Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
what like, right now? no i'm pretty sure they dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

disheveled posted:

Personhood is for humans and I believe it fundamentally needs to be that way. You need to be that strict about that definition because the entire point is to protect human rights for humans who can't protect themselves, like the mentally handicapped. When you begin including non-human species, you dilute and confuse the definition, you inevitably end up with a tiered system, and a likely result is that you fail to protect humans as you should. I am aware that there are legal scholars who suggest that we can create a tiered system which will be functional and not a total loving disaster of untold proportions, but I am, uh, a bit pessimistic about that. I believe it's far more likely to hurt disabled humans than to help non-human primates — you turn a human being into a monkey in the eyes of the legal system, not the other way around.

Do chimps and other highly intelligent animal species deserve a large subset of human rights? Absolutely and without a doubt. If there is an argument that chimpanzees should not be held in captivity, make it on its own merits, and devise a separate category to protect them and give them legal rights. Lab experimentation on chimps is basically dead in the water in the US — and I fully agree with that choice — and that was achieved without any tenuous personhood arguments.

A tiered system of living being rights that has humans at the top is acceptable, but you can't develop your tiers out of characteristics, because the uncountable exceptions to any categorization besides species is going to bring you into a world of poo poo. Trying to break it down by "how intelligent" we perceive a species to be is impossible.

im also very worried about an outer limits premise

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

No, your a living breathing person with his own mind and opinions and I also disagree with burning african villages to the ground.

No I'm pretty sure humans are a kind of Dumb Animal, not a Dumb Plant, or a Dumb Protist.

• Locked thread