Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Fojar38 posted:

This. People need to remember that gorillas, elephants, chimps, etc. only qualify as "intelligent" when graded on the steepest curve imaginable.

It's a bit of a weird curve though. Remove humans from it and the great apes look like, to the rest of the animal kingdom, what we look like when we are included. They are vastly more intelligent than most beings on earth.

Right of personhood? I don't know about that. It's nebulous anyway. Just treat them better. Much much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Condiv posted:

plus, how accurate is the curve? when i talk to other scientists, they are frequently surprised that certain animals (such as crows) are able to observe human behavior and adapt themselves to live alongside it. a surprising number of them also find it unbelievable that crows and other birds are capable of constructing tools. i think the public is mired in a mindset of animals being barely lucid entities for the most part, with the exception of monkeys who are perceived as barely lucid with a capacity for mimicry.

I think you are right. I'm interested a lot in great ape cognition and whatever else kind of as a hobby and it's weird the amount of ppl that don't know of their communicative abilities and general level of intelligence.

Regardless of any of that it's such a shame that such a close species (gorilla mainly im thinking but all of the g. apes really) are going to be extinct before too long

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Gorillas are the best animal on earth. Gentle and intelligent if they were allowed to live unthreatened in their big salad bowl worlds they would do it. They're ftw, and to kill and hurt them is among the most evil things that I can think of due to their goodness of heart.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Miltank posted:

How good are apes at sign language?

Very

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Miltank posted:

We should breed a monkey butler race that is totally obsessed with getting us beer and making our houses clean.

Please consider that monkeys and great apes are not the same.

• Locked thread