Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I guess the question I have is how do we apply giving animals rights when it comes to those we find in the wild. If for some reason a dolphin kills a gorilla is that counted as some form of murder? I know that that is a ludicrous example but would we have a duty to intervene if we ever saw the life of an intelligent creature threatened by a predator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Smudgie Buggler posted:

The question of whether an individual is of a particular species doesn't seem as if it should have anything to do with what rights are afforded them. It's convenient to think of there being something inherently special about being human, but there is no clear delineation between categories of organisms. Humanity is just a large tribe.

There are very clear delineations between categories of organisms. That is why Taxonomy exists. Humans are special compared to every other known life form because we are the dominant animal on the planet so for better or worse we get to decide things.

• Locked thread