question, the big "twist" in the movie is that Marcus is a robot and doesn't know it. Are there other movies that play with the same idea of a character being revealed to be not what they thought they were, such that they might not even be able to trust themselves? Does the Manchurian Candidate (either one) do that? I want to say that it does but it's been forever since I watched it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

There is nothing clever about any of your posts in this thread.

Pretty clever response.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

I've got a Terminator Salvation question, the big "twist" in the movie is that Marcus is a robot and doesn't know it. Are there other movies that play with the same idea of a character being revealed to be not what they thought they were, such that they might not even be able to trust themselves? Does the Manchurian Candidate (either one) do that? I want to say that it does but it's been forever since I watched it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Christ, the obvious one. I can't believe I forgot about that. :doh:

I think the movie Impostor kinda does, too? The Philip K Dick story definitely does.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Xenomrph posted:

I've got a Terminator Salvation question, the big "twist" in the movie is that Marcus is a robot and doesn't know it. Are there other movies that play with the same idea of a character being revealed to be not what they thought they were, such that they might not even be able to trust themselves?

Y'oughta check out a game called Soma. It's like 70% of the way to being a movie anyhow.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Both Xeno and SMG are great posters. They're literally two of the best parts of this forum. Posters like these two seperate CD from poo poo like aintitcool or /r/movies. Jokes and fun posts are great and all, but I love reading their in-depth discussions with other posters - it's a real highlight for me. I just don't understand why this forum wants to make itself worse.

Xeno, SMG, keep space trucking. That dude who posted the dog video can go get lost. If you don't want to read about movies, stay off of movie forums.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SMG's posts are great because he stands by his statements and expounds upon them instead of shrugging his shoulders and saying "well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree" followed by a variation of :shobon:

Now let me explain to you why Lady Terminator needs to be worked into James Cameron's lore.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 27, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xenomrph posted:

Christ, the obvious one. I can't believe I forgot about that. :doh:

I think the movie Impostor kinda does, too? The Philip K Dick story definitely does.

I just reread the book a couple of days ago and this is actually wrong. Rachel Rosen has been aware of her being an android all along, after her and Deckard gently caress she tells him she's actually been banging bounty hunters all over the planet which caused all of them except for one to stop retiring Androids, she even tells him that all of them threatened to kill her but none of them actually did. The book plays with the notion of people being androids while not being personally aware of it but in both cases this gets brought up it either turns out the person is actually a human or has secretly known he's an android all along.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ruddiger posted:

SMG's posts are great because he stands by his statements and expounds upon them instead of shrugging his shoulders and saying "well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree" followed by a variation of :shobon:

Now let me explain to you why Lady Terminator needs to be worked into James Cameron's lore.

Not only are you infinitesimally less clever than you think you are but your complaints so far haven't had a god-damned thing to do with how Xenomrph actually posts anyway. You're coming off as senile for Christ's sake, get some help.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ruddiger posted:

I don't find this to be a quality.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

LividLiquid posted:

Or visa versa.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

ruddiger posted:

I think your just a oval office

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I just reread the book a couple of days ago and this is actually wrong.

Xenomrph posted:

Are there other movies that play with the same idea of a character being revealed to be not what they thought they were, such that they might not even be able to trust themselves?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nah it's cool, it's been forever since I read the book and it's neat to see how the movie handles the source material differently. The nature of being human (and self-identifying as such) is a pretty big theme, I didn't remember that the book handled it so differently.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I think your just a oval office

You're.

e: also,

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 27, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I think your oval office

What about his oval office

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xenomrph posted:

Nah it's cool, it's been forever since I read the book and it's neat to see how the movie handles the source material differently. The nature of being human (and self-identifying as such) is a pretty big theme, I didn't remember that the book handled it so differently.

The movie and the book have very different plots and the book deals with the subject of empathy in a much more detailed and central manner but I think both ultimately have the same message concerning the big philosophical question at the core of the plot, Androids are 100% human, they might not be quite as emotionally developed as natural humans are but that is at best a temporary condition and at worst actually an illusory concept, the Androids consider themselves to be selfish and lacking in empathy but after Deckard kills the androids Rachel goes and kills his goat to avenge them, and the androids do ultimately care for each other and try to find safety and comfort in each other's company even while boasting about how cold, calculated and uncaring they are.

Not to mention the whole unresolved discussion of whether certain 'Specials' are also inhuman by the criteria of the empathy tests due to not showing an acceptable amount of empathy and the such. The book makes it plenty clear that they have personal ambitions and dream of being free and just pursuing their own interests, the personification of empathy even tells Deckard that killing androids is wrong.

It really is a fantastic novel, I should rewatch the movie as well.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Burkion posted:

Sir, are you transphobic?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

I've got a Terminator Salvation question, the big "twist" in the movie is that Marcus is a robot and doesn't know it. Are there other movies that play with the same idea of a character being revealed to be not what they thought they were, such that they might not even be able to trust themselves?

Total Recall?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Are there other movies that play with the same idea of a character being revealed to be not what they thought they were, such that they might not even be able to trust themselves?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

well why not posted:

Both Xeno and SMG are great posters.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA.

Let's not get too crazy here.

Xeno is my bro though. I feel like I'm sometimes chasing after his posts to be all "YES I ALSO FEEL THIS WAY" in various subforums here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Memento is about this in so many ways.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Also the DiCaprio Trilogy of Departed, Shutter Island, and Inception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Burkion posted:

It's a metaphor for the alien life cycle and how it relates to the cyclical discussion in these threads.

Oh wait, I thought this was the Prometheus thread. That's senility for you.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 28, 2015

• Locked thread