Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cnut the Great posted:

The obvious question then is, why bother? Why does Skynet care about the wellbeing of its alternate timeline iteration? Is it just a final "gently caress you" with no real logic behind it?

And why does the human resistance send back agents to protect the Sarah and John Connor of an alternate universe? Out of a sense of extreme trans-universal altruism?
Heh, I was actually thinking along those lines when I saw Edge of TomorrowLive Die Repeat... If the current timeline doesn't vanish when it's reset, there's an awful lot of universes where the girl gets thrown in jail/executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

I think that was also cut from the directors cut.
There's apparently a fan "ultimate" cut that includes it but it also has the stupid original ending. Because more is more, I guess.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sef! posted:

I wonder if that kind of tone was ever considered. Cameron strikes me as too smart (and too relentless) of a writer not to have at least given it some thought. But I do wonder if either the studio or Schwarzenegger pushed him into painting the T-800 as more boldly heroic right from the start, rather than as an actual, unfeeling killing machine, which slowly gains morality as the story progresses.
I've never consciously considered it, but you're right, it would probably have been better for the T-800 to kill someone before being given that commandment. I mean, it's called a Terminator but it never even kills anyone - unless you saw the first one, it comes off as more of a brusque bully than a lethal killing machine. I kind of brushed off the biker scene thinking that it didn't need to kill anyone to get what it wanted, but that would not have stopped the 1984 one.

I absolutely think Arnold had something to do with that. Also, (R-rating be damned) the movie is clearly trying to appeal to a younger audience. I don't think you make your main character a teenager to rope in the adults. That seems to have worked perfectly for a lot of us - T2 was the single greatest thing I had ever encountered when I first saw it at an impressionable age, and to this day I still have a hard time objectively thinking of it as Just A Movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Senor Tron posted:

Mind just blown by discovering that lots of the T-1000 effects were actually done with puppets. I wondered why some of them looked a lot better than others.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EYQMfT6nsQs
Yeah, I think it was the Terminator Vault book that pointed out that the movie was really a triumph of practical effects and makeup, but of course it's the 1% that was CG that gets the press because of the novelty.

Xenomrph posted:

I'm going to stray into the realm of "lol fanfiction" a little bit and post this website. It's been around for years and it's got some neat ideas and stuff, but by far the coolest is the birth of Skynet. Written well before T3, it characterizes Skynet as a largely sympathetic entity in its attempted destruction of humanity on Judgment Day. T3's depiction portrays Skynet as a clever and malicious entity pretty much right from the start, but that link's depiction shows Judgment Day as basically being an extreme form of self-defense. It's a pretty neat idea.
This website is actually very neat if you're in the mood for some fanwankery daydreaming. I've wasted many hours on it in the past.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pierson posted:

I had no idea those were puppets, those were incredible. Are there any more videos like that of stuff people assumed was CGI but was really just incredible practical?
Definitely not "incredible," but a lot of people assume the Alien running around on the corridors in Alien 3 is bad CG because of the terrible green color tint (it's actually a miniature rod puppet filmed with motion-controlled cameras and optically(?) inserted).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've always thought the first one was most succinctly labeled as a thriller - there's a lot of dread and tension but only some outright horror (when Ginger gets executed, for instance). Calling it simply "action" seems like going too far in the other direction.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does anybody know if he actually shaved his eyebrows or if it's just makeup? After all, De Niro's mohawk in Taxi Driver is fake so it seems possible. I don't know how long eyebrows take to regrow, but I would think that might be a bit awkward to walk around with everyday.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sasquatch! posted:

When in the movie did he lose them?
When they escape Tech Noir, Reese blows up a parked car with his Movie Magic™ shotgun. The T-800 runs through the fireball and loses them, along with being generally singed (he's still smoking when the cop calls in the hit-and-run). I think his hairline moves up too. Now that I think about it he must have trimmed his hair in the repair montage because it's spiky from that point on; I've never been consciously aware of that before. Checking/adjusting his hair in the mirror always seemed a tiny bit incongruous for a killing machine, but it makes total sense if he had to give himself a haircut.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hbomberguy posted:

The Terminator's final stand: It sends a female t-800 to 1957, where it publishes Atlas Shrugged.

Implausible. Terminators can learn the value of human life.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Milky Moor posted:

It's maybe the only scene from the Director's Cut that I think you could leave out with no ill effect.
I thought the Miles Dyson scene with his kids talking about going to Raging Waters or whatever was completely extraneous.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Groovelord Neato posted:

Several of the scenes are extraneous - the T-1000 running its hands along John's walls and looking at the dog's collar. Even the activation of the neutral net processor is extraneous.
The processor-switch scene was at least cool looking and showed Sarah finally yielding some control to John. I can't remember any other scene of Sarah actually listening to what John says.

The Miles Dyson scene tells us that the CPU is revolutionary, that Miles works too much, and that he loves his family or whatever, all of which are indirectly shown in other scenes. Plus it's super boring.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I've thought a Western-themed Terminator would be quite good for some time. The Back To The Future Part Three of the Terminator franchise.
Sounds like either a SyFy Original or a comic book. THE WESTINATOR: RUSTLIN' DAY

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What would the "evil" Terminators have done if they succeeded in killing their respective Connor? Lie low until the war starts or high-tail it to the closest defense contractor and "surrender?"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don't know why this annoys me so much, but it's Connor, not Conner.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

JediTalentAgent posted:

Also, bucket's programming prevents it from self-emptying... Someone else will have to pour him into the drain.

"I now know why you dry... But it is something I can never do..."
:drat:

As for the T-1000's applicability in the future war, plasma rifles would probably make short work of one once they spot it since it doesn't deal well with high temperatures. Of course that part isn't trivial, and it probably would vanish pretty quick into the junk piles if they spot it in the open. You can also easily explain away the lack of mass-production to it being too time consuming, too resource intensive, etc. Maybe you can churn out five HK flyers for the same energy it takes to build one T-1000.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Burkion posted:

Apparently you got it reversed, maybe. The fact that he's a T-100 means he's an Arnold Class. T-110 might be Stallone and so on.
The T designation isn't used for the exterior. Arnold plays a T-800 Model 101 in the first movie. But yes, I think the one shooting up the resistance base in T1 was supposed to be either a Model 102 or 100.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Hmm, are these supposed to be different punks because of timeline wankery? They didn't try to match the looks that well.

Also Brian Thompson would have made an awesome Terminator

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Much like Jurassic World, the thread leading up to the release is doomed to be more entertaining than the movie itself. :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Young Freud posted:

It always made me wonder if any military surplus store had a hidden cache of guns instead of just camo clothes, MREs, and various doohickeys.
According to the documentary Falling Down, yes. Might even score some Zyklon-B!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MisterBibs posted:

According to some fan site that I always liked (but can never remember), it's simple/horrific computerthink: Skynet has plans to kill every single human and wants to do it in an organized fashion. Part of that is the tracking of every single human from capture/discovery to final deletion.

If you just shoot every one of them you see, you'll never be sure if you really got everyone. But if you collect, tag them and methodically kill them all, you know how much you're doing.
Pretty sure you're thinking of Terminator: 2029 AD.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
As long as we're allowed to post stupid ideas by the Thread Thought Police, you could totally do a crossover with The Fly too (have the merge happen during the time displacement). Presumably bugs are still around in Laser Future since they would be impossible eradicate without killing all humans (outside of pseudo-biblical catastrophes like The Road, anyway). Terminators walking on the ceiling and melting people!! I would give one or maybe even two thoughts about buying that comic if it was on sale for next to nothing!!!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ah, so they're going to make a cheaper movie intentionally made for international audiences like the last Die Hard movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Uh, yeah, this reads like venting pent-up rage using Xeno as a straw man. Don't be jealous that people can find enjoyment in these movies.

• Locked thread