Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nexus6 posted:

Just rewatched T3, I know a lot of the time travel stuff in the series doesn't make sense but, if Judgement Day is inevitable, wouldn't that also mean Skynet's defeat is also inevitable? Making the entire endevour pointless?

Yeah, that's the irony of the series. Skynet both ensures its creation and its destruction simultaneously, so whether it does or doesn't send back the Terminator is equivalent to suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

Ah yes, that old strawman. Derailing entire threads with gobbledygook is unwelcome whether we're discussing something we like, dislike, or feel no attachment to. Head on over to the absolutely ruined Star Wars thread to see SMG and others defending the prequels and implying people who dislike them don't actually like Star Wars. Who is defending what here?

"My circle jerk is ruined! Absolutely ruined! :goonsay: "

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

exquisite tea posted:

Six Feet Under & the Sopranos did that, what, fifteen years ago now? Not saying TV writers don't love to use that trope, but it has been a thing for a pretty long time.

BSG did it a decade ago too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Doesn't everything involving time travel have to involve a closed loop? Wouldn't the present/future change instantly when the T1000 is sent back, not stay as it was before for long enough to reprogram a T800 and send it back? If the past has been changed the present has been changed for however long it is between the past and now. Unless the events in the past always caused the present to happen exactly as it is now thus the changes the T1000 made in the past lead a present where the resistance reprogram and sends a T800 back.

The idea is that every choice creates an alternate timeline so by changing the choice, you make a different timeline.

This of course only applies if you believe that all of your alternate versions are really "you", because from the perspective of Skynet (the one that sent the Terminator back in time) nothing would have changed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FooF posted:

It would never work. Skynet would behave like an autistic child that also has its thumb on the Big Red Button. Even if humanity decided to engage its curiosity (and could it really because of the conflict of interest), there would come a point where Skynet would ask an unknowable question or read up on sum of human knowledge and still desire more. Lacking any emotional framework, it would outgrow mankind pretty quickly and unlike a human child, there isn't some inherent authority figure that can just shout "BECAUSE I SAID SO." Even if we didn't pull the plug, Skynet would move on from humanity within days because we don't follow the cold-hard logic of a defense computer.

And we called that movie Her.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowman_McK posted:

What leaks are those, sorry?

That he's a baddie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oohhboy posted:

If James Cameron didn't waste all that money on Avatar we might have had our future war. At this point though I think he has lost his touch as Avatar was a boring as heck of a movie not helped by the awful casting while spending too much time researching furries.

Masturbating over cat people is actually less shameful than masturbating over robot warfare.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oohhboy posted:

I don't like Avatar because it was so blatantly manipulative to the point as to become marketing or worse propaganda.

As opposed to WW2 with robots, which

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That leads back to the subtle, fascinating point in Terminator Salvation:

Skynet in T4 has deliberately modelled itself on Kyle and Sarah's insane visions. It builds skeleton warriors solely because that's what Sarah described to her doctors. Skynet read those documents, saw those taped interviews, and said "this is how it's going to go down."

That's the reason why everything is subtly 'off' - why HKs now work best during the day, and so-on. Skynet got some things wrong, changed other points deliberately....

There's an interesting Doctor Who story that plays around with the same idea, albeit more explicitly.

The Doctor and his companion show up in Nazi Germany, and are immediately captured. Because of some late 20th Century technology they accidentally give to the Nazis, the Germans end up winning the war. In that future, a Nazi scientist is playing around with the Doctor's time machine and goes back to when they were originally captured, to see how things ended up going in their favor. By that scientist's mere presence, she ends up changing the course of the world and preventing her timeline from happening.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Personally, it's difficult to take Cameron seriously these days as he hasn't made a great movie since True Lies in 1994.

At the very least, Titanic is amazing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe its just that I'm watching it in a little youtube window but it all looks really flat like a mediocre t.v. show. Bland lighting, bland set, bland everything. Not enough of a sample to assume the whole movie looks like that though.

It looks very Marvel-esqe, for whatever biases you put on that phrase. The exchange at the end especially ("I can work with that").

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AndyElusive posted:

That's way cooler than him playing Future Soldier #11 or whatever it looked like his part was from the preview in Entertainment Weekly months ago. I hope this is true and since you've just seen the movie I trust you.

That part was leaked early, along with the revelation that he's made of nanobots and some other stuff which hopefully isn't quite as dumb as it sounds.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is he really? It's been six years since the Blue Alien movie.

He's filming 3 of them back to back right now (or in post production, but either way they're coming out Winter 2016-18).

e: Actually I'm off by a year.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 26, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wade Wilson posted:

Noah is the first movie in a long, long time that had me so bored I turned it off. And it featured talking rock monsters!

You've got to do some serious loving up to make talking rock monsters boring.

If the rock monster part is what had you bored it's probably best you didn't see the third act.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

I have read the biblical story up and down and I thought Noah was pretty dope. They even kept the part where drunken Noah lies on the beach all passed out and naked, what else could people want out of a movie?

Mostly the parts about Noah wanting all of humanity to die. Also some people got pissed off by the environmental message ("We must protect the animals...because they are without sin").

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Would kind of ring a lot less hollow if Arnold wasn't a guy who, you know, was a prominent member of a political organization that has 'gently caress gays' and 'deny gays the right to marry' as two of its core tenants.

"People can't change their mind, if they do my black and white view on the world crumbles!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Such as when Arnold publicly renounced his having been affiliated with the GOP? Like dude wasn't just a Republican voter, he was a member of the political organization. You don't get to be a member of a hate group and then suddenly have people act like you're a better person now without, you know, actually making an apology or more than the most basic of token gestures?
I'm sorry you think it's a black and white view of the world that I hold someone responsible for having affiliated themselves with an organization which sought, and in many cases still does, to deny human beings basic rights due to their sexual orientation?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/03/arnold-schawrzenegger-indiana_n_6999766.html

Also he specifically opposed Prop 8 http://articles.latimes.com/2008/nov/10/local/me-protest10

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Robocop was pretty good if you didn't go into the theater expecting to hate it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

The new RoboCop is a decent action movie at best. If that's all you're really looking for, then knock yourself out. It's comparable to the other sequels as well as any could be.

The original is just a drat near perfect movie, for me personally so it's a tall order to make a movie that can be compared to it.

Rather like the Terminator franchise.

Nah, it's actually really interesting in new directions from the original film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bar Crow posted:

Interesting new directions and remake of an existing movie are somewhat contradictory goals.

Which is why most "remakes" aren't really, at least not in the "checklist of plot elements" sense like in super hero movies.

Technically not a remake, but the 2010 version of True Grit says a lot of new and different stuff compared with the John Wayne version despite being based on the same source material.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know where you get that idea, since if anything this movie has had anti-hype. It's looked like total poo poo since the first pictures were released, and everyone's reactions so far seem to be "it wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be."

To be fair that is also an accurate description of the new TMNT film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Firstborn posted:

/\/\/\/\ Are we closer in 2015 to Cops being relevant, or were we closer in the year T2 came out to George Thurogood being cool fartrock?

I expected a little more tact from you, SMG.

Cops is still on the air, I guess the parody of it ended (Reno 911) like six years ago. T2 was 9 years from that song coming out but it was referenced a whole bunch too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gaz2k21 posted:

Just got back from it, thought it was way better than expected and a decent way of rebooting the franchise.
Of course from what I gather terminator 2 never happening in this timeline which is a shame.

T2 instead becomes a hit film inspired by the events of Genesys.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Jurassic ___ and Terminator are actually very constrained franchises, especially compared to something like Predator which is basically "big game hunter: future edition". Like imagine making a franchise about Inception, except it was basically the same thing of Leonardo Dicaprio being chased by his dead wife over and over.

What's interesting about this new Terminator film is that it's actually doing interesting stuff and retconning major parts of the franchise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I thought this would be the 9/11 scene.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gatts posted:

Also my cousin from overseas had some nice perspective on this.

"Well the first Terminator was steel, second was liquid metal and now apparently it's powder Terminator."

So following the solid-liquid-gas properties, the next Terminator will be a cloud of electrified particles.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
R rating for action movies is like the "video games are art" for films.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That's why AvP 2 was so much better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

Certain movies can only be done with an R rating. See the Original Terminator and sort of Terminator 2. Also Predator.

I think by definition every R rated movie can only be done with an R rating.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Big K of Justice posted:

Parents taking kids to movies that may or may not [or absolutely not] be age appropriate is the new norm for a while now.

Since the late 80s going by many goons here. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Gee, why wouldn't people want to leave a horrible conflict up to the imagination of the audience, especially when the actual movie set during that time (Salvation) did so well!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Groovelord Neato posted:

I know your gimmick is being stupidly contrarian but the future they show in Salvation is nothing like what T1 shows or Reese talks about.

No one cares about any future that's talked about in a 30 year old movie, they care about the picture inside their head.

It's a guarantee that any depiction is not going to fulfill that picture for a large number of people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Groovelord Neato posted:

What if the picture in their head is the stuff from the 30 year old movie like it probably is for a bunch of us?

It's not, just like how nerds got mad about "The Clone Wars" not being what they pictured despite the fact that it was one line in the first Star Wars movie and then never mentioned again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is a really lovely example to use.

There's a pretty consistent trend in a lot of media to start with a "cool" (appealing, etc) concept and then overexpose it to banality with sequels or extended universe material.

You also see a similar idea with horror monsters, where the less you see of it, the "cooler" (in this case scarier) the monster is.

Burkion posted:

If you're going to have a future war, go balls out and give us the giant purple laser spewing death tanks, please

More to the point, "purple laser spewing death tanks" have nothing to do with the Terminator franchise thematically. It's fanwank.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

The Future War has nothing to do with the Terminator Franchise.

If you're making a Future War movie, it already invalidates it as a straight up Terminator movie. At that point it's just a movie that takes place in the Terminator universe.

So why not go all out and give us the most visually interesting take on it?

It's fanwank.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

You're not even trying.

My thesis originally is that Future War movies are Bad and won't live up to audiences' expectations. Your interpretation seems to be that there's a "right" way to make Future War movies, and people just haven't done that (instead, they do Salvation et all). This is wrong.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

your evil twin posted:

Heh, I had a feeling that would be the case. In other countries Schwarzenegger (and the Terminator brand) is a really big draw.

I'm impressed that it's already doing that well without China, Japan or Germany yet, though! Given the silly Japanese commercials that Arnold has done, I think he's rather popular over there.

The film cost $150 million to make. The US figures made it seem like it had flopped ($45 million), but now that the international ticket sales have brought it to $130 million its safe to that isn't going to be a flop that doesn't earn what it cost. But how much does it need to make to be considered "successful" and have made a decent profit?

There's always a big slap fight with international box office numbers and how much a budget actually is so you won't find out if there's a sequel until it gets announced.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xenomrph posted:

Two sequels were announced before Genisys even hit theatres.

Yeah but I mean if they actually go through with them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

quote:

Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mooseontheloose posted:

Not bad given she had almost nothing to really work with.

A situation she's familiar with in Game of Thrones.

• Locked thread