Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dont forget Dr. Pepper 10 which was aimed exclusively at men and had a facebook page where if you listed yourself as a woman it would decline your like. I haven't looked at what happened to that product line but I remember within a month or two of it coming out it was already primarily a female purchasing audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Manfrompoot posted:

In addition to creating some of the most bizarre, visually striking art of the 20th century, Salvador Dali would also do loving anything for a buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccz41zjvR-8
Lanvin Chocolate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owJFJxHVNuc
Alka Seltzer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZPMxORhSQE
Braniff Airlines

He also designed the Chupa Chups logo :eng101:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Not so much a dumb move in marketing, but do you remember the Chupa Chups TV advertisement from a few years ago that got progressively shorter and increasingly badly-dubbed (with some really awkward editing to disguise how badly-dubbed it was) every time it was broadcast? There's this kid in the supermarket with his mum: the first time I saw the ad he said something to the effect of, "Look! New Chupa Chups lollipops! Can I have one, mum?" then in the last version his dialogue is, "Mum, please buy me sweets," dubbed in by the whiniest voice possible.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Leon Einstein posted:

Pretty sure that's fake.

No, the XBOX ONE is actually real.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
This ad for wi-fi enabled Audi motors left an impression on me when I saw it on a billboard a few years ago:

No ring though

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

sharts posted:

This ad for wi-fi enabled Audi motors left an impression on me when I saw it on a billboard a few years ago:

No ring though

loving brilliant.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I heard somewhere that this actually led to an increase in girls and women buying Yorkie bars. Probably what they intended all along with that. An "oh yeah? We'll see about that." kind of reaction.

Still dumb.

Barudak posted:

Dont forget Dr. Pepper 10 which was aimed exclusively at men and had a facebook page where if you listed yourself as a woman it would decline your like. I haven't looked at what happened to that product line but I remember within a month or two of it coming out it was already primarily a female purchasing audience.

Proof that negging works

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Metal Loaf posted:

Not so much a dumb move in marketing, but do you remember the Chupa Chups TV advertisement from a few years ago that got progressively shorter and increasingly badly-dubbed (with some really awkward editing to disguise how badly-dubbed it was) every time it was broadcast? There's this kid in the supermarket with his mum: the first time I saw the ad he said something to the effect of, "Look! New Chupa Chups lollipops! Can I have one, mum?" then in the last version his dialogue is, "Mum, please buy me sweets," dubbed in by the whiniest voice possible.

The name "Chupa Chups" is kind of weird though because it's derived from the Spanish verb chupar, to suck. So it's like calling the candy sucky-suckies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Barudak posted:

I know, as a man, I have never bought and will never buy a Dr. Pepper 10. And I loving love Dr. Pepper.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sharts posted:

No ring though

There is no way that is not deliberate.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

With women now having the gall even to drink pints (of Guinness!), you have to agree with one respondent who said, There arent many things a man can look at and say, thats for me. (Marketing Communications)

"Because God knows I don't want to share anything with women! They'll get cooties on them! Girl cooties! No, I only touch manly men things, like penises!"

:psyduck: Jesus what a loving bizarre approach.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

quote:

With women now having the gall even to drink pints (of Guinness!)

It's not that long since Guinness was recommended for expectant mothers, at least in the UK and Ireland.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

quote:

With women now having the gall even to drink pints (of Guinness!), you have to agree with one respondent who said, There arent many things a man can look at and say, thats for me. (Marketing Communications)

Haha what. I'd argue that in most circumstances stuff is marketed to men, or at least with a bias towards men.

I'm probably just an idiot but I wish more stuff like bodywash and shampoo, and products in general were marketed gender neutral. I feel dumb buying the "FOR MEN" stuff, but half of the other stuff seems flowery or for dandruff/specific needs.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

The_White_Crane posted:

"Because God knows I don't want to share anything with women! They'll get cooties on them! Girl cooties! No, I only touch manly men things, like penises!"

:psyduck: Jesus what a loving bizarre approach.

I have a feeling that they were aiming for a reverse psychology perspective, but failed miserably because their advertisers were all twats. Or they were drunk when they screened the ad. Either way, it didn't make them look like the most intelligent people in the world.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Several years ago JC Penny got the bright idea to buy millions of backlinks from directory websites to help with their rankings on Google. For months JC Penny was ranking #1 on search terms that would make sense like "dresses", "shirts", and "rugs." But when this black hat seo scheme caused them to rank #1 on search terms "samsonite black leather briefcase" ahead of Samsonite, Google started to take notice. Google didn't lower their rankings back to where they were previously, Google instead just removed them completely from their index.

This caused JC Penny's traffic to drop by an estimated 70%. JC Penny fired their seo company, begged Google to relist them but Google had one stipulation, JC Penny needed to get all the scammy backlinks removed. This took months to do, but everyone doing this scammy poo poo quickly learned you don't gently caress with Google.

Here is a lengthy New York Times article on it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/business/13search.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1418676617-4rRL5o+WHAd4TFJv31BSgA

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Grem posted:

Pretty sure I just saw a commercial featuring Billy Banks in a t-shirt that says Brother At Your Side in an office full of people.

http://youtu.be/Fxyt7kv9V7g

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HOLY gently caress posted:

They weren't fantastic or anything but I liked them and after they did this I couldn't bring myself to buy them anymore. :smith:

That reminds me of McDonalds and the ArchDeluxe, which was advertised with the idea that kids don't like it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The name "Chupa Chups" is kind of weird though because it's derived from the Spanish verb chupar, to suck. So it's like calling the candy sucky-suckies.

When I was in high school, there was a Chupa Chups commercial with an animated, very hyper lollypop salivating and slurping and licking his lips, while suggesting we grab and lick him. Nothing particularly wrong with that I guess, but easy fodder for a juvenilr sense of humor.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

There is no way that is not deliberate.

You mean deliberately looking like hands driving a steering wheel? Not everything is goatse or intended to look like it. Just because we're a bunch of weirdos that have stared into that abyss of an rear end in a top hat doesn't mean everyone else has.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Snatch Duster posted:

Several years ago JC Penny got the bright idea to buy millions of backlinks from directory websites to help with their rankings on Google. For months JC Penny was ranking #1 on search terms that would make sense like "dresses", "shirts", and "rugs." But when this black hat seo scheme caused them to rank #1 on search terms "samsonite black leather briefcase" ahead of Samsonite, Google started to take notice. Google didn't lower their rankings back to where they were previously, Google instead just removed them completely from their index.

This caused JC Penny's traffic to drop by an estimated 70%. JC Penny fired their seo company, begged Google to relist them but Google had one stipulation, JC Penny needed to get all the scammy backlinks removed. This took months to do, but everyone doing this scammy poo poo quickly learned you don't gently caress with Google.

Here is a lengthy New York Times article on it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/business/13search.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1418676617-4rRL5o+WHAd4TFJv31BSgA

This is really interesting.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Out of curiosity is there any books that cover these kind of massive marketing fuckups or successes? Some kind of general non-fiction and not a textbook.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

son-of-a-bitch. I want a Guinness now, just loving because.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VendaGoat posted:

son-of-a-bitch. I want a Guinness now, just loving because.

Me too and I think Guinness tastes like a beer that some jerk dumped milk in as a joke.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

MindlessHavok posted:

You mean deliberately looking like hands driving a steering wheel? Not everything is goatse or intended to look like it. Just because we're a bunch of weirdos that have stared into that abyss of an rear end in a top hat doesn't mean everyone else has.

Who grabs a steering wheel at 9 and 3?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Anybody with a car newer than, like, 1993?

You go any higher and you'll punch yourself in the face if the airbag goes off.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
gently caress that. Left hand on the 10' and right hand on the shifter

:smugdog:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sharts posted:

No ring though

There's four.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Barudak posted:

I haven't looked at what happened to that product line

I just saw one of their commercials yesterday. They're no longer doing "it's not for women!" anymore, now it's just some weird lumberjack looking guy in a canoe in the Rockies or some poo poo.

I remember people getting pretty fired up over that slogan, so maybe that's why they toned it down.

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

The Peccadillo posted:

Status Quo were a little hard up for cash recently I guess, so they re-purposed something from the back catalogue for a supermarket chain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdV4pr4frd4

This ended up being played on radio stations. Regardless of whether or not it was dumb, it is incredibly miserable.

I believe the airplay got them in trouble with the ACCC too, for not disclosing it as an advertisement

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I just saw one of their commercials yesterday. They're no longer doing "it's not for women!" anymore, now it's just some weird lumberjack looking guy in a canoe in the Rockies or some poo poo.

I remember people getting pretty fired up over that slogan, so maybe that's why they toned it down.

Yeah, they resisted for a bit but it didn't take them long to realize how disastrous the campaign was. Really, I never think it was about cutting out the female demographic as much as it was for them to produce a diet soda that guys would be more drawn toward. They just did it in a really, really dumb way.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, they resisted for a bit but it didn't take them long to realize how disastrous the campaign was. Really, I never think it was about cutting out the female demographic as much as it was for them to produce a diet soda that guys would be more drawn toward. They just did it in a really, really dumb way.

Agreed. Dove Men+Care is a better example of man-friendly marketing. They still do the "holy crap look how manly your man-hide is, you've got to take care of that you beautiful beast you," but they don't call out women at all. I think even men who welcome man-marketed products know it's a bad idea to throw a middle finger at the ladies.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

That reminds me of McDonalds and the ArchDeluxe, which was advertised with the idea that kids don't like it.

I was thinking of this as well. When your entire ad campaign involves commercials of people (even if they're kids) saying that your product is gross and they hate it, then you have seriously hosed up somewhere.

Even worse, that was the second giant failure of a campaign to push the Arch Deluxe as an "adult" burger. The first one involved Ronald McDonald hanging out in bars, smoking and shooting pool. For some reason, concerned parents didn't care for that too much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maggie Fletcher posted:

That ad campaign and its character Fizzly Adams (I hate that I know that) was part of their shift away from the super aggressive not for women advertising that bombed. What I meant was I don't know what the gender purchasing split is anymore.

In general companies tend to get weird sticks up their butts about the gender of who buys their products which can range from the simple like ballpark hotdogs recent men first realignment to the completely goddamn disastrous like whatever idiot in the Bic pen company came up with the "for her" line of pens.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Iirc the Dr Pepper 10 ad campaign was based on calling men out because guys think products with "diet" in the title are feminine or girly (according to marketing surveys). It was started as an ironic mockery of men, they just pushed the ads way too hard and never got around to actually punchlining their joke.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nipponophile posted:

Even worse, that was the second giant failure of a campaign to push the Arch Deluxe as an "adult" burger. The first one involved Ronald McDonald hanging out in bars, smoking and shooting pool. For some reason, concerned parents didn't care for that too much.

I saw the commercial where he died of hypothermia under a bridge crying for his dead wife and cursing an uncaring God. Really wanted a very specific burger, I can loving tell you that.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Let's exam this, as it's the weirdest funniest thing in this thread. It starts weird and ends weirder which is off the scales and stars Kane from C&C

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Millions of Crows posted:

Let's exam this, as it's the weirdest funniest thing in this thread. It starts weird and ends weirder which is off the scales and stars Kane from C&C

Joe Kucan has way better teeth than this guy.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

sharts posted:

No ring though

This thing was a failure even with the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It is probably useful for them to point out that darkly colored beer isn't more caloric, which a lot of people seem to think.