Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I don't know how you go so far off the rails as to think that these murderous killing machines just chucking people into scenery is somehow not laughable. One of these machines getting a hand on you should basically be guaranteed death through just having appropriate parts of your body crushed and smashed mercilessly. They should be industrial grinders on legs.
But whoops, if you don't create a whole stupid convoluted CAPTURED HUMANS subplot, you can't have your stupid John Conner meets Skynet moment.

T3 was not great, but at least it had a coherent plot that worked toward an actual point.

Terminator Salvation was entirely birthed out of a checklist of uncoordinated bullet point scenes that they then had to string together.

Also, gently caress Christian Bale. I don't see how any adult stands there and just listens to his childish bullshit rant. How do you not just say "Get hosed, Chris" about ten seconds into that and walk off??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

CaptainHollywood posted:

Also - if you haven't seen Breakdown (directed by Jonathan Mostow of T3) - go watch it. One of my favourite "average man gets put into one of the worst situations ever" kind of movie.

Echoing this, it's a pretty dang good movie no one remembers.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

INH5 posted:

And even leaving aside human reproductive biology, you'd still have to deal with things like Chaos theory. I don't know the exact science, but I'm pretty sure that a time traveller's mere presence would result in totally different global weather patterns within a few weeks, and who knows how many things that would change. And then you get into quantum uncertainty and...

Now I'm starting to get a headache. This is why I hate time travel discussions. I think Pop Arena has the best advice on this subject: "Here's the key to writing good time travel: don't write time travel."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9D6w1GzGY

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
New short trailer thing just dropped on Arnold's facebook.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Basebf555 posted:

I hate to nitpick at trailers but I'm worried that they're trying to be too flashy and stylish with this new T-1000. The economy of movement that Robert Patrick brought to the performance is what made it, I don't want to see a Terminator doing acrobatic flips or dancing around in an attempt to make him more badass. Not enough evidence one way or another yet, but the way it slices its arm off and throws it doesn't feel right to me.

Eh, it could work, it could still have a real economy of motion and efficiency while doing things that way, right?

I do like the weird metal-muscly version, though. It does look like a natural evolution of the terminators and is actually kind of intimidating in a way the T-X or whatever was not.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
He doesn't actually do any running after getting shattered either, which would have probably helped him actually kill someone.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I think what's most surprising about Arnold's story is how unlikely a star he was. 99 times out of 100, bodybuilders with thick accents go nowhere in the industry, and the 1980's and early 90's are littered with Arnold clones who were one and done. Then he turned around and invested all that money, so that he hasn't really made a good movie in 20 years but is still worth about a billion dollars.

It's worth noting that Arnold was already a pretty successful businessman and real-estate investor before he ever really cracked into acting. He was going to be rich regardless because he started the whole game more intelligently than a lot of the clones who burned out.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I checked out of this movie at like ten minutes because it was so loving dumb, maybe I'll give it another go.

Yeah, it suffers really badly from having a supporting cast of awful, awful characters that you desperately want to see bad things happen to.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
New proper trailer is out. Looks like one of the commonly speculated plot points was dead on the money. John Connor is the villain! Might be pretty lame, but the new nano-terminator design looks pretty boss. Still pretty hard to believe that not only did they have T-1000 tech and T-X tech to send back, now they had THIS as well? Too many single prototype one offs, there needs to be some kind of explanation.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ugh, if so, that's way too similar to the bit in T3 where they used the particle accelerator magnets.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I guess maybe that makes some kind of twisted sense, but it still seems a bit weird. If you can build one you can build a hundred, and we still haven't really seen how you "kill" a T-1000, so they would be a lot more effective than generic metal skeletons.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

PriorMarcus posted:

The reason there's only one nano-terminator is addressed.

It's Skynet. The actual physical form of Skynet. It kept the technology to itself because it has even started to fear the Terminators due to rebel reprogramming.

That's..... slightly corny, but kind of interesting. The next logical step is to make it an actual character, I guess. We don't count that HBC bullshit from Salvation.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I just saw an interview with Michael Beihn. He's had plastic surgery and doesn't look like himself anymore. Bummer.

Or he might have just aged 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh my god, genisys was awful and 100% carried along on life support via Arnold's still unstoppable screen presence and charisma.
Courtney and Clarke were both laughs of bad. It had the aesthetic of a rich high school putting on an amateur production. Like a bunch of kids stomping around in their parents' oversized shoes.

• Locked thread