Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

You know what's also creepy? Like 2 million years from the equivalent of an chimpanzee to human, 10,000 years from wolf to an animal capable of understanding human speech and commands, working in official duties, leading a blind person around, serving as a therapeutic assistance, etc. with what all intents and purposes is minimal training. What if one day somebody starts selectively breeding chimpanzees or gorillas? Dolphins? Any other species that is way smarter then wolves to begin with? I mean it took us less then a blink in evolutionary terms to breed a perfect, intelligent slave race that eagerly does all our bidding and loves nothing more - without any knowledge of genetics or ability to manipulate them on a deep level. I'm pretty sure we're going to encounter other sentient species we have created way before we meet aliens.

Selectively breed chimps? We're just going to put a human brain in one and call it a day. The world is going to be basically unrecognizable in < 30 years from genetics research.

Humans are special because our brain is incredibly complex even vs. the next smartest species. An order of a magnitude greater- if I had to guess it seems plausible somewhere in that gap is a threshold value of neurons or neuron density that gives rise to 'free will' (or pseudo-free will, whatever you want to call it). Perhaps some sort of feedback model where reaching one point makes it easier to reach the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread