Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MindlessHavok posted:

It's not that they're not guaranteeing two day shipping, it's that they're no longer guaranteeing it from when you order it, but from when it's actually processed and shipped, which for me is usually same day anyway. Maybe it has to do with proximity to their warehouses.

That said, I've not had any issues with it and I love having Amazon Prime to watch shows/movies. Also, we have 3 people that share the prime account to our individual amazon accounts so it's well worth it. There's also a few times I've bought things and been able to utilize the same-day shipping. I broke my iron the other day and bought one when I got to work and it was at my door before I got home.

Yeah I'm not really bitching and what you said makes a lot of sense, especially knowing how brutal their warehouses can be on their employees,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The whole point of buying poo poo online at Walmart though is that they've got it waiting for you in one location. I certainly understand not wanting to actually walk around the store, though.

Yeah it's weird, your average Wal-Mart manages to be more depressing than your average K-Mart and your average K-Mart seems to see depressing decor as a selling point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mulva posted:

She doesn't get enough credit, she is literally the greatest living troll. She got Tim Cook and the CCP within a few months.

She's the pop princess prom queen for the better part of a decade running. She gets plenty of credit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

90s Nostalgia is pretty big right now

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Let's not forget one of the most well-known examples of "and the mighty did fall" brands predicting their place in the future, Pan-Am in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Apparently this is an actual promotional ad from 1970.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Around 2011 or so I agreed with you guys, but touch screen tech really has come a good and long way from the days when not adopting them was conceivably a wise business decision. It's still not great, but I type up whole long-winded bullshit posts on a Galaxy S4 all the time with minimal errors. I completely agree that not even having the option for a physical QWERTY keyboard these days is baffling though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Early 00s attempts at touchscreens are so endearing. I loathe Steve Jobs' place in the world but one thing he was dead right on-- no consumer on earth will get involved with a touch-screen if the world "stylus" is mandatory.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Was it worth the rush even if you skipped over the word "mandatory"? Cause it looks like you skipped over the word "mandatory."

You can get away with not using a stylus on the DS until you're deep into a game that suddenly pulls out the stylus for a minigame. That was the point. If you start talking about an accessory first thing people immediately turn off. "Why am I holding this ugly wand right away? I thought this thing could sense my fingers like in the Star Trek. Isn't that the point? Ugh this isn't ready."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Given how fervently some Trekkies still adhere to the classics and pretty much everything about crucifixes and pieta recreations..... I suppose it makes a certain level of sense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

The lable conjures up the images of Father Kickerbocker, Al Smith and Tammany Hall, but the ads make me think of Russian space robot hookers.

In order words it's true NYC as gently caress.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like how even the model has that "are you sure this is going to fly?" look.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Quiznos attempting to use the Spongemonkeys is still a high watermark for advertising trying and failing to approximate lovely early 00s internet flash-based memes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuPTZWhz46M

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sony's entire bungling of the PS3 is p. fascinating from a variety of perspectives, advertising being only one of them. They went from one of the top-selling video game consoles of all time (the PS2, whose sales are only rivaled by the original NES, original Game Boy, and the Wii), to stalling out with the PS3 until 2009-11 (and even then with huge failures like the Move).

People forget that the PS2 had a loving ton of weird-rear end David Lynch commercials too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMehuZo3x8

But it didn't matter because the PS2 was ultimately the best choice on the market at the time, while the PS3/PSP simply weren't.

From a consumer perspective it was like they looked at most of the reasons the PS1/2 dominated their respective eras--very affordable prices relative to the competition, extremely developer-friendly software, timing the market via CDs and DVD functionality respectively, not going after high-end tech specs, backwards compatibility, building a stable of reliable brands to at least compete with Nintendo--and said "nah we're not going to even try that again." Granted Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD was a thing at the time, but everything else they had no excuse for and their got their market share rightfully gobbled up by Nintendo's 1-2 punch of the Nintendo DS and Wii. The PS3 was a clunky, expensive, power-guzzling waste of space that had rear end-backwards backwards compatibility (that was eventually stripped out) and generally poor everything for years. It eventually became ok as the years wore on, prices came down, devs got used to the software, and the library grew, but for a number of years it was like "Sony wtf happened to you guys?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There is no real way that ends well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RLM's memetic joke about them five years ago did a lot of that legwork for them if they didn't already know.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

These are the best because the big selling point is that laptops can become tablets, which is the equivalent of a shocked ex-girlfriend bargaining to get back together by saying "what you like that blonde with big tits I'll dye my hair and get implants see we're the same LOVE ME!"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Marketing team gets paid what?

More than what most of us get paid in 5 years.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Because it'd diminish the exclusivity of those Stingray/Ferrari bodies. Even with "tell" differences like stripes or fins or whatever on the body to differentiate true from false the crowd willing to spend all the extra money on a real-deal luxury car would diminish and with it the cachet of the fakes would disappear. Could be lucrative if you planned it as a very limited life kind-of deal and built-in exit plans, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd genuinely go for the opposite approach.

Previa_fun posted:

They basically boil down to "Young people aren't saving money. It must be because of all the fancy vacations they're taking!" :fuckoff:

It's because a lot of the people behind them know bougie/new money kids who are taking vacations and it colors their perception of what most young people are doing. Alternatively they're actually targeting those bougie/new money kids specifically because gently caress if poor people saving is going to benefit them at all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

Come on, did you actually watch the video that I linked or did you just assume that I'm being an rear end in a top hat?

He's been on an inflammation spree lately.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

AA actually pisses me off because it teaches you that its not your fault and there's nothing you can do about it except pray that God takes away your affliction.

If it works for some people then good for them, but I know some people who it definitely doesn't work for and probably just enables the poo poo out of them.

Not even "pray it away", more like "keep going to a group of like-minded vulnerable people and come up with new vices like coffee/cigarettes to distract you while sharing war stories." It's such an obviously flawed system that offers nothing but circlejerking even in the best possible circumstances.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The best was they had a Buzzfeed article where they claimed it was all the idea of a hot 19 year-old on Twitter.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but literally one of the messages of AA is that you are powerless to fix what is wrong with you, and only a "higher power" can save you.
They say higher power to avoid being too denominational as Christian, but its God.

Exactly.

I had to attend a bunch of AA/NA meetings in high school. It's rooted in Christianity but what I described was far more what happened than any church preying on broken people, although I don't doubt that still happens where Christianity is still more deeply rooted in the culture.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pentyne posted:

DARE was an objective failure by every measured standard, and the response of the DARE head to multiple studies that showed literally no decrease in youth drug experimentation and in many cases a measurable increase was along the lines of "These studies and data don't mean anything, our DARE officers on the ground know that its effective".

That lines up perfectly with what the DARE officer I had when I was 9 said "Don't go to school if you want to become a cop. College grads know how to read books, not people :smug:"

Literally all anyone was interested in was the suitcase full of examples of drugs, and we were all fascinated by the variety pills and LSD stamps could come in.

I had no clue what drugs even were before that course.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I always felt like the sort of treatment marijuana gets could unintentionally create the 'gateway' effect they try to shut down. A largely harmless drug gets lumped in with the really rough poo poo, people then take it and A: have a pretty good time and B: don't explode, they start going 'well they lied about this one, they probably lied about others too'.

I have no actual statistics or evidence on this, it just seems like a reasonable sequence of events.

Not even that much. The fact that pot is black market means having to get in-touch with people who have reliable, consistent connections which in-turn means that eventually you're likely to run into people who do and/or can hook you up with heavier poo poo. It's a problem literally created by prohibition.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Nov 2, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

insufficient guns posted:

At least they worked on me, but I never had a strong inclination to smoke.

Well that's the rub isn't it? I was ok never smoking until I found myself in a situation where suddenly cigarettes were a way to cope and not much else was available. I knew every stupid problem these ads had brought up but circumstances will usually beat out propaganda when the circumstances are strong enough.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I know at least 2 people who still smoke claiming that "doctors don't know poo poo, all they care about its their paychecks". So you should put money into multibillion dollar companies, also wouldn't doctors want you to smoke so you have more health problems they can charge you for?

Smoking out of spite confuses me.

I get smoking out of spite, but that logic is flawed for so many reasons. Doctors can be some of the biggest pieces of poo poo imaginable, but if all they wanted was a paycheck there are loads of jobs that involve less work for even more pay especially if you have no ethical scruples and the kind-of discipline needed to get through Medical School in the first place.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Remember when there was an idea that the internet would actually reduce hysteria because facts and information would be quick to spread and verify?

That was a nice 2-3 years.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

swims posted:

Damon Bruce Bay Area sports talk radio guy just had a segment about this ad about 45 min ago.

We're being watched...

Nah there's like an ouroboros for popular content on the internet-- Facebook, Twitter, Imgur, Reddit, Tumblr, and many more portals of which SA is relatively tiny. There are weirdos paid to trawl these sites for anything remotely interesting to put on local news, Buzzfeed, radio, and the like.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've said it before and I'll say it again-- a group of people got paid more than everyone in this thread makes in a year combined for this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's the :smug: excuse marketers always use as a rationalization for terrible work. If that were true then Alka-Seltzer's sales would have soared after their famous Spaghetti ad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Many months from now, you'll have zero or barely any recollection of that monkey baby bullshit. But when presented with a row of unknown drinks on the shelf, the one depicted in the commercial, will give you a vague feeling of familiarity. You won't know where, how or why. But the chance of you picking it out of the bunch is undeniably huge.

Go ahead and tell us just how cool you are for totally going against advertising and such. But entire institutes filled with brilliant highly paid researchers have figured it out long ago. And products get sold.

Sleeveless posted:

Shhh, just let the weekly "advertising doesn't work on me/why don't they just stop making ads and save the money since they're already so popular/there is such thing as bad publicity" cycle play out,

Yes we know you're the cleverest 9th graders in the room.

Sentient Data posted:

For example, I'm the ideal secondary target for the ad - I literally have no idea what you're talking about with the monkey thing, but the reference has no information at all so any word of mouth exposure to me is completely worthless. At least with other intentionally bad ads the product is usually baked into it (annoying phone number jingles, apply this glue stick to your head, etc), but this is just an example of poor execution

I'm reminded of those creepy talking baby ads from 5-10 years ago--the ones where babies talked like adults about their finances. I still don't remember what the hell they were selling but I remember the creepy factor. Novelty factor doesn't mean nearly as much as this thread seems to think it does if the product isn't 210% clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQhwNtY3N2k

This is considered one of the most memorable commercials ever made and yet 9/10 people watching would tell you it's for spaghetti sauce on a first watch. Therefore it is largely considered a failure.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Andrast posted:

The only person who is trying to be smugly superior here is you.

Bingo. I don't disagree with a word of what he's saying as much as saying "well you're talking about so it worked" is the most basic poo poo anyone even tangentially involved in marketing can say. There is literally no reason to resort to that phrase unless you're actively trying to be the smuggest, most arrogant prick in the room. Going by other threads I've seen him post in that seems to be an accurate assessment of his character, and I say that as someone who doesn't feel superior to that assessment. Pompous jackoffs can spot our own.

The only part I quibble on is that word-of-mouth isn't the only metric by which advertising success can be derived. It's a large portion, to be sure, but at the end of the day if your ad can be repurposed for literally any other product to the same effect then your ad is probably not all that great. The worst part is that by deliberately focusing on this terrible ad in particular I can't judge its efficacy to myself as I've focused on it far, far more than the average consumer ever will.

Nitrox posted:

oh yeah, totally. I'm the one and only.

You're pretty bad dude.

Alaois posted:

it's a two-headed ourobourous of smug superiority, really

Now that you're here it's really a party. Do you get text alerts whenever there's a chance to drop white noise in a thread where someone is being pretentious or is it more of a natural radar sense?

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Feb 7, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That guy who does regular car reviews said that the scion cars are actually most adopted by old people because of the low clearance needed to get in and out. I have no idea if it's true or not but the idea made me laugh given how aggressively the scion wants to be the car of young people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It really isn't taught hard enough that every single entertainer you ever see from politicians to wrestlers to movie stars to YouTube "personalities" to cafe musicians are all putting on some level of an act.

Hunter S. Thompson's drug escapades? Almost entirely exaggerated because that was what was part of his image, although make no mistake the man did do a ton of drugs. Vonnegut's "wise old uncle" affectation? Carefully cultivated. Bill Hicks' act? Very much an act he'd pull out based on how he likely was in his early 20s. Obama keeps any poo poo he has carefully on-lock, even if he's genuinely a classy son of a bitch. Albert Einstein used to have go-to phrases to shut people down when they'd come up to him in Princeton and try to talk to him like he was the Einstein of lore.

You'd think this would be common sense--and it is after the fact--yet I and nearly everyone I know has to go through that phase where they deny it because they really want to believe that somewhere out there is a public figure who isn't acting. Do you know which people do that? The crazy burnout drugged-up folk who actually implode and ruin their careers. They're the ones who aren't acting. Everyone else is managing a stage persona. Everyone. Yes him too. I don't even know who you were thinking of but I guarantee they are too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Statham rocks but I don't know what world y'all live in where he's anywhere close to average.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah that makes much much much more sense. My mistake.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fun trivia about the poor guy wearing that coat:

* He was cast after some Producer saw him casually entertaining people at a party
* He was actually a good actor despite being given some of the worst material Doctor Who has produced (which if you know anything about the show carries a lot of weight)
* While he was on the show itself was dicked around with mercilessly by a BBC head who hated science fiction, this show, and this guy in particular; schedule changes, low promotion, benching the show for a year at a time, and so on
* That BBC head was also loving this guy's ex-wife.

Want to talk about a stiff upper lip and a proper stage face? Goddamn.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doggles posted:

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

Oh my god, I looked it up and it's actually real! Comments are conspicuously turned off for that ad on Youtube.

They're trying to figure out the best angle to play "we meant to do that" before hiding behind the clarion cry of every mediocre anything-- "well you're paying attention aren't you?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Such classic Millennial possessions as: Jet planes.

Taylor Swift's fight song spontaneously starts playing every time you open the loving box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't hear no Fight Song playing