Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I wish they would bury the Terminator franchise forever so that nobody can make more bad movies with it.

I think the first two Terminator movies were a product of their time. People were afraid of both the sudden emergence of computers everywhere and also the looming threat of nuclear war. I remember both having Sarah Connor-esque nightmares and also seeing the C64 at the house of a friend and being amazed at so many technical possibilities for so little money. It just hit close to home, something which might be hard to follow with a different mindset so many years later. The time Terminator 3 rolled around those fears weren't in the heads of the people anymore, everyone used computers day-to-day and the cold war was over for good. It just seemed so far away. That being said, I liked three even though it was not nearly as good as the other two. Also Schwarzenegger was seriously too old for the role of the T-800 in 2003 and I have no idea what business he has reprising it in 2015.

And Salvation? Hell, I must have seen it two times and I don't even remember the plot. That movie was just so .. I wanna say dumb, but no, that doesn't cut it. Just unmemorable. Just so mediocre across the entire board which makes it loving terrible because that future war setting was exactly what I wanted to see since Terminator 2 and I just can't imagine how you can make such a setting so boring without setting this as your goal. I assume Genisys (and yes Browser spell checker, underline that word - it is the right thing to do) will just be like so many other movies nowadays - great special effects, forgettable albeit consistent plot and completely soulless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
But was the average not-middle-eastern-dwelling joe really afraid of being blasted by a drone or other computer-driven machinerey sometime in the last 15 years? I personally do not think so. Getting nuked on the other hand was a very common and relateable fear you'd find in all levels of society, which would sort of flow and ebb with what the news were reporting (nothing like checking the internet and watching some firsthand-youtube videos of events either, the official version or nothing) same thing with the computers really. First of all people had a very hard time estimating what a computer can and cannot do and that these things kept evolving and multiplying their efficiency quite noticeably in cycles spanning months (not years) didn't exactly help with that bad understanding either. Peoples lives were actually impacted by having their work taken away by machines. It sounds kinda silly nowadays, but this is what was happening, and also already happened the decade before. It was not only computers themselves, many branches of industry were affected or started being affected by the widespread usage of this technology and doing things computer-aided, and also by what quick advancements computer aided design, research and engineering brought to even unrelated industries. People who couldn't adapt to that (and there were quite a few) would find themselves to be outsiders more and more. A movie where this was taken to the logical conclusion of those fears where the technology sort of developed out of human control and started an active genocide with (amongst other things) nuclear weapons just played right into that. Then there was that machine, relentlessly hunting down people with no emotion. Is the C64 in that room of my friend perhaps an early ancestor of that machine? That was scary stuff to think about and did not seem technologically as improbable as it seems now. (Fun fact: Arnies HUD in The Terminator has a scene where you can clearly read 6502 assembler code, that was "a relative" of the CPU used in the C64)

The whole T-X reprogramming thing was kinda lame, really. Her making that sexually pleasured face at every reprogramming was a bit weird. I guess it did play with the concept that pretty much everything is computerized nowadays, but I don't think this fact shocked or even bothered many people in 2003. I think 2000ish was the time where some of the "hardliners" I know who didn't like computers through their 90s started dropping their last fears and prejudices and started using them themselves privately because it just was so practical to do so and everyone else did.

I'm not saying you couldn't make an interesting terminator film anymore, I just think nobody in Hollywood is going to pull that one off in the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Corrected the 6502 thing, mixed up my MOS Chips!

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 9, 2015

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

quote:

In the early script drafts, John was a secondary character. Producer James Middleton explained "Ben-Hur was influenced by Jesus Christ, but it was his story. Much in that way, this [new main] character will be influenced by John Connor."[55] The original ending was to have John killed, and his image kept alive by the resistance by grafting his skin onto Marcus' cybernetic body.

This is all I could find on Wikipedia. I can't get over how stupid and boring salvation was and I don't think this would have saved it. Also Connor/Bale never seemed to be the main character of the film to begin with, but that probably has to do with Christian Bales one-dimensional acting more than with anything else.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I would not be worried by people losing menial jobs to machines mid-term or even long term. The technology just is too expensive and it's much easier (and also less risky and expensive) to just put a college kid there. The world would have to change a ton for such technologies to become cheap, viable and widespread enough to actually replace humans in low-level work. It's just not worth it. There's also always the psychological factor. Even in higher paid jobs where the technology would be an easier fit and it would actually be worth it to replace the humans it does not happen because of lots of red tape and also people not willing to have the humans replaced. Many people would not want to sit in an Airbus that has no Windows where the Cockpit would be and no (human) Pilots, even though a Computer does most of the flying nowadays.

I think the thought process of Skynet would be so alien to something a human mind is developed like that things like guilt, remorse or even hate would be completely strange to it. A lot of what defines what we are is our biological makeup and the kind of upbringing and impressions we have in our early years. I mean, look at the world and how it is. There are so many humans living on it with so many different perspectives sometimes completely alien to each other that in the most extreme cases they don't even see the other humans as "real people like them" and can genuinely not understand their motives. And that's only humans. Interesting about Skynet is that it absolutely lacks that phase of upbringing in which we humans are classically imprinted with things like a moral code and told what is appropriate behavior or not. Skynet, after the movies definition would pretty much be mostly comparable to a feral child that basically just reacts on an instinctive level as it never had that phase or something like parental figures.

I honestly also think what Skynet is was never put much of a thought into by Cameron.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
When you build something like skynet you'd think you'd do at least one test run in an simulated enviroment before you put the system in control of the entire nuclear arsenal but I guess that's what government contract work is all about

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I think they had Cameron in TSCC eating, I don't fully remember though. In that show they also had one Terminator force a scientist to make him a new skinsuit, were it was alluded to that that stuff just looks the same but works differently than what people have. I guess it's not canon but with this franchise what's canon really.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
The show also showed the earlier infiltration model with rubber skin, that was a pretty good episode.

The human form isn't just some random clay-like substance randomly attached to a skeleton, there are many complexities going into a human looking like a human. That's why with every try to portray a mock-human realistically over the centuries (and specifically with computer technology in the last 30 years) it still only takes our brains a split second or at worst a double-take to look through that ruse nearly instantly.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

PriorMarcus posted:

Matt Smith is part of Connor's team when they find the time machine. Reese gets ready to go back in time and just as the machine is activated Matt Smith turns into a swirling cloud of nano-terminators and kills everyone in the room except Connor who he half infects and makes a zombie nano-terminator himself. The main villain of the entire new saga is Connor the zombie nano-terminator. Matt Smith/Connor may or may not be actual Skynet given physical form as a cloud of CGI nano-terminators.

That is incredibly lame.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
After all these years I still don't get why the T1000 was even naked. Or well, had a naked form. Also he was not living tissue. This directly contradicted the first movie. :colbert:

Also I have to say, for many years the second one was my favorite and it is still a great movie, but last time I watched the two I came to the conclusion that I like the first one better.

Young people these days only get poo poo movies like Geneyeyisiysis, it's kinda sad.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Honestly that living tissue is all that can pass the ~time machine~ doesn't really make any sense to begin with but you can also overthink things

E: and yes I engineered lots of time machines what of it

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Kush posted:

Speaking of bad makeup:

How is that possible?

maybe someone mistook that noggin for a potato and tried to peel it

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I don't like how none of the people in this movie look like the role they're supposed to have. The most grizzled and combat-like character seems to be Schwarzenegger and for god's sakes, he's almost 70. I'm no movie buff but don't you kinda wanna have your actors "look the part" so to speak? Sarah Connor looks like ditzy girlfriend #3.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Sleeveless posted:

-cocaine noises-

I think these times are over and the movie industry really suffers from it as a result.

So how bad is it exactly?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
T3 was good, it felt like kind of a let-down after T1 and T2 but it was kinda cursed to be. The Terminator movies were already a while back, had almost mythical meaning for fans and were ingrained in popular culture, those were incredibly hard odds to beat. Alright, it wasn't a *great* movie and certainly not groundbreaking, but it also didn't deserve the reaction it got from people when it came out. The expectations were just too high. I think with time it's seen more favourable and it's certainly not the abyss of suckiness that salvation was, which will probably be the worst terminator forever, even including genisys.

I know I'm late to the party but I recently watched genesysisyis, and man I went in knowing very little about the movie and even wanting to like it, because - hey! A terminator movie with Arnie who would've thought that'll ever happen again - but I just can't like it. It's impossible. It's just bad. I even want to be very very favourable and say it had it's moments but man, in general I can just say I don't know what that movie was. I guess there there were lots of terminators in it! Regarding the plot - I guess, well, you could say there was an attempt. In one of the more quiet scenes I basically missed the dialogue because the camera was shaking around like the cameraman was furiously masturbating while filming and it was just that distracting. These are my experiences with Genisys. It was kinda sad to see this a few days after I've seen that making-of of T2 for the first time. I think there was more love and thought put into five minutes of T2 than the entire length of Genisys.

TSCC will probably always remain the best and also most faithful continuation of the first two movies that'll ever exist. It's a pity that show didn't get a better chance and really had killer pacing problems. I have absolutely no hope anymore that there will ever be anything good coming out of this franchise.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Xenomrph posted:

Latest from the producers of Genisys are that they're still moving forward on another Terminator movie, they're just reassessing how they want to handle it. (Source)

quote:

The company plans to use “data and research to do a worldwide study and really talk to audiences about what they loved, and what maybe didn’t work for them, so that the next we take with the franchise is the right one.”

I really wish they would stop doing this. It produces exactly the kind bland messes that Genisys is. (Yes Firefox, put a red squiggly line under that word. It is the right thing to do.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Some of you people take movies about robot shootymans far to seriously IMHO.

• Locked thread