Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

blowfish posted:

Ok good enjoy drowning in a sea of caterpillars

At least caterpillars turn into things that are fairly pleasing to look at and won't try to murder you. :colbert:

Realpost though, I came across this little article about animal intelligence and it actually surprised me quite a bit as far as elephants go.

http://jonlieffmd.com/blog/wise-animals-2

One of the key things that was mentioned and actually makes me ask some hard questions regarding personhood of animals is just how *human* some of the shown behaviors were. Elephants in particular are capable of creating art (with different individuals showing differing levels of skill, however you judge that), gathering allies for tasks (one had a child stolen from her and built up something akin to a warband or the like and took her child back by force) and exhibit mourning (including placing sticks and leaves and such at the site of the deceased, coming back to it for years. Tribute, basically.)

I'm not sure I'm willing to list them as equals or give them full personhood as an adult human would have, but giving them rights similar to a human child? I can't find a good argument against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread