Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I hated T3 and have only watched it twice. Once when it came out, and once a decade later to see if I was wrong. The biggest problem with it was that it was T2 recycled, but with terrible dialogue and flat, boring characters. The effects couldn't save it. The only thing I did like was the twist at the end, that fate was coming for you no matter how much time travel you try.

The biggest problem I had with T4 was that they took the basic premise of terminator fighting and threw it out. The premise is: You run like hell because it will loving kill you efficiently. If you are backed into a corner you do what you can to disable it and then run like hell because it will loving kill you efficiently.

Having John Connor go hand to hand combat with a T800 was the dumbest loving writing decision, because the only way for it to make sense is to undo everything we know about terminators. Now it plays with him like a cat with a mouse, batting it around keeping it alive. It was the isolation and terror of the hide/chase that made the first two so good. Even the terminator in T2 knew the rules. You don't take it head-on you loving run and hide.

From my limited reading on the development of T4 I believe Christian Bale singlehandedly ruined it by inserting himself in the John Connor role and making it a large part of the movie. But maybe the script was too far gone by then. I still like it for the excellent performance by Anton Yelchin though. That guy is pretty good in everything he's in.

I always hope "the new one" will be good, the trailer looks entertaining but I'm guessing it'll be really convoluted with a bunch of plot holes that barely tie the action together. I loved the Star Wars prequel trailers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Ok so maybe something that can give us hope is seeing what the director and writers have done so far. Like I have some hope for the new Star Wars because Lawrence Kasdan is writing it with JJ Abrams. It still might suck but I have hope.

So Alan Taylor, director. Last thing he directed was the fairly boring but not entirely hateable Thor sequel. And by boring I mean that movie was so forgettable that I was a half hour into my second viewing before I realized that I'd seen it already.

But looking down his resume there's a shitload of good stuff, mostly HBO shows. 9 episodes of the Sopranos. 6 episodes of Game of Thrones. Nurse Jackie, Lost, Deadwood, Carnivale, Six Feet Under, The West Wing... Okay some seriously well respected material here, but all of it TV. I'll give him some cautious hope.

Next, Laeta Kalogridis, co-writer. Shutter Island, I thought was predictable but okay it's Scorsese. Pathfinder? Low budget but pretty fun, and I love Karl Urban. Alexander? Nightwatch? Those have some credibility. The Bionic Woman reboot? Oh Jesus Christ.

Patrick Lussier, co-writer. Wrote Dracula 2000, two sequels I never knew existed, and Drive Angry. Sigh.

Yeah this movie's probably going to be either really great due to being so totally campy and stupid that you love it in spite of itself, or it's just going to flat out suck.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Dwayne Johnson operating with Terminator 1 caliber efficiency while just being his normal affable, charming self would be legit terrifying.

Absolutely. Have Skynet program him with manners and a positive attitude, so he charms the poo poo out of everyone, and never wipes the smile off his face even as he's terminating the poo poo out of an entire police department.

It would be god drat unsettling in ways we've never seen, and really consistent with the tone of the first movie. Ruthless merciless machinery. I would fully support a reboot as long as it was simply T1 line for line, with modern CGI and that one twist for the terminator.

And the Rock is about the only actor that could pull it off.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles again shows me what I wanted out of Terminator Salvation. The stories of the future there were much more flushed out than T1 and T2, which is where the franchise needed to go next. It needed to be the story of the Reese bros and how they eventually worked their way up with John Connor to beat Skynet. It should end with the three guys having skynet by the balls, sending Kyle back in time, and immediately zapping the universe back to a place where skynet never existed, like standing in a green grass field or whatever.

I think a major problem with the franchise at this point is that nobody's willing to end it. All we get are episodes instead of a story arc.

Also I watched Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend and drat it's amazing what having actually likeable characters can do for a film/story. Another huge problem with T3 and T4.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'm really loving angry that I bothered to watch that trailer. They spoiled so much poo poo that I'm probably not even going to see it in the theater now. I love being surprised or at least given the opportunity to figure poo poo out.

• Locked thread