Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

radical meme posted:

Serious question: are there are any philosophers or writers on natural law that advocate animal personhood? Plus, if it ain't in the bible, it's never gonna happen in any western culture.

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

McDowell posted:

Someone would have to buy that ape an account! How would it get a credit card?

If a dog like Santos L. Halper can get a credit card, then it's clearly not evidence of personhood.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

blowfish posted:

Why not? It's ~within our power~.

It's certainly not in our power to take that sort of stewardship over wild animals, but if in the future if it is, we should. If we could deploy nanobots or whatever to release selective analgesics to ease animal suffering without hindering necessary survival instincts based on pain, why not?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

khwarezm posted:

I think we're starting to fly off in a crazy sci-fi direction, the first one is really some absurd nonsense. How would you go about converting the whole planet to a 'Herbivorous mode of existence'? What would you do with all the predators? Why are we imposing morality upon nature in the first place?

The whole point is that our moral obligation to protect wild animals from non-anthropogenic suffering is itself a sci-fi/futuristic discussion, but that doesn't obviate our obligation to minimize human-caused suffering.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

blowfish posted:

:psyboom:
...and that's where the animal rights discussion leaves the realm of reason and enters the domain of intellectual circle-jerking.

I sincerely hope that none of the nonsense you propose is done even if it eventually becomes possible.

eSports Chaebol posted:

The whole point is that our moral obligation to protect wild animals from non-anthropogenic suffering is itself a sci-fi/futuristic discussion, but that doesn't obviate our obligation to minimize human-caused suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Vat grown meat seems a more plausible thing to hope for?

I feel like I probably should be a vegetarian but am too lazy, but if/when vat grown meat is a viable thing I'd certainly eat it and encourage others to do so as well to the exclusion of eating animals, yeah.

• Locked thread