Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MisterBibs posted:

I couldn't see Furlong Connor as the future head of the Resistance, but I totally bought Stahl Connor. There's an edge and an anger to Stahl's portrayal that I think informed the character more than the punkish/jovial Furlong did.

Stahl gets a bad rap but he's a pretty great actor. Sadly his demons seem to be winning these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I didn't know Dekker had legal issues, that's nuts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm watching T1 and noticing all the awesome poo poo this thread has pointed out and it's making the experience very enjoyable.

Like Arnie's changing hair, I never noticed it before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, the loss of eyebrows and burned hair really does enhance the creep factor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched T2 the Director's Cut for the first time the other night. Am I nuts or was the Kyle Reese scene not in the theatrical version?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a VHS of T2 back in '93 or so but I don't remember it clearly so I was puzzled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So in Salvation Skynet activates a single T-800 to chase after Conner in the factory where they are building T-800s.

I know this is minor in a film with so many flaws but come the gently caress on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sasquatch! posted:

It looks like it's possible that the entire dropped T2 scene (and not just the concept art) might even be the launching point for Genisys.

Do you have links for this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sasquatch! posted:

It's speculation on my part, but the beginning of the Genisys trailer looks like the art and reads like the story/script at http://www.hopeofthefuture.net/deletedscenes/t2omit04.html (deleted scene from T2) to me.

That's what I meant, links to that stuff. Thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

None of the other ones are done yet.

There are dozens of them coming off the assembly line. They also have hundreds of other Terminators walking around the complex and yet none of them can join in and hunt John?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowman_McK posted:

He also waltzes straight past a dozen massive automated guns. The whole point of a trap is to be more dangerous than the thing you let them past.

Marcus shut those down before he walked in. I'm just saying that as soon as he was inside the building every loving Terminator should have descended on that place like cops at a Tim Horton's grand opening.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watching the trailer for GENESYS I noticed something. It looks like Kyle is still sent back to 1984 judging but the cop car that stops at the alley. Then we jump to the observatory where the original T-800 lands and the Older looking T-800 shows up. Note his hair color and length. Then a bit later in the trailer we see Sarah driving a school bus (on the Golden Gate Bridge?) and she's crashing into modern cars (I see a Fiat 500) left and right. Finally, in the last scene of the trailer, Old T-800 now has long white hair.

So I'm just speculating here but it looks like there may be a forward time jump? Kind of like in the pilot for TSCC? Did anyone else notice this stuff?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

I think if I recall Arnolds hair is brown early in the trailer but grey later. Id imagine they jump ahead in time at some points.

EDIT gently caress. Beaten. Like a female terminator.

After it was pointed out I did notice the second TDC scene that appears to have been built in a sewer/basement/bunker. And since we see a Terminator carrying who we can assume to be a young Sarah it would appear that that a T-800 was sent back to her childhood and has aged in real time since then.

Query, since a Terminator with living skin can travel in time, couldn't the Resistance fill a few thumb drives with future tech and have Kyle swallow those before he's sent back?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Esroc posted:

Sending plans for future tech to the past could have far reaching consequences no one could ever plan for, up to and including having Skynet be created even earlier. Hell, just sending the Terminator back in the first film caused Skynet to be created sooner than in the original unaltered timeline (if I'm remembering correctly, feel free to correct me if not). I would imagine any halfway intelligent person would want to avoid that if at all possible.

Which also just goes back to my point in my previous post. "No fate" is bullshit and Skynet will always be created, Judgement Day will always happen. Stop having the Conners try and stop it and instead focus on surviving it like T3 attempted to do.

In the series they sent a bunch of guys back in time who built a plasma rifle (in the 40 watt range?) and a TDC in the bank vault. And it seems pretty obvious that there's a time machine in 1984 as seen in the trailer. Since there's already Terminator tech in the past sending more powerful weapons back would probably have little effect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do they ever really talk about being anti-technology? That was a major plot in the DUNE series but I don't really recall it coming up in the Terminator franchise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Well I don't know we build an AI and it commits a holocaust.

And yet they still use computers and tech to fight their battles. They probably just smashed all the wifi routers so Skynet can't login remotely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It doesn't use the internet in the good movies.

Did the internet even exist in the good movies?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_VgVEZD0k

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chairman Capone posted:

On the subject of time travel, didn't Cameron help Bryan Singer come up with the time travel/alternate timeline concepts for Days of Future Past?

What, did they watch Back to the Future together or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What kind of a soulless dick calls this campy?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Also, he's an awful actor, accent or no, so it's even more surprising he has such a successful career. I guess natural charisma trumps all.

We're gonna throw hands bro.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neo Rasa posted:

Did this guy just have like the best agent ever for a couple of years or what? He used to be everywhere. He was briefly up for Mad Max and it is to my utmost joy that he did not get it.

He was the second choice for Captain America if Evans didn't take the part.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

The rights to Terminator actually revert back to him in 2019.

Does that still happen if the current owners are still making films?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

Every one of the movies I listed is a "franchise" movie, and is outright better than earlier movies in the franchise. Saying "every franchise inevitably nosedives and never recovers" is objectively false, not to mention it's a meaningless logical fallacy anyway.

Except for TF4. It was hard but they managed to take the franchise to a new low with that film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I felt TF4 was a huge step up from 2 and 3. Non-repulsive protagonist, Autobots with distinct personalities and actual screen time and dialogue, easy to follow action, three distinct villains each with their own easy to follow, interesting agendas... I absolutely thought the 4th movie was a major improvement, and I'd go as far as to say it's the best Transformers movie to date.

DOTM had Spock.

I rest my case

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Both Titanic and Avatar ae amazing films. I'm sorry your opinion sucks.

Avatar is visually amazing. The story is loving terrible.

"OH LOOK THE WHITE MAN COME TO TEACH THE NOBEL SAVAGES HIS WAYS BUT IN FACT IT IS THEY WHO WILL TEACH HIM."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Well, I mean, if they're Nobel savages how dumb can they be?

:golfclap:

But seriously, why would my phone auto correct to that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

EDIT: It also had the most poignant depiction of 9/11 ever captured on film. Never forget. :911:

You don't get to bring this up without posting the gif dude.

Edit: Arnold continues to be loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81g199L8YA

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 18, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

I'd rather watch two hours of that than Genisys.

I just want to hang out with Arnold and do stupid poo poo for an afternoon. He seems like he'd be so much fun to just bullshit with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a testament to Arnie's likeability that he can bang his maid, have a secret son and keep him secret for fifteen years, and somehow he's still seems like a cool guy.

Bill Clinton received his highest approval ratings when the Monica nonsense was going on. We like our heroes to have a little gritty realism on them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For the love of GOD man, PARAGRAPHS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

Also with Derek and his girlfriend or whatever, when they realize they come from two distinctly different futures.

I wonder why we never saw alternate versions of the same person with opposing missions show up. Would have been an interesting subplot, Jesse has to stop other Jesse from high fiving John or her timeline is wiped out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MonoAus posted:

If that were true then why aren't there an infinite number of Terminators filing in from each possible alternate future?

Or a congo line of Kyle Reeses waiting for a turn at Sarah?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Basebf555 posted:

I think I read that he's got a bigger overall part in the trilogy their planning, but its also possible he's just a weird looking dude that they hired to look off-putting in a handful of scenes. He's not really a well-known actor.

You really have no idea how popular Doctor Who is do you? People know who he is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

If you go to any store that even passingly caters to nerds, you'll see his face plastered everywhere.

Hot Topic, Spencers, Gamestop, Hastings, Barnes & Nobel are all stores that frequently have huge DW displays. TRU has started carrying DW merch, Target has some now and even JC Penny has shirts. There's about to be a LEGO Doctor Who launch. It's pretty much the most well known and watched SciFi series on the planet currently.

But no, nobody knows who Matt Smith is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not talking about nerds. I'm talking about the other 99% of people I encounter on a daily basis.

Edit: Also I never said nobody knows who he is, I said he's not a well-known actor, which he absolutely isn't.

Basebf555 posted:

In America its a moderately popular T.V. show. I have a job that gets me out of the house and I have a normal social life, yet nobody I know would recognize the name Matt Smith and only a few would know his face. Its a niche show.

Just because you feel it's a niche show doesn't mean it is. It had multiple events where episodes were shown in theaters all across the country and every screening sold out. More people watch DW than the number of people who will go see this movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

He is also an extremely well known actor in the UK. And he is a drat good one at that despite his funny looking head.

He's extremely well known worldwide. I have friends who don't even own TVs and they know who he is. There are bars that have DW nights all over the loving country.

Basebf555 posted:

He's not really a well-known actor.

But this I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

oohhboy posted:

Matt Smith not famous is a really weird thing to argue for. Doctor Who is like the second most famous TV show to come out of the UK. Top Gear is the biggest and Sherlock close third IMO. He might not be Cumberbatch famous, that being said I don't know who plays Conner or Reese.

Smith is being careful about what roles he takes in America because he saw how David Tennant's career took a nosedive here (it's getting better). He's been offered literally hundreds of roles. He turned down a role in the Hobbit and the new Star Wars. I don't know what made hi think Terminator was a good place to start his American film career but he must have his reasons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neo Rasa posted:

Looking at the basic structure of Genisys, I'm sure on paper and as a pitch it sounds like an amazing movie. Plus easy $$$ since it will get heavy marketing and stars Arnold.

Smith was probably a huge fan of the first two films so yeah, this probably sounded like a good opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Parachute posted:

Are you this guy's agent or something? All of your reasoning sounds like you're talking about Benedict Cumberbatch or Martin Freeman or someone who's actually popular outside of nerds.

Also lol at "being careful about choosing his roles" and not understanding the reasoning why he took this role. As his agent I figured you'd understand how money works.

I LOVE HIM DON'T QUESTION OUR LOVE OKAY I WILL CUT YOU.

• Locked thread