Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a complicated issue -- that's why I think it's interesting and worthy of discussion (and even debate)! While I feel like I'm in favor of treating highly intelligent apes like chimpanzees, or dolphins and orcas (see the film Blackfish) as a "special class of person", it probably would open the door to a huge number of legal loopholes and just nonsensical things. The idea of having "tiers of personhood", with, say a chimp being on a rung somewhere around a pre-speech toddler or a severely mentally retarded person, would introduce a big headache with trying to classify different types of animals (and possibly even people!) based on their proximity to some kind of "ideally cognizant" person.

This would be a challenge. On the other hand I think it would be relatively simple to free from captivity those animals which we deemed sufficiently intelligent to understand and bemoan their own imprisonment. That, I think, would be a fantastic first step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

say no to scurvy posted:

I think a dog's right to personhood ≥ an ape's. Dogs are civilized. Yes apes are more intelligent (and we flatter ourselves about our unique intelligence) but a person is a social title; no creature has made more strides in civility (and hey, look at that, legal duty) than dogs.

By this metric dogs have a greater right to personhood than most people.

• Locked thread