Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Buckets posted:

I just saw some domino commercials for "pizza insurance". To me, it came across as them saying they gently caress up their orders so often they were forced to try and make a marketing gimmick out of it.

No, the pizza insurance is if YOU gently caress up the order. Yo u drop it getting out of the car or something.

They've had some variation of "if we gently caress it up, let us know and we'll remake it ASAP" for a while, since 10-ish years ago when they put out those commercials where they acknowledged that everyone said their pizza was crap and they actually improved the recipe.

To their credit, they did own up to the fact they had the worst pizza of the national chains...it was like ketchup and Elmer's glue on cardboard. I'm not saying it's fantastic now, but it's passable and a lot better than it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--BvXpaGq4

Wasn't this done by a goon, or goon-adjacent?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

Is there a thread for dumb marketing moves that are poo poo out by an algorithm?

https://twitter.com/MarkMeredith/status/1215341652484603904

Wasn't there a targeted t-shirt thread in GBS at one point?

Most of those are along the lines of,
"If you were born in MARCH and drive a FORKLIFT, then you'll know to GET OUT OF MY WAY!"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Remember how Chyna died the day before Prince? And Farrah Fawcett two minutes short of three hours before Michael Jackson?

And three days after Farrah and Michael, Billy Mays died and no one cared except Anthony Sullivan.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Oh yeah, smartass? What animal rear end do you chug whisky from?

An iguana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf9uAwV61-I

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

for twenty-five dollars you can buy semen from a bull named, uh, "Final Solution"

I'm not convinced that "bull" isn't two guys in a bull suit. Something about the legs is really disconcerting.

And I'm glad for Philly sports fans, because as a Boston sports fan, it's reassuring to know there's at least one group of sports fans that are bigger assholes than we are.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Feb 21, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sereri posted:

well who does viral marketing better than Corona right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRrBlLeZENU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Memento posted:

It also explains the incredible tone deafness of the whole thing. Wasn't it a Swedish company that made a realtime strategy game about the Civil War and called it War of Rights?

Is Zwarte Piet a thing in Sweden? Cause that kind of adds to that whole region's tone deaf-ness to race issues.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

High School yearbook page dedicated to the kid who died drunk driving.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Elbows are overrated

Isn't that just Chloe Ting?

I've been told she's basically a robot/AI creation.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's like when companies change their logos (often for the worse) for no loving reason.

Weird-cult-like-Pepsi-re-branding-document.pdf

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh well that's different. You just said baking, not bread specifically. I've never tried baking bread. :shrug:

Oh, yeah, bread is a lot more precise than, say, cakes or cookies.

I think the average person can make perfectly fine cake, cookies, brownies, etc... by just volumetric measurements. If you have like 10-15% more or less flour or whatever than the recipe calls for, it ultimtely won't affect it that much.

But bread? drat, man, yeast is picky, and gluten formation (or lack thereof for certain bread varieties,) is critical and can be affected by so many things.

Hot, humid, day? Your flour will weigh more from absorbing water from the air, so take that into account and use and less water, and your yeast will rise faster, too (if you just have it rise on a counter, most pro or expert home cooks use a proofing drawer or just an oven set real low, like 100 F or what have you)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I mean I'd definitely suck Santa's dick

I mean...there's a reason the song "Santa Baby" is popular, and it's not because people DON'T want to suck some Little Saint Dick.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Low-hanging fruit, I know

Santa's an old man, what do you expect?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

Pants makers, in particular, have been especially hard hit by the pandemic and shift to zoom meetings

But the bathrobe industry has exploded!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Edit: Wrong thread, see my dumb mistake quoted below for all eternity.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Jan 13, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Haha, whoops! The peril of multiple tabs open at once.

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I think you got the wrong thread, but which thread did you mean to post this in because I'm looking to wire up my place too.

The PYF Recent Purchases thread.

If you need advice on what you need/how to wire up home ethernet, check the Home networking thread in SH/SC.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Phanatic posted:

It also prevents blood from clotting.

You know, if you have a need for that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

All that plus his injury’s on films which really messed him up.

Man, the few times you see him as "himself" on Doom Patrol (and not just as a robot voice,) you can really tell. Even though they don't have him do much, you can just see his walking and movement is very stiff.

Which I think it's not always such a great thing when we see actors "do their own stunts." For one, they're taking jobs from stunt artists who have training to do the stunts and also enjoy being employed, and two, it can lead to poo poo like that. I don't think Fraser is the first actor to talk about how doing their own stunts led to injury.

How Tom Cruise manages to still do it is anyone's guess, though I guess despite his crazy Scientology-ness, by all accounts he's a crazy professional and workaholic on set so really he's had pretty much as much training as a real stunt guy.

But, as said, as a VOA on Doom Patrol he's great, fun show, everyone should watch it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Tom Cruise lost control of his temper. That’s it. He should have some Cruise control.

Jay Sherman? That you?
https://youtu.be/yPBTE0wlZF4

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Do you ever wish Twitter was more like Patreon and also Facebook?

Well, the future is now!
https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/25/22301375/twitter-super-follows-communities-paid-followers

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

At least in New England those are very abnormal.

Hell, billboards of ANY type are abnormal is 1/3 of the states here.

Maine and Vermont have anti-billboard laws.

Even New Hampshire doesn't have that many outside of southern NH, which is just northern MA anyway.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Do they still have the loving noncompete agreement for all their goddamn sandwich stop staff, though?

Lol, that reminds me of when I was working in restaurants, one of my coworkers there wanted to get a job at a nicer, local, place while still working part time at the corporate joint we were at. He was just trying to make as much money as possible for a move at the end of the year.

The local place didn't want to hire him because the owner was afraid he would steal their secrets and give them to corporate.

Yes, a loving lowly line cook has a direct line to the corporate kitchens who are desperately trying to deduce the secret of your hollandaise.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Mar 17, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I imagine you can also steam them, Albany style.

Ironically enough, steamed hams are a REAL thing, but in parts of Connecticut, not Albany:
https://www.masslive.com/food/2015/05/connecticut_steamed_cheeseburgers.html

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Read the loving room, Guardian.

Eating bread...so brave.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I could care less that the Orange one has tied shows, or that the green M&M is no longer "sexy" and has Dad-esque New Balance sneakers. (though maybe some people DO care? https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/green-mm-mars-wrigley-rebrand-sneakers-slut-1287965/)

But I can't stand the inconsistency.

The Blue and Green M&M have white colored arms and legs, but all the others have sort-of Caucasian colored arms and legs? What's up with that?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

There's a brewpub near me that brew a smoked stout and a raspberry lambic, and one of their suggested pours is half of each.

Surprisingly good. I feel their stout is TOO caramely and smokey, and the lambic too sweet, so together they have a nice balance.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Getting flashbacks to the refund era of Star Citizen when CIG put in a clause that said reading the TOS meant accepting the TOS.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Speaking of Amouranth, did anything ever actually happen with those huge abuse allegations she made against her husband?

Months ago (fake edit: a year ago), she came out and say he was basically forcing her to do these giant-rear end 10 or 12 hour streams, made her do the OnlyFans stuff, and was 100% in control of all her finances and even had a recording of him being very verbally abusive, and then...nothing really came of it?

Last I read, she got a ton of support but then she kind of just went,
"Oh, he's changed now, brand-new man, he promised no more abuse, thx bye!"

Naturally, that made a LOT of people call "fake" and "just did it for attention/drive up views" but someone going back to an abusive partner is VERY common, even if they're rich/relatively famous. Just wondering if there's any info if she actually IS still with him or managed to ditch his rear end.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Charliehorse is an unused Guild villain from Venture Brothers, and I won't hear otherwise.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Oh dear.

Never read much DC. That sure is something

I had to look it up because I'm also not as familiar with DC stuff and...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sure do love me some amorphous green pickle/lettuce blobs!

They compliment to tom-onion slivers so well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It takes a lot of work and prep to make a crappy fast food burger look decent for a photoshoot. You can find tons of articles about all the weird poo poo they do to balance their marketing goals with not technically running afoul of the law. It's the same as cereal commercials using real cereal but fake milk. There's no way loving with prompts for half an hour is more work.

Yeah, food photoshoots are tricky.

But SURELY they must have hundreds and hundreds of EXISTING photographs of burgers from previous ads, right? Like...just go to the loving Whopper Photo Archive or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Better get used to terrible AI images in ads if even looking through an archive of burger photos is too hard for Burger King marketing dept

Which is odd because I thought (US at least) ads for foods have to be the ACTUAL food.

Like, the reason they go through those huge rigmaroles to get a decent photo of normally trash-looking burgers is because they have to. They can't use plastic/fake food in the ads.

Obviously, they have a huge amount of wiggle room in how they show that food, so long as it's technically, sort of, the same food you'd get at BK. They can choose the perfect bun, best looking lettuce and tomato, and, as said, stack it so it look good from one angle, melt the cheese with a blowtorch so it's not over or under melted, and even strategically squirt ketchup from a syringe on just the perfect spot. But it is all food. This...isn't.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Fishstick posted:

I'm not so sure that's true, a lot of food photography is literally inedible or fake - like using motor oil for syrup, or shaving cream for whipped cream.

That's only true if it's not the food you're selling. You can use glue for the milk if you're selling cereal, and oil for syrup if you're selling pancakes (I think.)

But if you're selling a Whopper, all those things have to be the ingredients of the Whopper.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Chemtrailologist posted:

https://nypost.com/2024/02/26/business/wendys-planning-surge-prices-based-on-fluctuating-demand/

One of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Right up there with Quibi and the Juicero.

Someone who knows business better than me please explain how investing $20 million on fancy new digital menus isn't an "additional overhead cost"?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I remember when a can of Surge was only 50 cents from the vending machine.

I remember the Sam's Choice soda machine outside the Wal-Mart was only 25 cents in the mid yo late 90's.

Loved the Sam's Grape, no idea why I liked it more than "name brand" grape sodas. I'm sure if I had ANY grape soda now, let alone a Sam's Choice one, I'd find it sickeningly sweet and cloying.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

There's no way that counts as dry.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

There had to have been a better way to put the world "Challengers" on a poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007