Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Out of curiosity is there any books that cover these kind of massive marketing fuckups or successes? Some kind of general non-fiction and not a textbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Mark Jackson is probably the worst chapter in battery advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmQhkaw_ypE

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Theres a segment from 'Hard Copy' from 1993 about Mark Jackson's rise to international battery stardom on youtube.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

As far as I can tell, the Australian government periodically picks a meat out of a hat and plugs it with a massive advertising campaign for the year. This time around it's pork and the ad directly compares it to other meats eg "slimmer than beef". Of course since they've plugged beef over pork in the past and will again in the future it just comes off as blatant hypocrisy.

PS Sam Neil and Sam Kekovich aren't part of the Australian government you loving dolt.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Slugnoid posted:

Bryan convinced one of my friends to (attempt to) quit. so there's that..

The smokers in my family are convinced by some BS facebook urban legend thing that 'Bryan' was actually an AIDS patient. Smoking does not cause cancer you see, also marijuana cures everything.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
With things like nuts it could be that they're packaged in a plant that does other snacks that use gluten in their seasoning and trace amounts could be there. I know a couple of people with severe coeliac disease and after some bad reactions they don't touch things like raw nuts or spices unless it's explicitly labelled as 'gluten-free'.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

And then people say a million annoying questions like "Are you suuuuuuuure you have celiac? I read it was made up. Are you just saying that because you're paleo? Don't you want to have a little bit of this cake? It can't be that bad, I would just eat this all the time if I was sick and deal with it."

A professor of nutrition here made a statement recently that gluten free diet was not necessarily healthier. That there was no intrinsic health benefit in gluten free foods for those who don't show coeliac symptoms and also that gluten-free did not necessarily mean low carbohydrate as often things like rice and potato are used in lieu of wheat.

So filter that statement through lovely news websites and social media clickbait and you get "expensive gluten free diet a sham" type stories with comment sections full of people falling over themselves to tell the world that millenials are gullible simpletons, allergies didn't exist when they were kids, macros of the effeminate man with dreadlocks, etc.

My friend that has coeliac disease had a handful of people send/tag these news stories to her saying "see, I told you". An older relative actually printed the story out and presented her with it at a family gathering.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh god there's an Australian defense recruiting ad that has some guy in the most deliberately obnoxious voice going about about how he's learning karatay followed by "Learn a real skill". Yeah you're right, learning to kill and/or get killed is way more valuable than martial arts, you condescending pricks! :fuckoff: Opinions(tm) aside, making GBS threads on a hobby* like that doesn't seem like the best way to get people agreeing with you.

*More than a hobby for some people but I can't think of the word

There was that year they had a big advertising push for the ADFA academy. Ads during the AFL grand final and everything. This is an academy where they reject you if you've ever done any sleep walking, have a wart on your knee, etc. I can't find any reference to it, but advertising cost divided by number of recruits was many thousands of dollars.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The McCafe coffee isn't terrible. It is espresso and not whatever demon piss the regular counter gives you.

They seem to do well.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Looks pretty fake with the chorus pedal not even plugged in.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Engineering is full of innuendo.

FAG roller bearings, Cummins Diesel, Fuchs lubricants, Siemens automation, etc.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Smeg appliances are all pretty high end, it's no shame if you're the kind of low income hill person who's never seen one.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Memento posted:

Yeah front-loaders are very much a high-end thing in Aus.

All the $2000+ washers are front loaders. But for regular brands they're pretty much the same price point as the top loaders for a given capacity. It's not like it was 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I've met a ton of 2nd generation Punjabi folks recently, I'm assuming that they're not from rich families since their parents moved to the US and seemed to have climbed up the economic ladder. Regardless they're all entering in to arranged marriages, and they seem to be quite happy with the arrangement, and they're all awesome PHD+ lefty people. I kinda just assume it's a cultural thing, but I also don't want to pry in to their personal lives and decisions.

I'm in Australia and haves friends from very large and wealthy Punjabi families my age that were born here. Their marriages were all 'arranged' but it was more like you date a shortlist of potential spouses your parents provide you and marry the one you hit it off with. There's some kind of network of wealthy Sikh parents spread across the Commonwealth countries that match their kids together from what I gather.