Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
First thing I thought of when I read this thread was the anti marijuana ad that aired during the Super Bowl shortly after 9/11 that implied that if you smoke pot you somehow support terrorists, but drat if I can find that fucker. I remember watching it, and was probably high at the time or maybe about to get high at halftime or even get high when I got home, and realizing for the first time that the fall of the twin towers was about to be exploited for right wing purposes. It was the most stupid god damned thing I'd ever watched and I recall being personally insulted by it.

It was the first time I went "Uh oh. So much for unity". I think it aired the same year that U2 did their awesome halftime show too, which somehow made it even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Boogoose posted:

Inappropriate music choices in ads is something that really annoys me. In the UK there was an advert for iPhones that had "Gigantic" by the Pixies playing. I don't see how watching a black man have sex with a white woman and feeling envious has much to do with phones to be honest with you, but I'm not in marketing. I think the O2 network used "Ante Up" by the M.O.P. to sell phone plans, because committing violent robbery is something I want associated with my mobile phone provider. I'd love to have a job where I match up the most superficial reading of a popular song with whatever pointless poo poo I'm trying to unload on the general public. The trickiest part would be keeping a straight face while saying the word "synergy".

This bugs me too, especially with talk shows and poo poo. Conservative pundits co-opting The Pretenders' "Back to Ohio", Prince's "Sign O' the Times" and Rage Against the Machine's "Sleep Now in the Fire" really irk the poo poo out of me and I don't think they should be allowed to use that music.

Someone else brought up politicians doing the same thing and missing the point of the song entirely but for some reason that makes me laugh.

princecoo posted:

Walmart crashed and burned in Germany because European nations are heavily unionised. Once Walmart realised they wouldn't be able to actively gently caress over employees in favour of profits, they gave up entirely. They'd rather abandon a nationwide launch of their brand than deal with unions.

They went into a country where Unions have considerably more power than in the States, and where the employees are much better informed of their rights. The entire plan became more trouble than it was worth, so they gave up.

Reminds me of that time near (or was it in?) Canada when a store voted to become unionised, so Walmart just shut the entire place down. We're closed now, you're all fired.

Can you source that for me?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Does this count? The Olympic logo from the 2012 Olympics in Britain?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00637/news-graphics-2007-_637249a.gif

Has it been posted yet?