Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I know it's probably been mentioned, but it's so weird to me that now both Lena Headey & Emilia Clarke have played Sarah Connor and they are both on Game of Thrones. I really like the idea of Arnold with white hair as the old Terminator and this was my dad's (RIP) favorite series of movies next to Bond. He didn't live long enough to see Terminator 3, bless his soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Sarah Connor Chronicles is secretly one of my favorite tv series cut short. Garret Dillahunt was awesome as Cromartie, and the show even made me feel like Brian Austin Green is a badass and that takes some doing. I binge watched it, though, so knowing how much time they had and seeing how much useless posturing the religious cop was doing that was looking for them made it frustrating to watch. Knowing I had X amount of hours of Terminator left, and X amount of time would be him knowing way less than the audience was excruciating.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Rhyno posted:

You don't get to bring this up without posting the gif dude.

Edit: Arnold continues to be loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81g199L8YA

Arnold loving with the other Terminator owns. I love Arnold.
E: I remember he had a bunch of youtube videos of him at home smoking a cigar trying to promote Escape Plan with a bunch of one-liners. He thought "you hit like a vegetarian" was hilarious, and I think that makes the actual line better in some way.
E2: Does Terminator: Ginesuyse have a release date?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 19, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Is TSCC canon? And is it worth a look?

f:e Summer Glau is always a good reason to watch something I guess.

It gets pretty good. The first few episodes are kind of middling, but as soon as Garret Dillahunt appears in earnest it becomes very good. There's also a cool scene early on where the Terminator looks like Garret Dillahunt because he's like a B-Movie actor, and there's a shot of him as a phony Conan the Barbarian thing. If I'm remembering that right. Summer Glau is also pretty good in this, has some good lines, and there's a real tension between Sarah and her son's girl robot that they hang out with together all the time. Even a super awkward scene that all the goons interpreted as sex when he changes her internal battery or something. Towards the end there's a lot of really hokey religious references and stuff but you also get a fantastic new T-1000/liquid metal terminator and some great stuff about artificial intelligence. The action scenes are also pretty good if the Terminator cgi is a little bad. The nice part is you can just have the make up dude puts a little silver piece on someone's face as exposed metal and bam, Terminator make-up.

E: These spoilers are fairly light and both just fun moments instead of anything resembling a plot point if you care to look at them.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 19, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

So Summer Gua is there to protect him yes?

Yeah, pretty much Summer Glau is a Terminator that looks young so it can tail him around school, and have occasional awkward puberty glances as she doesn't understand sexuality and may sometimes show her bare chest or something. Sarah is very weary because now a Terminator has titties, man's greatest weakness. Summer's character has some really great moments, though. Some funny and some depressing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

The show is actually, honestly quite good with great villains, funny moments, etc. Again the only thing I have to harp on is the religious connotations get ridiculous towards the end. Also keep in mind this is like on FOX so by bare chest I mean bare back and a :haw: reaction shot towards the camera. Hahaha.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That trailer ran in front of Jurassic World for me last night where it's just an interview with Cameron talking about how Genisys is the real T3, honest.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Slasherfan posted:

Seriously? How awful is this movie that they have to resort to that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqgdNVTcRA
This was the video they ran, properly in the trailers and after the lights went down.

E: I think they cut about 30 seconds off the end.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 22, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Burkion posted:

One thing I will say, I like the idea of pushing the Arnold Terminator even further. In Terminator 2, he was a kind of father figure to John. Here, he's pretty much Sarah Conner's father/mentor.

I maintain the idea that Arnold will make the movie fun. I will probably see it because honestly I've seen every Arnold movie. No regrets.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't think the young Arnold was thaaaat bad looking in Salvation. :shrug: This one does look great, though.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Terminator 3 I only like... because of Arnold. It's in a category of films with The Last Stand, Eraser, Maggie (sorry), Sabotage, Escape Plan, Expendables 2, and more that are only watchable to me because of the man. You may notice there is a leaning towards recent films, but I digress. I'm seeing this on opening day with a fat, fat bowl of weed and 3D glasses. Come with me if you want to live.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Immortan posted:

I know this movie will be dogshit but I'm still giving Arnold :10bux: because I like Arnold.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I would if I could.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Arnold loving owns.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Satire of what? Commando is super sincere.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I love how Arnold says one-liners for himself. Like in Predator he throws a knife at the dude and is all "stick around!", and in that particular part none of his buddies are around him, and even the guy he is killing probably doesn't speak english. It'd be lovely to die to someone saying a one liner, and it's somehow even better/worse if it's in another language than your own.

I'm reminded how on Commando, Arnold looks at the flight stew and says, "leave me friend alone, he's dead tired", and it occurs to me what happens when that plane lands? Well, they discover a dead dude. Could've been some crazy accident or overdose or something, except that flight stewardess will remember the guy smirking saying the line. He could've just not said anything and slipped off the plane and maybe they'd think it was him and maybe they wouldn't.

I love Arnold movies.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can I share just about the grooviest song ever?

Arnold related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJdMjRHRLfg

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Courtney is just another square jawed nobody that Hollywood is trying to push as an action guy. No big deal. There's been a ton of flash in the pan guys in that role that don't get any work anymore. Wait a couple of years and he'll do a drama or something and it'll be good (a little bit despite him, but he'll get praise).

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Either way, I think it's safe to say Jai has spent any good will that Spartacus gave him.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This reaction fascinates me, because it seems to be based entirely on their hairstyles.

Since videogame designers give their protagonists buzz-cuts in order to simplify animation, people with that haircut in real life are now 'generic'.

I know that's the joke, but for me it's the designer stubble that really marks a action hero. I know there's tons of examples otherwise, but I kind of need my hero man to have a 5 o' clock shadow.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Basebf555 posted:

I feel a proper movie hero needs to display several different levels of facial hair throughout a film. He should start out clean shaven, then go through adversity, during which time he grows stubble and then a beard. Then he pushes through the adversity and goes clean shaven again.

Yeah, I feel this way about hero shirts. If you have a white shirt at the start of the movie (or perhaps a white undershirt like Die Hard), that shirt should be brown by the end of the picture with mud, blood, sweat, whatever.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Don't get me wrong, Indiana Jones is seriously my favorite movie series ever, but to be fair Indy's clothes kind of start off dirty when he gets going proper.
E: What I mean to say is it isn't a rule per se, but I like it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Those Arkham games are fun because Bats' suit and cape gets torn up throughout. And who can forget Arnold's death stare at the end of Predator? Say what you want about Die Hard 3 but the way Willis and Jackson look at the end is awesome. If your action picture is set during a static 8 hour harrowing ride I want to see the suit and tie he thought he was going to work in utterly destroyed by the end.

Bonus points if he has to wipe the broken glass and eco-terrorist's blood off his shirt to go into a bank or department store or something and ask questions and everyone is looking at him funny. I feel like this may have happened at a point in True Lies but I've forgotten.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Okay, couple of things. Start with the non spoiler stuff. Why couldn't they get someone more like say... Frank Grillo... to be Reese? More gravelly and rough and less whiny and bulky? How many rats does Reese have to eat per day (I'm assuming that's where his protein comes from) to get the upper body he has all over this movie? That in itself is funny because the whole time they are in 1984, Courtney is doing the scooting around his knees/elbows thing Michael Beihn did in Terminator 1. Literally every good part in this movie is spoilered in the trailer, but if you haven't seen it somehow, it'd probably come off better.

Arnold's resting face (his face he has while Terminating naturally) is like a self-satisfied grampa smile now, so when he is doing the fighting it looks a little bit goofy.
This movie is very similar to T3 in how they do a whole "hey remember this from T2?", there's 3 scenes I can think of off the bat. A scene where a T100 stabs a guy while talking on the phone coolly impersonating a human. A scene where Arnold is crawling on his belly without an arm to a weapon with the bad guy looming over him. A scene where the T100 impersonates one of the heroes like it did with Sarah Connor in the factory scene at the end.
The time travel in this movie is awful.
Ending: Why have Arnold do his big death only to come right back? So now no Skynet but there's a kind old immortal robit grandfather? This movie also shits all over John Connor in a huge way, which might be good if you think he sucks.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That's terrible.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Courtney has to look right into the camera and say, "after this war, maybe my hands can be used for more than killing". The script is really bad.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There is a part in this movie where we see the main cast taking jail intake photos with "bad boys bad boys whatcha gon' do" song playing over it.

I'm not loving kidding. There is a Cops joke in this.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 2, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
/\/\/\/\ Are we closer in 2015 to Cops being relevant, or were we closer in the year T2 came out to George Thurogood being cool fartrock?

I expected a little more tact from you, SMG.

E: Arnold was fun in this movie, but some of the dialogue will result in projectile vomit. There's some cool Terminator fights and Arnold has some funny little things to say, but whenever this movie starts trying to sell you on their concept of time travel it feels every bit of it's length. The homages to previous movies are just tired at this point. There's some REAL "let's just do this t2 scene again" garbage like what happened in T3. When Arnold is on-screen it's fun, and is forgiven for that, but the loss of his presence is immediately felt whenever Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke have to share a scene where they go "what us get together?! ew!"
E: WHen it's just Jai and Emilia on-screen, it feels like you could be watching a Sy-Fy movie.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 2, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

CelticPredator posted:

That was weird, but the weirdest scene was the bullet loading race thing. I didn't understand why that was funny. I guess the Terminator's hand locking up was kind of funny, but it just didn't feel right.

Robot arthritis. Just replace Courtney and Arnold with Deniro and Stiller, and then replace the bullet loading thing with something like chopping wood or opening jars or something. It was a "you're not good enough for my daughter, i am still the man of the house" gag.

E: I've seen Salvation maybe twice, and not recently. The 30 minutes or whatever they spend on the war in this movie is much better than whatever is shown in Salvation.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Poor Kyle Reese. The future sucks, and there are no video games, so in between all the fighting and eating protein-rich sludge he has nothing to do but crunches and chin-ups. Seriously he is yoked in this movie for no goddamn reason.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It starts off as a comedy scene, but then transitions to the real thematic point: Arnold's real-life mortality. Note how he lives on on the eyes of a little girl.

Goddamn does this make me sad. Can't we just clone Arnold forever and forever?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

WarLocke posted:

I haven't seen this one yet but did they abandon the flying hunter-killers and the big tank terminator robots in the future war?

From the earlier movies I got the assumption that 'terminators' came in all sorts of shapes and sizes, the humanoid ones were just the infiltration units.

There's big spidery looking killer bots that mow down 35 people in the future war part. It sweeps it's laser gun and a whole squad of soldiers turns to loving ash.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Bullshit. Arnold is too cool to die. A true icon. I hope in the year 3027 he has a religion based around his worship.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I want that movie, too, but I don't think we should do a Roger Rabbit with 1984 CGI Arnold the entire movie. It also means you have to attach a child actress, which is bleaghyp.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Justin Godscock posted:

I can't be the only one that, for a moment, thought that JK Simmons was going to play the recasted character of Dr. Silberman.

I seriously thought that was the role. For as good as Simmons did, he was completely wasted. Same with Matt Smith, really.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, they really should've kept John a secret. It's sad because there is quite a lot of time devoted to Reese and Sarah trusting John. It's kind of like the T2 fakeout where we think the T100 is a good guy because he's a cop and Arnold was the antagonist in the first.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

ruby idiot railed posted:

Unfortunately that was also revealed straight up in the advertising.

Oh, for sure. I was just comparing them. By the time I saw T2 I clearly knew Arnold was the good guy, too.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I had Terminator action figures around that time, but I'm pretty hosed up. Hope this helps.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Maybe you can find the tv version of the movie or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Young Freud posted:

I'm wondering if it's less the violence than the atmosphere. The Terminator films share a similar element with Days Of Future Past , the very dour depiction of humanity living in it's last days. That stuff can be kinda heady for a kid.

As a child I had a high tolerance for the future being a place where you eat garbage or nutrient paste and fight aliens and robots.

• Locked thread