Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I love the fight scene in Terminator 3, it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqGZP-W25U

Highlights:
- Ripping a urinal from the wall and beating the T-X over the head with it
- T-X piledriver into the toilet

T3 has some regrettable bits but overall I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I feel like reboots don't work well with Terminator or any iconic Arnold-character movies. The movies are so ingrained with Arnold playing this character. Contrast this with something like James Bond where there's been successful movies / Bond actors after Sean Connery, since there's nothing really unique to Connery or his portrayal that defines Bond as a character.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

INH5 posted:

Personally, I'm not so sure about that. Every other important character has been recast at least once. At this point, John Conner has been played by 6 different actors in various parts of the franchise (7 if you include an infant used in one scene of T2). The fact that Arnold's characters have never been recast makes him exceptional, more than anything.

On the other hand, the failure of Salvation and TSCC might suggest that Terminator really does need Arnold to succeed. I certainly imagine that it would have been difficult to get people to invest in the new movie if Mr. Schwarzenegger hadn't been on board.

This just highlights my point though.

You can recast John Connor, not even have Sarah Connor, have a less interesting villain than the previous film, and still have a decent Terminator movie (T3).

When you don't feature Arnold in a central role you get Terminator: 4: Salvation: The Future Begins. Arnold defines and carries the franchise.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Lurdiak posted:

Arnold isn't central to Terminator at all.

This is an absolutely preposterous statement. It's the most famous role by one of the most famous actors ever.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Gatts posted:

You don't necessarily need Arnold himself

This hasn't historically been true. Of course you could make a Terminator movie without Arnold, the question is if you can make a good Terminator movie.

I guess we will see some more evidence if this next movie is as terrible as the last.

Ross fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 8, 2014

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Lurdiak posted:

Do you honestly think if they had picked some other action hero guy the movies wouldn't work at all?

I think they would be nowhere near as good or memorable without Arnold's performances. I'm ignoring your "So you're saying these movies wouldn't work at all then?" strawman. See below:

Pycckuu posted:

The other thing is, no other actor can do Arnold poo poo like Arnold does it. He is not necessarily a good actor, but he has the "it" factor that makes his characters unique and his movies entertaining. Anything with the word "Terminator" will immediately be compared to T1 and T2, aka the quintessential Arnold, and it will not win.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
SMG does a nice job of attacking the argument when someone disagrees with him, vs. attacking the person disagreeing with him.

Most people seem to take his assertions a little too personally.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Young Freud posted:

the T2 shooter game, at least.

Oh man that game was sweet, I forgot all about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ0Nfan4MHk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Vaall posted:

This is a really dumb post.

I'm not sure if you were being serious but I apologize if my words have inadvertently upset you.

• Locked thread