Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So as I hate both these movies, I'm going to limit the scope of this post to discussing visuals.

The opening of Terminator 3 is essentially a CG version of the classic Terminator 2 scene with the overrun future, only it looks much, much worse than something that was made over 10 years earlier. It's probably unfair to compare anyone's work to the effects team that worked on Terminator 2, but when you make a direct parallel like that, you're only inviting those comparisons, which leads me to believe that they really thought their CG Terminator army was an actual improvement to the practical effects, a kind of "look how rad the Terminators look when they're made with modern CG!" moment.

It's just another thing in my increasingly long list of evidence that practical effects are inherently superior to CG.

Now, onto Salvation. The entire look of this movie is wrong. I know that vegetation overrunning things and deserts and all that poo poo are acceptable ways to depict post-apocalypses, and it worked fine in I Am Legend, but the Terminator films established a very, very, VERY distinct look for the "Bad Future". Blue lighting, smoke, pavement, thunderclouds, and not a single goddamn sign of nature anywhere. It was a concrete nightmare world, where a machine symbolizing the most destructive aspects of modern civilizations had wiped out everything but those aspects.

The fact that the film that we finally get that's set in this future looks nothing like the often-teased crazy post-apocalypse that's so iconic to the franchise shows contempt for the material. Even if the script and everything else had been good, it wouldn't have felt like a Terminator movie at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vaall posted:

It was a mixture of the models and CGI by the same company just like T2 only better. Obviously you didn't watch the special features or that video. The argument was that all these were entirely digital which is false.

Actually my argument was that there was a bunch of bad looking CG terminators in the opening and it looked worse than the practical stop motion version of the same scene in T2 by a mile. A big dumb CG terminator walks right up to the screen and it looks awful. Apparently you took that to mean that I thought there were no practical effects anywhere in the film? I guess I can see how my post could read like that. If you're stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

He's right about that shot though. While most of the film is practical, that specific shot is CG and looks pretty crummy.

Kind of a small thing to get so hung up on though.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was. I just mentioned it because it's the opening of the film and it already looks worse than T2, and I'm just saying that's a bad move on the film's part, doing a parallel to such a famous scene and having it look worse 12 years after the original. I did state that my post was gonna just talk about visuals.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Literally all I can remember from his performance is when he's letting the hybrid Terminator guy sneak off and then suddenly screams out of nowhere, "WHAT ARE YOU?!"

I remember the part where he's kind of wandering off to do... something and then someone asks where he's going and the music just stops and he mumbles "I'll be back" like he's ashamed of delivering the line.

Salvation had script and directing issues out the wazoo, and I honestly feel like it was a case like the last 2 Die Hards where they recycled an existing script for an original concept into a sequel to a known franchise.

I was a tester on the lovely tie-in game to Salvation, by the way. It's a prequel, where John learns to be kind of a leader and recruits isolated survivors into the resistance. And despite sucking really hard, its story is probably more interesting than the movie's.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

To Salvation's credit it's still not as bad as the Terminator/RoboCop: Kill Human comic from a couple years ago. I actually got mad by how bad the story was in that.

Not to be confused with Frank Miller's RoboCop vs. Terminator, which is the best poo poo ever.

The SNES Robocop vs Terminator game is kind of awful gameplay-wise, but what little of the comic's story was left in it was so cool that I kept renting it until I beat it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LaughMyselfTo posted:

They literally do this.

Well, they try. They have him not be beholden to him, be more aggressive (thus ironically less robotic) and mention he's the one who terminated him to make it seem like he's less friendly than the one we all know and love from 2, but then he starts yelling all over the place and having clear emotional attachments and poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LaughMyselfTo posted:

What does SMG think of Terminator 3, then?

Do we need to ruin every thread on CD?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sylink posted:

I think salvation would have been better if it had not had sam worthington's part and focused on connor in the future war.

That's one of its obvious flaws. That's really the only story anyone wanted to see with a Terminator sequel, especially since T3 didn't really leave anything else. Yet instead the script originally barely had John in it at all, and focused entirely on this stupid, stupid story of a human Terminator.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sasquatch! posted:

(Then again, I remember that the trailers for Salvation looked good at the time, so who knows?)

That original trailer was pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgmUpqgL1p4

Hey, a skull!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ross posted:

T3 has some regrettable bits

Most of the dialogue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You're saying every new timeline will have worse sequels?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's pretty funny how 1, 2 and 3 completely disagree on if you can change the timeline or not, in various ways.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arnold isn't central to Terminator at all. It just seems that way because he was inexplicably in 3 and his CG self was in 4 during the only interesting scene in the film. And that wasn't "It's Arnold, hooray!" it was, "Hey, that's like the thing from the Terminator movies, instead of this boring melodrama we've had for over an hour."

That said, they really should stop making them. James Cameron was the central ingredient, and now we've had movies that (very poorly) tell all the interesting bits that were left untold. Doing a Star Trek time travel reboot is just them admitting there's no story left to tell with the setting, so they're going to just retell existing ones. If Genisys is as bad as it looks, we'll officially have more bad Terminator movies than good ones, and that's a shame.

Then again I guess Sarah Connor Chronicles already heavily contributed to the Terminator name being associated with complete poo poo more often than quality.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vaall posted:

Your posts continue to become progressively worse in this thread.

Nah, they're just true things you don't wanna hear.

Ross posted:

This is an absolutely preposterous statement. It's the most famous role by one of the most famous actors ever.

Do you honestly think if they had picked some other action hero guy the movies wouldn't work at all? Especially 1? Sure, they'd probably not be quite as memorable without that austrian accent, but they'd still be excellent films. Putting Arnold in 3 and kind of in 4 was self-indulgence and only served to limit the scope of those movies and their universe. T1 and T2 probably didn't need sequels, but 3 didn't need to be a Ghostbusters 2 type sequel that hits the same beats as T2 every chance it gets, either.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I never understood why the show was popular among a fairly vocal group because as a giant fan of the first two movies it came off like horrible fan fiction that didn't understand what made those films interesting.

It really should've just ended with T2 because the story was told.

I guess for some people, the "lore" of Terminator is more interesting than the performances, cinematography, special effects, cool moments, themes, etc. and the series might have delivered on that if you could stomach the awful writing and acting. To me it just felt like giving Terminator the Smallville treatment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

So what you're basically saying is

SKYNET: "John, I am your father. Search yourself, you know it to be true."

John: "Nooooo! You killed my father! You're a drat machine!"

SKYNET: "It was I that gave you purpose. It was I that set it all in motion that birthed you and made you what you are. You are a product of me."

John: "No...no...I am a man."

SKYNET: "What is a man but a miserable pile of secrets."

Ok maybe I went a bit off course.

That's not too far from the stupid scene in Salvation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

Only organic life can go back. Soooo...T1000 is liquid metal. Explain that. Do we have human skin lying somewhere used as a sack?

The liquid metal molecules can form an organic coating?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Caros posted:

Yeah my bad for engaging him. Even though I know he is either mentally disturbed or the Ur-Troll, it is really hard not to call him out when he says some of the more patently retarded stuff that he does.

It wouldn't be so bad, but some people are under the sad delusion that his posts are a valuable and welcome alternative to sane threads, and thus encourage him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

I don't understand getting mad at SMG. He presents some interesting food for thought and interpretation.

See what I mean?

Gatts posted:

I dunno if its just the sci fi or comic book nerd threads that get up in arms and having to defend their beloved franchises.

Ah yes, that old strawman. Derailing entire threads with gobbledygook is unwelcome whether we're discussing something we like, dislike, or feel no attachment to. Head on over to the absolutely ruined Star Wars thread to see SMG and others defending the prequels and implying people who dislike them don't actually like Star Wars. Who is defending what here?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 9, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Dude just put him on ignore like I did like a year ago who gives a gently caress. :) I know it's not a total solution since people quote his posts verbatim but who cares?

Yeah, yeah, I just wish people would admit he's a terrible poster.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MKupperman ‏@MKupperman posted:

In the new Terminator an elderly Austrian man wants to listen to Phil Collins' early music online, but can't spell the band's name right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Very few series were started with the intention of having sequels. Terminator, Halloween, and other such films weren't expected to be culturally significant or massively financially successful when they were being made.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

The commentary track for T2 makes the guy sound like a literal machine in how athletic he really was. Talking about having to take multiple takes of the scene where John had to kick start his bike and ride away because Robert kept running up, tapping Edward Furlong on the shoulder while he was hopping on the bike starter and saying "You're dead now".

Haha, that's some Bruce Lee poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

And speaking of the sheer amount of violence in T2, don't forget to pick up your action figures, kids!

The endo skeleton was the best one.

I remember, even being a tiny kid who loves violence at the time, finding it weird that this movie had toy commercials right alongside the Ghostbusters cartoon and all. I distinctly remember these grade school kids in the ad. "Here comes the T-1000!" "You're no cop!" *crappy missile hits the T-1000*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I know but the story ends with a dark highway into an unknown future, I disregard anything afterwards when discussing the franchise's plot.

Really? T3 makes the cut for you?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

That uh that's the end of T2 I'm talking about. I was specifically saying T3 didn't make the cut with that post.

I was not programmed to read.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Before the movie came out, I thought Christian Bale was a great casting choice for the character of John Connor. But he wasn't. Because his character did almost nothing in the entire film except play straight man to Terminator With a Heart of Gold and worry about what's to come.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sometimes they film something with practical effects and then add so much post production lighting and filters and particles on it that it looks faker than CG would, and that makes me sad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those were actually replaced by CG at the studio's behest, if I recall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't really see what's so great about that ending other than it being a big twist. It certainly wouldn't have been satisfying to learn that the heroic John Connor was secretly some boring rear end in a top hat instead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

INH5 posted:

Oh, I definitely agree that the face transplant ending would have been awful. But if would have been awful in a fascinating, schlocky, "oh my god, what the hell were they thinking?!!?" way. It would have changed Salvation from "a tiresome slog of a movie with nothing redeemable about it" to "a tiresome slog of a movie with a final 10 minutes that are so crazy that you have to see it to believe it." People would have talked about it for years, instead of forgetting it completely within a month.

And personally, I'll always prefer an interesting failure over boring mediocrity.

As a longtime fan of pro wrestling, I'm long past finding a swerve or gently caress finish to be preferable to a clean and expected finale, especially at the end of a lovely match.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The character of Marcus Wright was terrible to begin with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

T2 John Connor as a kid with a rough life who's kind of a douche but grows up is a lot more likeable than the pathetic homeless loser of T3 who spends almost the entire movie being the punchline of jokes. How THAT guy becomes a badass savior of humanity, I can't imagine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

All of these things can be explained by the timeline changing when Reese went back and told Sarah about the future, causing her to become a survivalist nut job. Like presumably in the original timeline, Sarah was just some waitress who got knocked up and John led a normal although maybe disadvantaged life. By T2 Sarah is in a literal mental institution for a terrorist attack and John is in a foster home until more future machines come and kill them and totally gently caress with his life; it is no wonder he was a messed up kid who eventually ended up homeless.

Or maybe T3 didn't have a very good script.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

It definitely didn't but John becoming a homeless guy with borderline PTSD after the events of T2 and living with his survivalist mother isn't a stupid conclusion to that story arc.

It doesn't make for a very compelling main character, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Terminator is a really good movie and it's a good thing that Terminator 2's massive success means it won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Skynet doesn't want to risk killing so many humans that it never gets created. Obviously if its goal was just to kill all humans, it'd go back to like caveman times and kill every ape it sees.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I wanna see Terminaper so bad

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sasquatch! posted:

Is the Rifftrax for it at least any good?

I've yet to find the elusive good Rifftrax.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's weird how everything in action films has to be Spider-man nowadays. Even Robocop and Terminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

speshl guy posted:

It never occurred to me that he was glitching after getting frozen. What were his symptoms besides not running because he spends a lot of the movie just walking when he could be running anyway

In the extended version of the film he has trouble controlling his morphing. The subplot was cut out in editing, so it's not surprising you didn't pick up on it.

• Locked thread