Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

How is a chimpanzee any less capable of bearing, much less fulfilling, a legal duty than a newborn baby?

We don't grant infants or children in general anywhere near full personhood, they're (correctly) denied a ton of basic rights that an adult has.

e: Not talking about esoteric poo poo like signing a contract either, I mean a lot of the most mundane everyday actions of parent raising a toddler would be kidnapping and assault if you did them to an adult. Kids barely get to control anything about their lives.

Torka fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not okay with killing animals yet I leave out poison traps for ants, bug zappers on my porch, and don't think twice about burning yellow jacket nests, am I fundamentally betraying myself?

Meh, with their incredibly simple nervous systems insects are pretty much just biological robots. They have no inner life

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

So, what, robots aren't deserving of personhood, even though they are potentially more intelligent than any animal can ever be?

I meant in the sense of a mindless machine that just takes an input stimulus and spits out the appropriate output. Maybe automaton would have been a better word, if you associate the word robot with some future consciousness-possessing AI we might invent

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Nah, that's dumb. Insects aren't conscious.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

The lines being blurry is a problem worth thinking about but if you want to live in the world and not be paralysed with inaction you need to make a decision at some point, and that's where mine is regarding killing insects. I'm comfortable making the inference from the simplicity of their nervous systems that they have no inner experience worth acknowledging at a moral level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

Is pain what we as humans truly dislike, or is it suffering?

Something I've always noticed about drinking alcohol while I'm in physical pain is that it doesn't actually reduce the sensation of pain the way a proper analgesic like acetaminophen does, it just makes me not mind it. It's still there but it stops being bothersome, somehow.

Torka fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 7, 2014

• Locked thread