Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pentyne posted:

McDonald's has some pretty hilarious marketing disasters. The Arch Deluxe is ranked as one of the biggest marketing flops ever, and as soon as it launched I remember seeing ads and going "what the gently caress are they trying to sell? adult taste? what does that even mean?"

Then you get McDonald's pizza, an offering that required you to place an order, wait 11 minutes for it to cook, at a place where people want to get food and go in 3 minutes or less.

There was the classic 1984 Olympics offer, where McD's had to hand out insane amounts of free food when the USSR didn't compete.

The Monopoly disaster where it turned out that since starting the annual contest all the winning pieces were stolen and funneled to family and friends by the guy in charge of distributing them.

Don't forget the McDLT. Just as the collective consciousness of the USA was waking up to being concerned about the environment, leading up to things like the big Earth Day anniversary in 1990, a whole bunch of mass-marketed "save the planet" crap, and a general opposition to styrofoam packaging, McDonald's comes out with a sandwich box that takes twice as much styrofoam as normal. Starring Jason Alexander:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSdUOC8Kac

Putting aside for the moment the discussion over whether or not styrofoam is environmentally worse than a similar amount paper packaging, the zeigeist was clearly not with them and they pulled it from the market in late 1990.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

UnoriginalMind posted:

I checked the past few pages and didn't see anything about that "Macro Brew" ad that Budweiser put out. The entire thing boiled down to "We're not one of those SNOBBY CRAFT BREWS. We're BREWED HARD and don't taste like peaches." Uh. Okay.

Translation: "Help, craft beer is killing our sales and we have no way to differentiate our lovely pisswater from similarly priced lovely pisswater."

Thinking about it, I don't actually know anyone that drinks Bud Light or Budweiser. My generation skipped it, seems like.

It's even dumber, because craft beer isn't what's killing their sales. Cheap wine and liquor used to be horrible, but now they're decent, and that's what people are fleeing macros for. One of the posters over in the beer thread pointed out it's like a commercial for pickup trucks attacking Prius drivers. It was never your market anyway, attacking it doesn't make any sense.

They're also buying up local craft brewers, like Elysian, which actually *does* make a peach pumpkin beer like they attack in that ad. The fact that they can *attack their own product* indicates the lack of competition between the two market segments.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah that ad sucked, but I'm sure it played well with the very real demographic that considers all craft beer to be something for fags and hipsters.

Hrm, what about this ad they ran a few months back?

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Feb 3, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

You're missing the point. The "millenial" generation has grown up in an era of unprecedented technological advances and the tried and true methods of marketing for the past 60 years are now completely useless.

Every generation has grown up in an era of unprecedented technological advances for a few hundred years now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Mister Mind posted:

As dumb as they might be, the Truth antismoking campaign does look to be actually sincere and independent of any tobacco companies. Go back a little way farther, and you'll see how cynical it can be when Big Tobacco (Lorillard, in this case) puts together its own "Hey kids, smoking is only for cool grownups!" PSAs.

ISIS's antismoking campaign is going to be way more effective:

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-islamic-state-smoking-ban-20150212-story.html

quote:

Beheadings have become commonplace in the territories held by the militant Islamic State, but the severed head reportedly found last month in the eastern Syrian city of Al-Mayadeen was nevertheless unusual.

It had a cigarette placed between its lips.

“This is not permissible, Sheikh,” someone had scrawled in Arabic on the decapitated corpse lying nearby, according to an account from the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a pro-opposition monitoring group. The body and head belonged to an Islamic State official, a deputy police chief.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

duckmaster posted:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides...fEN&language=EN

It's the law that standardises chargers to the micro-USB format which the 3DS doesn't use. Nintendo can get away with this because

Because it's not a cell phone which is what that article is talking about. And because this doesn't have to enter into law in any EU country until 2016. And because phone makers have until 2017 to change their chargers. But really, because the 3DS *isn't a cell phone*.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Y2K wasn't a big deal precisely because people prepared for it and something like half a trillion dollars were spent in efforts to do so.

https://clarotesting.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/y2k-why-i-know-it-was-a-real-problem/

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Worst thing I heard happen was a few people got summed to jury duty on dates like January 2, 1900.

Well, a few unnecessary abortions happened because tests for birth defects came back as false positives. But you know, whatever.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Lenovo sold computers with malware preinstalled. Not just some random unwanted adware either, but software that actually does a man-in-the-middle attack on the user, installed its own *root CA certificate*, which means that it's breaking into and reading all your SSL traffic. And as an even bigger facepalm, it uses the same root CA cert for each computer, which means that anyone else who sniffs your SSL traffic can also read it now. So, you know, don't use wifi to check your bank account or anything like that.

http://marcrogers.org/2015/02/19/lenovo-installs-adware-on-customer-laptops-and-compromises-all-ssl/
http://blog.erratasec.com/2015/02/some-notes-on-superfish.html#.VOX1kfnF9pl

But don't worry. To keep the ssl key secure, they stored it upside down:

https://twitter.com/supersat/status/568329299494744065

This is worse in magnitude of gently caress-the-customer contempt than the Sony rootkit debacle was, although it's probably not as widespread.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

That didn't take long.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/lenovo-pcs-ship-with-man-in-the-middle-adware-that-breaks-https-connections/

quote:

[Update: Rob Graham, CEO of security firm Errata Security, has cracked the cryptographic key encrypting the Superfish certificate. That means anyone can now use the private key to launch man-in-the-middle HTTPS attacks that won't be detected by machines that have the certificate installed. It took Graham just three hours to figure out that the password was "komodia" (minus the quotes). He told Ars the certificate works against Google even when an end-user is using Chrome. That confirms earlier statements that certificate pinning in the browser is not a defense against this attack (more about that below). Graham has a detailed explanation how he did it here.]

Lenovo's response should be an example to companies of how *not* to respond to a PR debacle:

http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1929

quote:

We have thoroughly investigated this technology and do not find any evidence to substantiate security concerns. But we know that users reacted to this issue with concern, and so we have taken direct action to stop shipping any products with this software. We will continue to review what we do and how we do it in order to ensure we put our user needs, experience and priorities first.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

Liverpool FC is one of the most storied clubs in England, known for their long history of winning lots of titles (not recently) and the tragedy of the Hillsborough disaster of 1989. "You'll Never Walk Alone" has been the clubs slogan since the 1960s, and the phrase gained increased importance to club supporters since the 1989 tragedy.

"You'll never walk alone" sounds like a really inappropriate slogan to associate with a disaster caused by thousands of people trying to walk into the stadium together. It's like identifying "Fly the friendly skies" with 9/11.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Wow, dumb move in marketing is an understatement here. My favorite Twitter comment so far:

"The last person I wanna discuss race with is a snotty condescending 18 yr old barista that corrects me when I say large instead of venti"

Best one I've seen is "I don't have time to explain 400 years of oppression to you and still make my train."

Article about the hands-on experience thus far:

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3043852/this-is-what-happens-when-you-walk-into-starbucks-and-talk-to-the-barista-about-race

quote:

When I make my final coffee order, from another barista who is black, I have the following exchange:

Me: This is a little embarrassing, but I was wondering if you wanted to talk about race.
Him: Race?
Me: Yeah.
Him: What to say about it?
Me: I don't know, I just saw there was that promotion going on.
Him: Oh yeah.
Me: Yeah. Like, what happens if someone wants to talk about it?
Him: I don't know. Nothing.

No corporation can force people to have an honest conversation about America's race problem. They'll either have one or they won't. Simply presenting them with the opportunity, though, doesn't even raise awareness of the matter; it just raises awareness of Starbucks's awareness.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

The poo poo with the Germanwings crash is completely unprecedented in the history of aviation

It's actually not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAM_Mozambique_Airlines_Flight_470

quote:

On 21 December 2013, the Mozambican Civil Aviation Institute (Instituto Moçambicano de Aviação Civil, IACM) head João Abreu presented the preliminary investigation report, according to which Captain Herminio dos Santos Fernandes had a "clear intention" to crash the jet and manually changed its autopilot settings.[14] The plane's intended altitude was reportedly changed three times from 38,000 feet (11,582 m) to 592 feet (180 m), the latter being below ground level, and the speed was manually adjusted as well.[15] The cockpit voice recorder captured several alarms going off during the descent, as well as repeated loud bangs on the door from the co-pilot, who was locked out of the cockpit until shortly before the crash.[2][16]

Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilkAir_Flight_185
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

Depressingly, none of them were "white" people, which is what gets the headlines.

Pretty sure EgyptAir 990 was a headliner when it went down.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/01/us/crash-egyptair-990-overview-egyptian-jet-carrying-217-plunges-into-atlantic.html

It's also kind of funny how you were unaware of those other crashed until just now, but it's everybody *else* that's racist for paying attention to the current disaster.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

USPS releases a stamp featuring Maya Angelou and a quote attributed to Maya Angelou. Except the quote's from an author of children's books who is distinctly not Maya Angelou.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...fa9a_story.html

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Came for the PYF, got DND.

Dumb marketing:

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/11/12/ddos-marketing-stunt/

quote:

The owner of a web host tried to promote his anti-DDoS kit and highlight vulnerabilities by launching two brief DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks against the Hong Kong stock exchange, but he instead wound up convicted and sentenced to nine months in jail.

According to the South China Morning Post, 28-year-old Tse Man-lai, owner of local web hoster Pacswitch Globe Telecom, in October was found guilty of "highly reckless" cyberattacks on the Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing (HKEx) news site on two days in August last year.

He was sentenced on Friday.

Judge Kim Longley cited seven companies with a combined value of HK$1.5 trillion that were forced to suspend trading because of the attacks, including HSBC and Cathay Pacific Airways.

Tse claimed that he accessed the HKEx site in two brief spurts, the first lasting 390 seconds and the second lasting only 70 seconds.

In his defence, Tse said he was only on long enough to take photos and video footage documenting his attacks - a premise that the judge accepted.

Tse had sought to demonstrate that the exchange's news site was still vulnerable after having endured two other DDoS attacks from hundreds of computers outside of Hong Kong.

He claims to have invented a technique to prevent such attacks and planned to use the screen images and video of his attacks to market his defence method.

The South China Morning Post noted that a former lawmaker for the technology industry spoke up for Tse, saying that his work had "advanced IT" in Hong Kong.

Senior Inspector Raymond Cao Wai-ki, of the Commercial Crime Bureau technology crime division, told the Post that Tse's hacking didn't damage the site, but that the prison term would send a clear message that the Internet is "not a lawless territory".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I though I'd share some vintage dumb marketing ideas from the Great War days.

Dumb Great War marketing ideas from today:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-32313043

quote:

The supermarket giant Woolworths has taken down an online Anzac Day campaign in Australia after it attracted strong criticism on social media.
The company had put its logo and the slogan "Fresh in our memories" over customers' pictures of soldiers who fought in World War One.

The Woolworths website had encouraged visitors to change their social media profile pictures by uploading images of past and present servicemen and servicewomen.

The picture generator branded the images with its logo and the words: "Lest We Forget Anzac 1915-2015. Fresh in our memories."
Woolworths' slogan in Australia is "The Fresh Food People", but the company denied it was a marketing strategy.

Minister for Veterans' Affairs Michael Ronaldson said he had demanded the company take down the campaign.

Mr Ronaldson said in a statement: "The Australian community quite rightly expects that the word 'Anzac' is not trivialised or used inappropriately and as Minister for Veterans' Affairs, I am responsible for ensuring that any use of the word Anzac does not provide commercial benefit to an organisation.
"In this instance, permission was not sought by the campaign proponents, nor would it have been approved. Immediately upon having this campaign brought to my attention, I contacted Woolworths."
The company said in a statement: "The Fresh in Our Memories website has been taken down. The site was developed to give our staff and customers a place to put their stories to mark the centenary of Anzac.
"We regret that our branding on the picture generator has caused offence, this was clearly never our intention. Like many heritage Australian companies, we were marking our respect for Anzac and our veterans.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Taking the fun out of funeral. :smith:

Mourning wood.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Smith & Wesson makes a line of handguns called the M&P.

This is not how to advertise that:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

also I keep reading that hashtag as Man DP

:thejoke:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This sounds like bullshit, and Google is turning up tons of sites calling it bullshit but none that even claim there to be a source.

'snopes mcdonalds third pound' has this as the first link:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=90037

which has a link to:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2014/07/great-third-pound-burger-ripoff

where the head of A&W at the time is quoted:

quote:

UPDATE: Elizabeth Green tweets that her source for this anecdote is Threshold Resistance by Alfred Taubman, who owned A&W in the 80s. Here's the relevant passage, after Taubman has called in Yankelovich, Skelly and White to figure out what was wrong with their burger:

Well, it turned out that customers preferred the taste of our fresh beef over traditional fast-food hockey pucks. Hands down, we had a better product. But there was a serious problem. More than half of the participants in the Yankelovich focus groups questioned the price of our burger. "Why," they asked, "should we pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as we do for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald's? You're overcharging us." Honestly. People thought a third of a pound was less than a quarter of a pound. After all, three is less than four!

Granted, he might be full of poo poo, but at least he's a source.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

"They already make a drink like that: Soylent Cola."

"Oh? How's it taste?"

"It varies from person to person."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

sassassin posted:

The way in which the licence fee is collected is archaic and out of line with every other public service, and the money should be exclusively used for news, educational, cultural and regional programming that could not be adequately funded any other way (plus producing those shows that return a profit due to sales in the global market).

If the show returns a profit on its own why should license fees be used to pay for it? Top Gear was an enormous money-maker for the BBC, the notion that some pensioner needs to cough up $225 a year to pay his share of the production fees for an enormously popular show about enormously expensive cars for enormously wealthy people is silly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

I'm glad that McDonald's did their careful millenial marketing research. Now all my friends and I drive the extra block to Taco Bell or Burger King to buy things for a dollar instead of a buck fifty.

Seriously, that has to be the most hocus-pocus horseshit about marketing toward a specific demographic that I've ever seen. The people looking for higher quality burgers sure as poo poo ain't looking at McDonald's, and the broke rear end early 20 somethings who want a burger while earning a less-than-livable wage are going to buy cheaper fast food instead

The reason the dollar menu is going away is that poo poo gets more expensive with time. Ground beef is more expensive than it used to be, the ingredients for the cheese are more expensive than it used to be, etc. Either you keep a dollar menu and watch it shrink as the things that used to be profitable to sell for a dollar become more expensive (Like, the double cheeseburger used to be on the dollar menu, but they replaced it with the McDouble, which is the same thing but with one slice of cheese instead of two), or you abandon the pleasing marketing hook of the dollar menu and go to a $1.50 menu, or whatever.

It's got nothing to do with the loving millenials, it's got to do with inflation:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/10/why-mcdonalds-killed-the-dollar-menu-in-1-chart/280778/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Privatization does generally seem to be a good way to generate good television shows.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Privatization also gave us ABC's insanely racist sitcom lineup. I'm not even sure how Black Attack and Those Kooky Gooks got greenlit, but privatized production has proven time and time again that bad ideas aren't the sole property of publicly-funded TV.

I didn't say that "privitization can't produce utter crap," and TV programming definitely follows Sturgeon's Law. There are entire channels that somehow manage to persist without for years having seemingly a single program worth watching (TLC in particular seems to be a bottomless cesspool of reality shovelware).

But, during a point in time where there's an unprecedented number of seriously loving excellent shows in pretty much any genre you'd care to name, the notion that public funding for broadcasting is necessary to produce good television is somewhat tone-deaf. There are plenty of lovely movies being made, too, but nobody's clamoring that we should charge people license fees so a government agency can turn out some feature films.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Possibly one of the worst examples you could have picked - TLC was originally a publicly-funded channel that was then a non-profit independent private channel, then started sliding down into poo poo almost immediately after it got bought by Discovery Communications.

TLC was privatized in *1980*, prior to which it was called the Appalachian Community Service Network and was viewed by approximately nobody. You're absolutely right that Discovery Communications wound up breaking all its legs but hasn't had the heart to just drag it behind the barn and shoot it, but any good programming that anyone remembers being shown on it was when it was a privately-run channel.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Good advertising entails not making the viewer's eyes bleed. So whoever designed that web page would suck at it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cage posted:

I hate to continue the derail but I have nowhere else to post this tidbit of information. I work at a college and here are good names Ive seen:

Heaven
Princess
Unique
Embroidery

My twin daughters, Monique and Unique. 5 dollars a shoe, that's 4 shoes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

FIFA's awfully-titled hagiography has been pulled from US theaters after making $918.00 in its opening weekend.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/18/fifas-united-passions-lowest-grossing-film-us-history

The film cost $25 million.

quote:

The film has done marginally better in Russia, the Blatter-approved beneficiary of the upcoming 2018 World Cup, where it has scored $158,000. It has not been picked up for distribution in football-loving countries such as the UK, Germany and Brazil and went straight to DVD in France.

Here's a review:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/04/united-passions-review-tim-roth-sam-neill-gerard-depardieu

quote:

So where did Fifa’s money go ? Considering that the film United Passions was principally bankrolled by the now-shamed sports organisation, it isn’t unfair to say some of the dough must have ended up in the pockets of Tim Roth, Gérard Depardieu, Sam Neill and Fischer Stevens.

You could argue and say they’re only actors, and actors like to work, but they surely read the screenplay before they signed on. Even without the current headlines, United Passions is a disgrace. It’s less a movie than preposterous self-hagiography, more appropriate for Scientology or the Rev Sun Myung Moon. As cinema it is excrement. As proof of corporate insanity it is a valuable case study.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

FWIW, Tim Roth flat-out admitted that he did it to get out of a "financial hole" and said that his father is probably spinning in his grave over the whole thing.

Reminds me of Michael Caine talking about Jaws 4: ""I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

But lord, even that film *made money*.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...e-10327313.html

A while back Heinz ran a promotion with QR codes on their bottles which would take you to a site where you can design your own ketchup label.

Ketchup has a long shelf life so plenty of those bottles are still out there, but Heinz let the domain lapse and it's now a porn site. So some poor German was inadvertently exposed to porn.

After he complained, Heinz apologized. And the porn site offered him a free subscription.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Apple has started pulling games from the app store which depict the Confederate flag.

Including Civil War-era wargames.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/25/apple-removes-confederate-flag/

quote:

It's looking like Apple has pulled everything from the App Store that features a Confederate flag, regardless of context. The reasoning Apple is sending developers is "...because it includes images of the confederate flag used in offensive and mean-spirited ways."

Look how mean-spirited and offensive this is:

Waiting for them to pull _Gettysburg_, _Glory_, _Gone With The Wind_, and _Shenandoah_ from the iTunes movie store.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Commas are important:

http://screamer.deadspin.com/banner-urges-englands-world-cup-fans-to-come-on-their-g-1713712446

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

OniPanda posted:

The confederate battle flag (the one they're using) is the stars and bars.

No, it's not. The stars-and-bars is the first national flag of the Confederacy, not any of Confederate battle flags.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Hey, remember Jared, the former hambeast who Subway still throws into an occasional ad?

http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-raids-home-of-subway-diet-spokesman-jared-fogle-2015-7

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare: Was that Bunny from The Wire? Dude must be having trouble finding work :ohdear:

Life imitates art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

"No way, why should I change? He's the one who sucks."