Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It was a glorious trainwreck of a movie but I just can't call it bad because it was insane and enjoyable and the plot partially involves basically like a Futurama spoof of Terminator.

Also apparently Jason Clarke's take on the T10X is basically SMG's take on T4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Junkenstein posted:

Does the 'twist' happen in the first act, at least?

It's set up in the prologue then actually happens in Act II.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Firstborn posted:

Ending: Why have Arnold do his big death only to come right back? So now no Skynet but there's a kind old immortal robit grandfather? This movie also shits all over John Connor in a huge way, which might be good if you think he sucks.

There's 2 more movies planned in this arc and there's the postcredits sequence, so uh yeah.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

After sleeping on it, I can say it was one of the most dour, depressing experiences I believe I've ever seen at the theater. Uh. Christ. I hate this movie. I hate this movie so much. I think if I see one more call back, I might die inside totally.

Man you've just got absolutely no cred on this, sorry.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

That was weird, but the weirdest scene was the bullet loading race thing. I didn't understand why that was funny. I guess the Terminator's hand locking up was kind of funny, but it just didn't feel right.

Weren't they drumming to the beat? Kind of showing, along with the Sarah Conner pictures on the wall, how Pops had gradually become more human?

I also really appreciated the "old, but not obsolete. yet." thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No joke, it actually is an incredibly surreal fuckin movie. There's so much shape-changing, and the effects are fantastic.

Unlike certain other films released this year, it's very well shot and edited. And it's perfectly self-contained; instead of functioning like a feature-length trailer, they simply include enough unresolved issues to make it quite dark. It's like a more downbeat version of Star Trek 2009.

Surreal was the word I was looking for.

CelticPredator posted:

I think the beat drumming was a way of saying "This one's done". Like how you take a shot. Slam that poo poo down hard.

Right, I was trying to decide if I could skip the first part of act 3 there because I needed to go to the bathroom, but I thought they weren't racing so much as doing the clips to the beat off Sarah's boombox.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 2, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Young Freud posted:

I think The Matrix's tentacle Sentinels and Interstellar's TARS/CASE bush robots are another counterpoint. Getting stuck on human morphology in an ever-adapting world is just romanticism.

Right, it's more a characterization of Skynet that it doesn't use totally machine robots, and is partly why Salvation misses the whole point a hell of a lot (excepting the Helena Bonham Carter bits, that was paradoxically on point).

Basically, this movie gets it that Skynet would itself have a "Borg queen" as it were.

e: what's the most consistent characterization that is used to describe terminators in 1 and 2? It's not "efficient". It's more like "relentless".

quote:

Kyle: Listen, and understand! That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

quote:

Kyle Reese: You still don't get it, do you? He'll find her! That's what he does! That's ALL he does! You can't stop him! He'll wade through you, reach down her throat and pull her fuckin' heart out!

quote:

Sarah Connor: [voiceover] Watching John with the machine, it was suddenly so clear. The terminator, would never stop. It would never leave him, and it would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there. And it would die, to protect him. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine, was the only one who measured up. In an insane world, it was the sanest choice.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 2, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

There's a shot - not a scene - where the baddie turns his body into a cloud of nanomachine rail-guns and tries to shred Arnold. Compare that to how uncreative the evil dinosaur's powers are in Jurassic World.

As an aside, what did you think of the John Connor characterization from the second act where it almost seems like they were taking all the leftover bits from Salvation that you thought were so interesting?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

No amount of reading can take away the callbacks dawg.

Callbacks are a feature, not a bug, of the Terminator franchise.

WarLocke posted:

I haven't seen this one yet but did they abandon the flying hunter-killers and the big tank terminator robots in the future war?

From the earlier movies I got the assumption that 'terminators' came in all sorts of shapes and sizes, the humanoid ones were just the infiltration units.

They have flying hunter killers and walker tanks, did not see any of the big treaded tanks. You can probably assume those are there somewhere though, the only bits of the future war we see is kind of a small action on the sidelines of the main assault on Cheyenne.

Salvation had all the extra poo poo like the huge bipedal harvester, the motorcycle bots, the tentacle bots, the train bots, etc.

As far as the future war in 1 and 2 were concerned, you also saw disproportionately a LOT of t-800 endoskeletons, so they were absolutely mass produced and used everywhere, not just for infiltration.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 2, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

WarLocke posted:

What are you talking about, T3 didn't have any future war scenes :colbert:

:colbert:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

There's a shot - not a scene - where the baddie turns his body into a cloud of nanomachine rail-guns and tries to shred Arnold. Compare that to how uncreative the evil dinosaur's powers are in Jurassic World. I don't know how anyone could be unhappy with this.

Was that the part right after the Terminator game theory scene?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Firstborn posted:

the T2 fakeout

Unfortunately that was also revealed straight up in the advertising.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is an old news observation but it's totally blowing my mind:

The moral of every terminator movie is that humans are bound to destiny and no matter what will always do what they were always going to do, sarah will always fall in love with reese no matter how they meet or who they are, john will always be the hero of the future no matter how he's raised, nature is all that matters to human, nurture is irrelevant.

while robots are totally free and can change and adapt if given the right circumstances. They are all born killers but if you say enough 90s phrases at them or make them a dad they can change who they are and become good people. They all have the same nature but nurture can change the outcome for machines.

Depends. T2 says that if humans can make a machine that does that, then eventually there's probably hope for humans as well.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Like it's designed to be lazy when it kills anyone else? I don't buy it. Terminator 1 is NON CANON.

The T800 had Sarah under the laser pointer in the nightclub for an astonishing length of time, too, for something that's supposed to be instant death.

Relentless, not efficient.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Like, really, what made the escalation between T1 and T2 work so well was the fact that the terminator was an unstoppable force you could see coming from a mile away, and T2 gave it a countering force to bounce off of.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

maybe you should ask yourself why the filmmakers made it that way?

Seems like you should be asking Darko that, not SMG.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I'm watching Terminator 1 again to see how well they matched or what they changed when they recreated the 1984 sequences.

1) garbage truck driver curses a lot more in T1
2) blond right punk at observatory has a mohawk cut in T5, long hair in T1, Paxton has the wacky hair in T1
3) in T1, all 3 punks pull switchblades, just the one in T5
4) 3 cops come out of first squad cars to hit the alleyway in T1
5) the alleyway chase is more protracted in T1 with more turns and doubling back, etc
6) Reese shoots through a padlock to enter the department store from ground level in T1, then exits via fire escape that he uses to enter in T5
7) Biehn was sporting longer hair vs Courtney's short hair
8) lots of scarring on Reese's body in T1, T5 Reese seems fairly unmarked

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

dr_rat posted:

I'd laugh if they in the next two movies it all ends with Connor and Skynet coming to an agreement that the original T2 timeline is the best possible time line for both the Humans and Skynet can achieve, and it just ends with them doing time travel wankery to make that the one that happens, literally writing every other film after T2 out of cannon, in cannon. Making the entire point of the new films that the original films were better.

If you're going to go silly and fan service might as well just go all out.

Actually, it's going to be weirder than that:

A big deal is made over the fact that the nature of the Terminator (particularly the T-800) is to be a machine built and programmed expressly to kill man, and to do nothing but. However, they are capable of observation, of adaptation, of improvisation. In T2, we find out that they are even individually quite capable of learning, of sentience, of empathy.

In T5 John Connor is quite literally sent back to teach the new Skynet. Unfortunately, the lesson is from the old Skynet, and it is one of fear, of hatred, and of death. The new Skynet is dealt a setback as the final upload of its trojan horse payload is stymied, giving it time to reflect without old Skynet's influence.

I'm predicting that Pops was not sent back by the old Skynet. He's sent back by the new Skynet.

Sarah Connor posted:

The luxury of hope was given to me by the Terminator. Because if a machine can learn the value of human life... maybe we can too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

All this talk about Reese being build like a brick shithouse made me think how having an infiltration unit look like a bodybuilder might not be the best idea.

That was the original T1 idea until Arnold sold his performance: the robot would be the small wiry dude.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

They did not state any of this in the film.

Skynet outright states that it's going to interconnect everyone in the guise of Genisys. In this timeline, Judgment Day and the Singularity are one and the same.

After all, that's the new threat--we've moved out from under the shroud of nuclear armageddon (current dispute with Russia notwithstanding), that's the whole point of moving the setting foward from 1984 to 2017.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 4, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

I don't know if that's covered in that Wikipedia article but some hedge fund actually put one of these things in as a voting member of its board of directors.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

Oh, of course. I'm an idiot.

This film drew a lot from TSCC, too. whole film felt like a 'best of' compilation.

Act 1 is like a T1/T2 'Greatest Hits' thing yeah, and the T1000 reactivating a T800 feels a bit like the T-X's tricks in T3. Never watched TSCC.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Gonna have to agree to disagree.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

The core plot of TSCC involves Sarah and John jumping forwards in time with an improvised time machine to stop the software program that becomes Skynet. Their friendly Terminator also has a malfunctioning arm. Danny Dyson was also going to show up in the cancelled third season, presumably finishing his dad's work.

Oh, and there's a cop who had been following the Connor case for years and finds out about time travelling robots.

Neat.

Speaking of Miles and Danny Dyson, they're presumably both still alive, and the secret core of Skynet's currently exposed. That's the hook into the next movie--they're going to find it and go "what the gently caress was John Connor doing?"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

Was Miles supposed to be the older black guy who was usually with Danny?

As far as I know that character is Miles Dyson.

blablablabla posted:

Yeah that wasn't in the movie, you know the thing we are talking about.

Not to mention arnold said the nanobot thing drove everyone insane except john

Because technology is static in the Terminator universe.

blablablabla posted:

And the lovely exposition on genisis pointed out that it was connected to the nukes. They had a nice little missile picture while news team 6 kept repeating genisis genisis genisis.

One single line as a red herring, versus the number of times they talk about converting people into nanobot terminators, including Connor's offer to his parents.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 4, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

While it's certainly possible that Skynet will wage war against people, the imagery is plainly of a select few collaborators being upgraded and protected - as in the original plot of Terminator Salvation. Skynet is programmed to save humanity.

Just so. I think the main conflict in the next 2 movies in the planned trilogy is that of Skynet vs. Skynet. And the difference between them will be how much of humanity Skynet chooses to save.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

He also acts far more human than any other Terminator - he shouts, screams, yells when fighting and seems to cry when he's trapped on the MRI and Reece finally rejects his offer.

As he says, he's 'more'. Not just man, not just machine and not just a villain. He isn't even hunting Connor and Reece - they come to his HQ and force his hand, basically.

I think his plan was always to bring Sarah and Kyle to Cyberdyne, but on the terms of the "invitation". Jason Clarke also said that he looked at the role as that of a Gandalf the White.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

So another Arnold model sent back in time... to become governor perhaps?

Until he got laid off....

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sarah and John Connor (just a fetus in one movie) are the same in both T1 and T2. Oddly enough the good films.

Reminder, a scene exists in which the T-800 chases an on-foot Sarah Connor down a ramp and a block while driving a tanker truck.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

Does every bad sequel thread have to devolve into people trying to poo poo on the good movies. The stop motion endoskeleton looks bad!

It looks awful, and the compositing is a poo poo job. It doesn't look good again until they just use a physical prop for it again, when it's crawling across the factory floor.

Anybody who complains about bad CGI instantly loses all credibility if they hold up this era of filmmaking.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The T5 antagonist terminator is already a cloud of iron filings in a magnetic field, though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

blablablabla posted:

He talked about it once, and he did a fuckton of talking

And its not like they opened the movie with San Fran getting nuked.

blablablabla posted:

Hahaahaha every loving scene is exposition

Yeah and he spends most of the movie trying to kill them

Presented: somebody who didn't actually watch the movie in question.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

A train of thought leads from "the lady doesn't have funny 80s hair" to "I hope James Cameron dies."

Cameron hasn't personally given me a blowjob to satisfy my nostalgia for a movie that never existed except in my head, so gently caress him.

e: There's a pretty good reason Cameron hasn't really made a wingnut kill fantasy for 2 decades now.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Also there is literally nothing interesting about the great white male version of Revelations Jesus who had to become part machine to rule the post-Rapture future nuclear wasteland for 1000 years.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

He doesn't become a machine at all in the true timeline.

Then how could Jesus Christ and his disciples and priesthood rule the world for 1000 years?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

quote:

Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while.

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Also worth pointing out is the idea that "this actually happened so just film it like it happened" is dumb as gently caress.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The new Terminator movies are not observed in the Old Testament.

Neither were the old movies, Book of Revelation is New Testament. As an aside, I'd actually forgotten about the Mark of the Beast Reese showed off in Terminator 1.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

I like how skynet has a face, faceless person sending back countless assassins to murder people is very hard to visualize.

WarLocke posted:

It's Borg Syndrome all over again.

There's really only one way to go and that is to personalize The Adversary. It's not a Borg situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

WarLocke posted:

No there isn't, and yes, there is.

There's a reason why people almost unanimously hate Skynet having a 'face' in Salvation. And that reason is that it undermines the threat of Skynet/terminators as they appeared in the first two movies ("You can't talk with it, you can't bargain with it, it will keep coming and never stop..." etc).

It's Borg Syndrome all over again.

That quote is in relation to how the Terminator is relentless, not that it does not have other qualities of intelligence.

In T2, after the CPU's writeable memory was unlocked, the T-800 learned empathy and to reason. It was already clearly capable of making strategic decisions (we saw that in T1 when another Terminator lost track of Sarah Connor and so decided to go through Sarah's address book that it picked up from her apartment to track down her mother) but after its memory chip was unlocked, it was able to reason past a primary directive (follow John Connor's orders) in order to accomplish a larger mission, one that wasn't even originally programmed into it. It learned why and how humans experience emotions and how to express happiness, tiredness, sadness, and finally, approval.

Without unlocking, we learned that the T-1000 acts very nearly out of some form of spite, and can clearly make joking gestures such as the finger wagging.

You're confusing actual depicted attributes of Skynet and the Terminators with mechanical emotionless efficiency, something they've never been characterized as having or being. You can even assume from T1 that Skynet itself has the capacity for feelings--after becoming self-aware it immediately learned fear. Sending a Terminator back through time is a panic maneuver.

• Locked thread