Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
Another good thing about Terminator 3 was that it was one of the last action sequels of an R-rated franchise that never caved into the pressure of having a PG-13 rating by studios/modern film makers. The TX being female was a nice alternative to Arnold and Robert Patrick in the previous movies, too. The ending was solid.

The thing that hit Terminator 3 pretty hard though was that Edward Furlong couldn't reprise his role as John because of drug addictions. Hamilton should've came back and at least died in a dramatic fashion rather then simply being written out altogether as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

LaughMyselfTo posted:

She had a messy divorce with Cameron :ssh:

Cameron didn't direct or write Terminator 3. :ssh:

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

So as I hate both these movies, I'm going to limit the scope of this post to discussing visuals.

The opening of Terminator 3 is essentially a CG version of the classic Terminator 2 scene with the overrun future, only it looks much, much worse than something that was made over 10 years earlier. It's probably unfair to compare anyone's work to the effects team that worked on Terminator 2, but when you make a direct parallel like that, you're only inviting those comparisons, which leads me to believe that they really thought their CG Terminator army was an actual improvement to the practical effects, a kind of "look how rad the Terminators look when they're made with modern CG!" moment.

:lol::lol: Holy poo poo look how wrong you are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CyWHpGs3Ik

Basically everything in Terminator 3 was practical. The robots in the future, the metal TX, the flying models, the rolling T1 models that destroy Robert Brewsters headquarters, they even built an animatronic Arnold with half his face blown off that could move. This isn't even getting into the action scenes. The company that did the effects on T2 also did the effects on T3 and they make the former look pretty dated.

That said, talk to the hand.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not too sure you can call it contempt. You could pull off the Bad Future in T2 because it's on a controlled set, where every rock is a prop. You can't do that on an actual live setting.

The apocalyptic future in T3 was done by models, miniatures, and clever uses of depth perception. Six years later, if the producers of Terminator Salvation wanted to achieve that same look they definitely had the means to do it with combinations of live sets, models & miniatures, CGI, etc.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I'm just not convinced, given the scope and scale they were trying for.

The technology used for Avatar was available at the time so I beg to differ.

CelticPredator posted:

Those T-800's in the beginning are absolutely CGI. As are the flying ships, the TX...pretty much everything was CGI except for a few shots, and the T1. They may have done some practical stuff, but it looked like it ended up mostly covered up later.

It was a mixture of the models and CGI by the same company just like T2 only better. Obviously you didn't watch the special features or that video. The argument was that all these were entirely digital which is false.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Actually my argument was that there was a bunch of bad looking CG terminators in the opening and it looked worse than the practical stop motion version of the same scene in T2 by a mile. A big dumb CG terminator walks right up to the screen and it looks awful. Apparently you took that to mean that I thought there were no practical effects anywhere in the film? I guess I can see how my post could read like that. If you're stupid.

I guess I can't make you watch the special features. If you're stupid.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Barry Convex posted:

It was a really tame R, wasn't it? I recall hearing that it was shot so that it could be cut to a PG-13 as easily as possible if that's what WB decided on.

I haven't seen it in years but IIRC the TX both graphically punches through a dudes chest and shoots an older lady to death with both victims dying slowly.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Axetrain posted:

So how bad is Genisys gonna be?

Well, since this movie is already currently beyond any form of positive critical reception—I'm going to be pissed if the asian T-1000 doesn't at least morph into Robert Patrick for a finger wag cameo.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

This is giving me some Terminator heaven vibes here.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Ross posted:

I love the fight scene in Terminator 3, it's amazing.

I liked the car chase scene with the crane in T3 better than the chase with the semi-truck in T2.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Arnold isn't central to Terminator at all.

Your posts continue to become progressively worse in this thread.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, they're just true things you don't wanna hear.

Do you honestly think if they had picked some other action hero guy the movies wouldn't work at all? Especially 1? Sure, they'd probably not be quite as memorable without that austrian accent, but they'd still be excellent films.

I too argue with hypotheticals & non sequiturs.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Once you accept in your heart that terminators do not actually exist, you can appreciate the films more - including the very good sequel Terminator Salvation.

You can understand, for example, what makes the alternate ending to Judgement Day so bad. If Skynet is just a metaphor for capitalism, it's stupid to destroy Cyberdyne while leaving every other corporation intact. Rise Of The Machines got it half-right: Judgment Day is inevitable so long as capitalism exists. It could have stopped, but the solution was too radical - even for John Connor.

I believe the reason a vocal group dislikes Terminator Salvation is that, like Mockingjay 1, it begins with the premise that anticapitalism is the answer. The good guys aren't doing much buying and selling anymore, because the threat is obvious to everyone. Skynet has skipped the middleman and, in the name of efficiency and maximizing profit, just directly enslaved the working class. This leads to the point that the individual robots are people too, that they're not the true enemy, and simply nuking them away would be an atrocity - and that's a far more radical message than in the previous films.

This is beyond any level of autism.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Ross posted:

SMG does a nice job of attacking the argument when someone disagrees with him, vs. attacking the person disagreeing with him.

Most people seem to take his assertions a little too personally.

This is a really dumb post.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
The T-1000 is a great villain but I never understand how portraying a man of liquid metal constitutes being a "machine" or robot compared to the T-800 or the T-X. His character always struck me as more of a Twilight Zone villain or something.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/08/christian-bale-says-terminator-salvation-didnt-work

Christian Bale admits that Terminator Salvation was a steaming pile of poo poo while wishing Genisys the best.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

It hits because the line is simultaneously emotional and an ice cold efficient fact because we know that this T-850 kills John himself before being reprogrammed and sent back.

Holy gently caress I forgot about that plot detail I thought he was referring to a difference T-850. That makes that scene that much more powerful.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Don't do this, it's a side project of that one band where the douchebag singer hired a hitman to kill his wife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Lambesis Yeah this guy is an all around piece of poo poo.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Smellslike posted:

Terminator Salvation is one of my biggest "missed opportunity" movies ever. On paper, everything made sense: with the panning of T3 the setting was brought to it's more logical next step of post-apocalypse, focusing on the rise of John and a beleaguered guerrilla resistance force trying to grind out a war with an unstoppable enemy.

The Terminator(s) were back, and were terrifying once again.

Yeah about the only thing Salvation got right was the look of the Terminator endoskeletons. T3 had good ones two:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Pops Ghostly posted:

T3 is not cannon. The only thing that matters are the first two films. Whatever Cameron intended with the T1, he had a different outlook with T2. That's all that matters.

Pops Ghostly posted:

If it aint Cameron, it aint Terminator.

Thats like, your opinion, man. Cheer up.

• Locked thread