Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would say no. It seems like personhood involves rights and duties. While an intelligent ape or dolphin or crow should perhaps have certain rights, they don't have any duties. In other words, an ape should probably not be tortured or eaten, and should be left alone to do its own thing, but it has no duty to contribute in any way to our society and isn't legally responcible for its actions. As a human in America, yes you have rights, but you also have duties, like voting, obeying the law, ect ect. Then again severly mentally handicapped people who can't contribute are considered people.

It seems like we need a three tier system. People, intelligent animals that should have to same protections as handicapped people, and unintelligent animals that can be eaten and used.
The problem lies in determining which animals are intelligent, and I can't think of anyway of doing that that isn't subjective. The only test that I can think of is whether or not an animal can mourn its own fate. If I was about to die, my life would flash before my eyes so to speak. I would be sad for all the things in the future that I would miss out on. I think a cow would simply be in the moment, ie, worried about the immediate danger and nothing else. Thats just my opinion and it may be complete bullshit. Like I said I think our society is just going to have to come to a sujective consensus on what intellegence is and run with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

I agree severely mentally retarded people are no better than animals.
The point, you retard, is not that mentally deficient people are animals, but that certain intelligent animals should be raised to and have the same protections as retards.

• Locked thread