Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

A further point I'd make is that we already grant certain rights of personhood on people who are incapable of bearing legal duties or submitting to societal responsibilities, such as those who have severe mental handicaps, the senile, and minors. So to me, the judges' ruling seems a tad odd if it's justified on the stated basis, since, on that basis, could we not then take that as an allowance to deny rights of personhood to the certain groups I mentioned? Also, it strikes me as a bit circular: the chimp does not have legal rights as a person because it cannot bear legal duties, and it cannot bear legal duties because it isn't a person!

If we allowed apes to have "personhood" they'd all be in prison anyway. How do you make an animal understand you can't beat people up for looking at you, or murder them because you want their banana? They won't follow the laws of civilization because our laws make no sense in the natural world (I mean, why wouldn't you kill your neighbor for a banana if you wanted a banana?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

An Angry Bug posted:

I'd argue yes. They're clearly capable of self-awareness.

Scientists Successfully Teach Gorilla It Will Die Someday

Tulane University researchers say Quigley is now able to experience the crippling fear of impending death previously only accessible to humans.

http://www.theonion.com/video/scientists-successfully-teach-gorilla-it-will-die,17165/

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't think anyone has a legal duty to intervene even in the case of humans...unless they are professionals like cops

Whoa there. Cops have no duty to protect you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

• Locked thread