Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wedemeyer posted:

I do wonder if blackface is s thing in britain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show

:britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The idea is that since you save a dog's life when you adopt it from the shelter, if you get a dog some other way, you are basically killing that shelter dog you could have had. You monster.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

From what I heard I just missed Zachary Quinto being a good villain.

Season one is worth watching. The rest is not worth it even slightly.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

There was a goon who sold "handmade" jewelry in SA Mart that was all just Hobby Lobby baubles on chains at a huge markup and she got away with it for years, her finally getting called out and then vanishing off the face of the earth was great.

I fell for it and I'm still a bit cross.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol, but what the heck is Jessica Jones even supposed to say? Jewel?

Why would it say "Power man" when it says "Daredevil' and "Iron fist" ??

It's all their comic book code names. Jessica Jones was retconned in to have been a crimefighter when she was very young and she called herself Jewel.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Fishstick posted:

I don't know if the history with Blacks thing is accurate for Belgium, it's always had a hands-off policy.

holy poo poo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Part of me enjoys that the stupid compare the market adverts have built an actual world around those loving stupid meerkats. The jokes are no longer based on the old market-sounds-like-meerkat gag but come from the thin characterisation that the meerkats now have, like the one in the robe being kind of an rear end in a top hat to his assistant Sergei but admittedly secretly preferring when he's around. It's weird, I kind of dig it in a stupid way.

Wait they're not in a relationship? I need to pay more attention

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Siemens were enthusiastic users of slave labour from concentration camps during WW2 and had a plant in Auschwitz so it's good that they have a funny name. gently caress em.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Americans think it’s weird to have the washing machine in the kitchen. It’s indeed a regional thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I work in a pharmacy and more than once a man has asked me anxiously if a women's hair dye will work on his hair.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I know that after a couple of weeks in America (Minnesota) I started to feel slightly insane because it felt like every single thing I ate was sweetened. Like the inside of my mouth was coated constantly. And I have a pretty bad soda habit so like-- it's not as if I dislike sweetness in itself. I just started to yearn for something that was not sweet to the taste.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Every communion wafer I ever had was terrible and stupid and was basically ricepaper. I mean, it was the body of Christ, but it was also really bad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

We have what's essentially a much less sweet homemade shortbread for our Communion bread. Beats any Catholic Styrofoam chip any day. :smug:

(We also offer gluten-free wafers for those who need them, poor things.)

Jealous quite frankly

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tardcore posted:

Christ should have worked out more

Edit: hahah poo poo I just responded to a month old post

I appreciated it anyway bud

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

In pharmacy we're allowed, and in fact required, to sometimes just flat out refuse to sell somebody something, and there are people whose brains kind of break when that happens. They stare and say "No, it's all right" and I end up having to say very slowly and clearly, "I'm not going to sell that to you, because it's not safe for you".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lol at wearing men's jeans. I'm a fat middle aged woman and men's jeans are a disaster on me. Anyway my jeans have pockets, I want them on other kinds of trousers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Elmo is still terrible though.

Nah he's delightful. ...in very small doses.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Seriously, I used to do amateur theater and you know what makeup the dudes wear? The same stuff the women wear. You just go to the makeup aisle and grab the same stuff a woman with your skin tone would buy. It doesn't burn your skin or anything. It's just makeup.

I've had men ask me very seriously if lady hair dye will work on their hair.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

someone awful. posted:

i swear i remember this exact same product/internet backlash happened already a few years back, am i crazy?

These were definitely a thing last year.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/9/20/17791354/products-people-disabilities-sock-slider-banana-slicer-lazy

Here's an article with quotes by disability advocates/disabled people. But hey, it's a lot easier to just be a jerk online about things that don't cause problems for you, right?

Yeah seriously this is simple common sense. You can tell who in this discussion has given real and sympathetic thought to people with disabilities and who hasn't had to. Everyone finds those informercials funny - some people find them useful.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I never understood people’s desire to go someplace specifically to buy overpriced food, but then again I’m a Goon and probably at least slightly on the spectrum.

And it’s the poorest looking families at Six Flags walking around with 4 kids each holding a $15 commemorative soda mug while I’m trying to convince my child to share some fountain water out of a crumpled cup we bought four hours ago.

I dunno about that 'look at those poor looking people spending frivolous money!' energy to be honest.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

More people need to know about Belgium, though.

I read King Leopold's Ghost recently and OH BOY that didn't lead to happy dreams.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with a failed marketing campaign, but yeah, that gently caress still has statues in Belgium. Fortunately, they regularly get doused in red paint or lose a hand.

Belgium itself should pay more attention to this chapter of its history, but one of the reasons it remains underhighlighted (other than the obvious one of minimizing responsibility) is that they generally don't glorify or identify with their colonial past at all, the way many Brits do. Many Belgians barely identify with modern-day Belgium, and if they ever think about it at all they're usually outright negatively disposed towards what it was in the 19th century, namely an archetypical bourgeois state that brutally oppressed the working class and anything that stood in the way of French-speaking supremacism. Not making excuses, it doesn't mean we have the right to disassociate ourselves from those crimes and we need to get rid of those statues and monuments yesterday, but that's one of the psychological/sociological mechanisms involved.

That makes a lot of sense. Frankly our colonial past is underhighlighted too. Hardly anyone here knows about the various atrocities committed by the British imperial state and it's hosed up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I didn't even know about that so good job OperationLegacy I guess :mad:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

The only time I’ve seen of a Versa is from that Heroes TV show and that might actually fit the thread

That’s exactly what I thought of too. Suppose it did its job in a way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

I want my body launched at Jupiter and then in a billion years when some space man lands there they'll find my bones and go "what the gently caress?"

Lands on Jupiter?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

He's so close, that One Angry Gamer. 'Everyone I love and admire is taking this political stance! clearly they're all bad after all!' So close.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

It was a sad time for me when my email spam changed from "Hot babes in your area want to gently caress!" to "We've got pills that will make your dick work again." Especially annoying as it's one of the few parts of my body that is working properly. Offer me something to cure chronic fatigue or sciatica and I might be interested.

I'm a cis woman and I used to get so many of the dick pill spams. Nowadays it's all property buying which is hilarious because I'm also poor as gently caress.

e: Username-wise, I plan to claim I'm named after Grace Hopper if anyone asks but this username actually originates in the Kevin Spacey character from A Bugs Life which has gone from 'loving goofy' to 'dark secret' due to him being a disgusting monster.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The 'minority status' bit is a joke. The Neanderthal bit is due to how most white people are part Neanderthal.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mine literally just has my age and gender. Which are correct. Does Google think I'm boring?!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like this one, it reminds me of that one account (the details of which I'm sadly drawing a blank on) that's made ambiguous but creepy warning signs and such.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Somebody didn't reread the poster...

They obviously got all the information first time through from the completely clear and sensible poster.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait I thought the whole point of Coke Zero is that it's diet classic Coke instead of Diet Coke's diet new Coke

Nope. It's sugar-free Coke, but for boys now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah I didn't mean to imply Diet and Zero were the same, just that afaik it isn't a classic/new coke thing. Though I don't even know if those formulas are the same here as in the US.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Chipmunks version of Semi-Charmed Life edits out and alters most of the innuendo.

Most of it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

This is 90% of songs, though. If you disallow every song that's about loving, what's left? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCSSIEUukk

:colbert:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Reading around I found out that Pepsi once used 'Brown Sugar'. Amazing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Holy poo poo I didn't know some of these had been made for the Sims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb-VRm966iM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

How big is the loving wheel?