Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I would say just because animals suffer in nature doesn't give us an excuse to cause even more suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

rakovsky maybe posted:

I'm not sure how serious you are, but the philosophical case has been made that even though we can't do it now, eventually humans will have the genetic/biological knowledge to basically convert the entire ecosystem to into an herbivorous mode of existence. And that it would be morally wrong not to do so.

I hope that plants gain sentience in the future because then that would make it morally okay to eat meat again.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Plants feel pain though?

Not really on the same level as animals though which is why "Plants are alive too!" similarly gets shot down pretty quick by vegetarians/vegans. That's why if plants gain sentience then their arguments go to poo poo and eating meat becomes okay again.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm not okay with killing animals yet I leave out poison traps for ants, bug zappers on my porch, and don't think twice about burning yellow jacket nests, am I fundamentally betraying myself?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I hate bugs too and have no issues with killing them but they're living things too right? I mean why is it okay for me to see a wasp crawling on the porch and stomp it without a second thought when I definitely wouldn't kill a possum or raccoon on my porch even if I had the means to?

Killing animals for meat probably isn't ideal but I'm still going to eat meat because it's delicious. If lab-grown meat becomes a thing and it's also tasty then I'm all for that too and would probably eat it instead. I don't think killing animals is wrong exactly but if I can still get meat without killing an animals there's really no reason to kill one.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

So your ok with killing animals then.

Not indiscriminately but yes.

Torka posted:

Meh, with their incredibly simple nervous systems insects are pretty much just biological robots. They have no inner life

Interesting, so vegetarians would have no problem with say, eating crickets or ants as food as is done in some countries?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

The problem lies in determining which animals are intelligent, and I can't think of anyway of doing that that isn't subjective.

Tool use is considered to be a big sign of intelligence and crows fit the bill and are among the smartest, if not the smartest animals on the planet after humans. There's even a video of a crow using a lid to snowboard down a roof which is super adorable.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Xibanya posted:

I think we can all agree - gently caress wasps.

Wasps (and yellow jackets) are literally the worst living things on the planet and everyone should kill them at every possible opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Campaigners for that stuff in the US are going to have a hard time getting support when this country still has a lot of people that believe abortion is murder and will flip out at the idea of "So we're willing to give ANIMALS the same rights as people but not a human fetus?"

• Locked thread