Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lena Hedley never got the look. Had some of the mannerisms, but it was a crazy high bar to match how great Linda Hamilton was. It was never going to happen so wisely they took it is a slightly different direction. Not to mention Sarah was suppose to be "Shacking up" with anybody who was willing to give material support or training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not too sure you can call it contempt. You could pull off the Bad Future in T2 because it's on a controlled set, where every rock is a prop. You can't do that on an actual live setting.

No plasma guns in the 40 Watt range. :colbert:

The landscape might be forgiven if everything else was in line with T2 bad.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Bosch posted:

Are we not having a thread for Terminator 5? I refuse to call it by its ridiculous subtitle. Name aside, I have to admit that the trailer looks pretty entertaining.

This is the thread that T5 deserves.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only good thing about T4 was the opening battle. That was just sex with the use of nukes and the A-10s making runs. It was like you know, a proper bit of war. Then it got ruined the moment Conner steps off the soon to be one of many crashed helicopters Conner rides for 10 seconds, with a M4 assault rifle, not a converted plasma weapon, just a slug thrower. The rest of the fights were just dumb poo poo and for me it was especially so when the A-10s lost in a 2 to 1 advantage they never bothered to use in low level flight where it excels in. There was a surprising lack of skulls too. Sure T1~3 went a little over board on the skulls, but no skulls?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I see T3s seemingly more emotional Arnie as a by product of his unit being active a lot longer than the one in T2. If a robot could reflect emotion and is a "Learning computer" I don't see why it couldn't learn to gather all those reflections into a more pseudo-persona.

Its that or the director didn't care enough beyond having Arnold spew his lines. Arnold can act and he does know his limitations but he does need some director support to get 100% out of him. Salvation is still bad trash.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously reaching. But that's what you do.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There isn't a jump the shark moment in T4 as its component parts collectively jumps the shark. The movie doesn't come down until the end credits leaving a "What the hell was that?!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubckx7X2Nd4

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the only thing is we get new Arnoldisms something good came out of it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"You can't do that"

"Wrong"

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQoozM9orA
Also haven't seen season 4. Didn't know season 4 was out.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sam Worthington is always terrible. I don't how he keeps finding work other than being a Charisma-less generic white dude along with the like of Channing Tatum.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In T1 the more you see Arnold, the more he looks like he is starting to rot like the flesh isn't quite perfected.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Commando.

True Lies has good scenes, but the movie as a whole doesn't quite work. The sum is worth less than it's parts. The best bits were the Bill Paxton/car salesman story line which is both funny and a shocking abuse of power.

The final scenes from T2 works because the character doing it is a robot who has learned a little about what it is to be human. If it was any other situation you would be going WTF is this. The musical cues being brilliantly manipulating helped alot.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panzeh posted:

It's way easier to make 3 minute scenes of that awesome than to make a 90 minute movie of that.

One of the things that gives the future war scenes in T1 and T2 their strength is their lack of dialogue, but you can't really make a 90 minute movie with sufficient budget to do that.

If James Cameron didn't waste all that money on Avatar we might have had our future war. At this point though I think he has lost his touch as Avatar was a boring as heck of a movie not helped by the awful casting while spending too much time researching furries.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Someday I, too, hope to waste my money with a $250 million movie that makes 10x that in profit. I also hope to "lose my touch" in such a way as to write/direct the highest grossing film of all time. Again. I mean financials aren't the be all end all but his movies are also lovingly made, technically flawless, visually groundbreaking, etc. The dude is at the top of his game, and that game hasn't changed much since T1. He makes a pretty specific kind of movie, and plays it to the hilt every time. What exactly did you expect?

If you want to see cool stuff explode endlessly, why not watch a videogame cutscene? Future war is cool as a creepy background detail. As the main setting it's essentially incoherent - WWII style pitched infantry battles? Against merciless machines with air support and megatanks? Humans insta-lose in any vaguely realistic portrayal. Or it turns in to a zombie movie, mostly running and hiding and desperate last stands. Even actual war movies aren't mostly battle scenes. What is the model for your future war Terminator movie?

There wasn't an emotional core to it, nothing to care about, it wasn't helped by the hamfisted attempts at emotional manipulation via big eyes and cats. He pulled his own version of Bay replacing explosions with blue, green screens and giant trees which is happening near 100% of the movie. Casting Sam Worthington should be a crime.

Future war can and was shown to work. T1 showed a more realistic tactical scenario with people living in crazy bad conditions while T2 showed what would happen if a pitch battle developed. There are questions to be answered like how did Skynet fall? How have humans adapted against the machines and vis versa? What are the new social norms? Why did they rally around Conner? Who is he? More myth than man?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress Avatar, this is a Terminator thread.

T4 was a bad movie which had also committed the crime of Sam Worthington. I like Bale, but he was hopelessly miscast and misdirected, he also should never get into a helicopter. It couldn't decide who was the lead. Terrible writing doesn't mean the questions are unanswerable or bad, it means bad writing. Shouting is not an answer and that doesn't make someone a leader. There was no lead up, no character development, Conner just is, almost like he popped out of thin air. There are some throw away lines about what he might have done and the Sarah tapes. The only good thing in that movie was the opening which the rest of the movie then ruined.

I guess future war is hard because skulls are expensive or something.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darko posted:

T4 should have been Saving Private Ryan in the future - just straight up Saving Kyle Reese. No John, except in the background; just a squad ordered to save this Kyle Reese guy, not knowing why, and bitching about him not being worth it the whole time. Exact same movie, just substitute Terminators for Germans, and tanks for HKs and stuff. The opening storming would be the big effects sequence that looks like T2, with the rest of the movie being quite personal with small skirmishes.

SOLD.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you even read what he wrote? It might not answer the John Conner questions, but you would get a foot soldier point of view of the man, a distant figure both tormentor and legend. We would get to see how these people lived how they would fight under such insane conditions. gently caress man you read thing too literally and look for poo poo to kick up.

I don't like Avatar because it was so blatantly manipulative to the point as to become marketing or worse propaganda. Unlike James previous films there wasn't any soul in it, just money thrown at computers. It might have been pretty had I cared for anyone in the movie. Dances with wolfs in space might have been pretty good since that would have been a lot more subtle and came with a lot more dimensions.

If you want sympathetic ugly aliens look no further than District 9, that is a on the surface a effect driven movie done right with an emotional core. Gravity did good where the alien is Human and Space is rejecting her or Interstellar, no a single alien to be seen, but there was some real strange and truly alien things out there.

The hilarious Terminator 3d ride was a better Terminator movie than T4. Can we I'll Be back to Terminators?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloody hell, I am sorry I made that quip that set you off.

Your base assumption about why I don't like Avatar and why I like T1/2/3 + plus future war are wrong. I also don't much appreciate that you implied that I am misogynistic or lacking in empathy. Can we please drop this as whatever I say, you are going to nitpick and mangle more than the drat movies themselves.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What does anyone suppose James Cameron is going to say?

"James Cameron what do you think of the new Terminator move?"
"It's poo poo, really. Next question."

It would be a refreshing change.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are we arguing about what varying levels of trash The Transformers movies are?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milky Moor posted:

Not going to lie, I got a really stupid grin on my face during that second clip.

It's a shame the three actors are pretty drat bad, although out acting Bill Paxton was always going to be a tall order. This movie might actually be stupid enough to be worth a watch.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Something about that whole scene feels really off to me, though. It sort of feels like the digital aspects are really popping out to me. However, maybe this is a matter of my monitor and the resolution I'm watching it at, too. I've noticed I can watch some things in theaters or on BD that look really good and feel more realistic, but the divide between actors and effects stand out a lot more at lower resolutions.
It's because the lighting is flat, it's missing some shadows and it's a hair too bright.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Matt Smith not famous is a really weird thing to argue for. Doctor Who is like the second most famous TV show to come out of the UK. Top Gear is the biggest and Sherlock close third IMO. He might not be Cumberbatch famous, that being said I don't know who plays Conner or Reese.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Why do people hate on avatar? I like nothing more to sticking in the blu ray extended edition and just bask in a stories beautiful visuals for a few hours. It really is a glorious film.

It was aggressively boring, insultingly manipulative, cardboard characters, and starred Sam Worthington among other things.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skilleddk posted:

Saw this yesterday and it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. RIP Terminator franchise

Emilia Clarke is so bad as Sarah Connor it's not even funny. Arnold is just there for comedy.

Oh dear, I was hoping at least it was stupid fun. If Arnold couldn't save it :rip:. Really worse than Salvation?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, that was fun, it's bad enough to be sort of good. It isn't a good Terminator movie, but a drat sight better than Salvation.

Conner is fine if he wasn't the leader of the Resistance or homicidal, almost makes me miss Bale's Conner. Kyle was just NO, good god, they couldn't find anyone else for this? Is there a massive discount when you buy bland? Sarah could have worked had they not destroying her defining character traits by turning her into a school girl. Maybe they could have cast someone else. JK is great and he had the some of the best lines out side of Arnold.

Arnold is still awesome. :10bux:

Young Arnold looked great. The action was generally pretty good and had some good visuals with some stinkers like the helicopter sequence. The level of violence felt really low and blood was non-existent.

The music was forgettable. The dialogue was really awkward when they get "Serious" and you really aren't going to get any classic one liners since almost all the dialogue is oddly long. Was there a lack of swearing?

We did get plasma rifles and a alright future war. Lack of skulls is disappointing.

The marketing for this was a crime that did more damage than the movie that could have done for itself and bringing in James Cameron was a misstep that made it look desperate.

Watch this for Arnold and nothing else or you will be in for some pain.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
T3 is pretty good in general. Better than Gensys both as a movie and as a Terminator film. It had a Terminator punch through someone to drive a car. RELAX. We will meet again. That ending was a great gently caress you. The crane scene was just demolishing stuff. It was fun and funny without most of the stupid Gensys has. The characters worked. Yeah, it's not a great work like T1 and 2, but it is closer to them than 4/5 is.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just read that and that series did pretty good salvaging something out of the mess that was Salvation. It does get a little Asimov, but a movie of that would work be pretty good.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Terminator Salvation : The Final battle.

Yes it is the continuation of that movie, but its' good.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Robert Patrick was taking 9mm and shotgun while in full sprint and it barely slowed him. Genisys' T1000 was a chump, but did have some advanced features that Robert Patrick didn't.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

The purple lasers are still real to me, dammnit.

They exists in movie alright, the Terminator even asks for one when gun shopping in the first. Waving away "Future War" as only a dream is hogwash. You could argue it might be a bit unreliable (Skulls everywhere) or incomplete(Conner didn't tell him much) since it is coming from a seriously traumatized but functional soldier whose existence is completely based around by not getting killed by robots and it's only one perspective.

It's another thing that Salvation goes and fucks up.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Self Termination jokes are never not funny. I am happy with more movies because that means more Arnie.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm still mad that Fox shoved it in the death slot and dumped it for Dollhouse, which was pretty much a worse series in every way. Yeah, I said it.

Then they dumped Dollhouse so that was rubbing salt into the wound along with that godawful TV movie which was the pouring of the acid.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I demand more Arnold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're here. You have answered your own question.

• Locked thread