Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^^
Teaching them to understand basic instructions like "retrieve blue block from left box" is one of the things research into this thing focused on, and has to my knowledge been reasonably successful.

Miltank posted:

How good are apes at sign language?

They're able to express emotional wants (like wanting to play a favorite game with a specific researcher), empathy and recognizing emotions through facial expression (asking why a researcher looks sad), future planning (wanting a specific thing the next day but not today), and abstract thinking and imagination (they can ask for things they've never see before like a green ball when they've only ever seen red balls).

They'll never be on the level of humans and it's not well understood how much they themselves understand and how much is just them responding to learned patterns. But there is undeniably some level of communication going on.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

We should breed a monkey butler race that is totally obsessed with getting us beer and making our houses clean.

One outta two.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayabukiya_Tavern

quote:

The tavern's owner, Kaoru Otsuka, owns two pet macaque monkeys who are currently employed to work at the location.[4] The first monkey, twelve-year-old "Yat-chan", is dressed in a shirt and shorts while he takes customers' drink orders and delivers them to the diners' tables.[4] The restaurant's owner, Otsuka, reported that he never initially taught the monkeys; Yat-chan first learned from watching him work. Otsuka said, "It all started one day when I gave him a hot towel out of curiosity and he brought the towel to the customer."[1] The younger macaque, named Fuku-chan, is currently four years old and has the main duty of bringing the attendees hot towels to clean their hands before ordering drinks.[5] Fuku-chan has only two years of experience, while Yat-chan has been reportedly performing the job for a longer time.[5]

Both monkeys receive boiled soya beans from customers as tips for their service.[6] The monkeys' environment has been inspected to ensure proper treatment of the animals;[7] due to Japanese animal rights regulations, they are each only allowed to work for two hours a day.[2] The owner says that he will be introducing more simians to work as waiters at Kayabukiya, and as of October 2008 is currently training three young monkeys to take on the job.[1] The restaurant was also featured as a reward for the winning team in the third episode of Season Two of I Survived a Japanese Game Show.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

We already have a de facto tiered personhood system, though. The severely mentally handicapped or underdeveloped have all sorts of rights stripped from them. They cannot enter contracts, they do not have the freedom to be without contracts, they can't vote, they can't be employed, they don't have power of attorney over themselves, ect, ect. It's a tad late to be worrying about the slippery slope of denying certain rights to the mentally unfit when we've been doing it for decades.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

disheveled posted:

That's actually part of my point. The severely mentally handicapped, children, the senile, are all cases at the margins in personhood, at least from a philosophical standpoint, and so we're already making arguments about the extent of their human rights. I don't see adding non-human animals to the mix as just tacking on a few more marginal cases; I see it as changing the definition that ensures we think of the handicapped, children, and the senile as people first and disability/age/whatever second.

Personhood as a philosophical concept and as its colloquially used is waaaaaaaaay different than personhood as a legal concept. I believe most people are discussing it as the latter and not the former, or at least I am.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

What, and animals don't count as a "machine that just takes an input stimulus and spits out the appropriate output"? The point I'm making is that "well, that thing isn't really alive/thinking/conscious", by itself, is no better than "well, it doesn't have a soul so it doesn't count as a human" in that it's entirely subjective and based on your own perceptions, rather than actually drawing a firm line based on actual observable cognitive criteria. Hell, five hundred years ago the Pope had to explicitly declare that Native Americans were persons with souls (not that the conquistadors listened), because there was literally disagreement about it. Making sweeping declarations about entire families of animals based on your personal feelings about those groups is almost as bad.

No, it isn't, because animals aren't worth as much as humans. But you know what us pretty hosed up? Comparing the slaughter of natives to saying that a cow doesn't have all the same rights as a person.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fojar38 posted:

This claim is unfalsifiable because we don't know what art is. For all we know the elephant was just flailing paint at random because it made the "flail around in a particular way = get rewarded" calculation in its brain, rather than any sort of attempt at self expression.

Well, more the "follow directions as given by the trainer = don't get beaten" calculation in its brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mata posted:

Whether or not elephant art is "true art", or if animal pain is "real pain" don't seem like important questions here.
Exaggerating the differences between humans and non-humans is a way of rationalizing how little we value non-human life.
What's relevant is to what degree animals desire freedom from pain, freedom of movement, and community with its peers. Does anyone really think apes do not desire these things?

Whether or not something is art is pretty drat important to determining if an animal is capable of producing art. Beyond that I'm not sure what you're getting at because my only point was that elephant painting is an abhorrent practice that involves abusing an animal.

• Locked thread