Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Oh man, tell me someone took them up on this.

Game ads in the 90's were some of the weirdest poo poo. Sega had a deal with Howard Johnson to give away game tips for their lovely rear end games. How this benefitted either party, I'm not entirely sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnLxnG67VNc

I think my favorite :wtc: 90s gaming marketing was Johnny Turbo, in which the TurboGrafx-16 was embodied as a fat neckbearded programmer in an ambiguous relationship with his roommate Tony and shouted marketing slogans at evil alien drones representing Sega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It isn't dumb in the sense that it has so thoroughly invaded the popular consciousness and could thus be considered successful but "Blue Monday" is a total myth that was invented by a marketing agency and I hate hearing people uncritically babble about it every January.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

That Robox posted:

It was real, I remember it too. Had a girl with some pot and showed a bunch of pictures as it went something like:

"This is the weed I bought from the dealer, this is the cartel the dealer got it from, these are the terrorists that grew the weed for the cartel... and this is an innocent family those terrorists murdered just so you could have that weed."

Cut back to the weed girl horrified because she realized she murdered a young family.

Maybe it's the same one? I remember also thinking it was dumb because it showed a cartel as just being one dude.

Yeah the commercial said that drugs fund terrorism, actually saying that weed caused 9/11 was a gag on South Park.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

Oh, there's always this classic local gem from Alabama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RLqLx1iYI

I hate to ruin the magic for you but that and a bunch of other wacky viral "local" commercials are viral marketing for a debt collection service made by these guys.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Propitious Jerk posted:

Not completely terrible as that movie resulted in someone making this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4-2cEt0hh8 .

Also this, which actually landed TJ Miller a role in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnOHz1U6xNs

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fatkraken posted:

it doesn't say that.

You put the balls in the top, they come OUT of the mouth, the song is very clear on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1goS3l1V2BA

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5NxG_rr5aU

"Hey everyone, look! It's the guy who wrote a book about how television will turn us all into mindless drones and he's on television shilling prunes!"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The weird thing that so many of these hygiene commercials targeting men seem to miss is that the Old Spice ads, the ones that kicked this whole trend off and are unarguably the most successful, actually targeted women. The commercial literally begins with "Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me.", the whole point was that by aiming the ad at women they would buy it for men which would in turn make more men use it.

Pretty much every copycat ignores that and just lays the tryhard monkey cheese humor on extra thick to try and make up for it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

:stare:

"BUT IT WORKED DIDN'T IT YOU'RE STILL TALKING ABOUT THE AD I TOOK MARKETING 101 AND I KNOW THAT IS EFFECTIVE MARKETING :downsowned:"

This but unironically.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My former roommate, from Norway, drives a Fit, and I'm half convinced he bought it because of the Fitta debacle. Coincidentally, fitta is one of the first Swedish words I learned.

Has anyone seen the stupid Kmart commercial with pregnant ladies dancing sexily?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N94ES_HI-K8

Santa Baby is an awful enough song on its own, and I'm not quite sure why this commercial bugs me so much, because these cute suburban moms are killing it, but I'm completely squicked out.

Also, in the bay area, we get a lot of weird commercials for places that don't exist out here. Like Sonic. I think the closest one is about an hour away. Or Dairy Queen. There might be one a few cities over, but it's not like a popular enough destination for them to be shown every commercial break. Or Dunkin Donuts, which infuriatingly, doesn't even exist in the entire bay area (yet), but they've been advertising here for years. And I can't tell you where there's a Kmart nearby, though I know Wal Marts are around here somewhere.

It's stupid because they're trying to score brownie points/manufacture controversy by sexualizing pregnant women but they're all still models. It's like when Dove did that thing a few years ago when they had "big" women modeling in underwear but they were still fitter and better-looking than 99% of their customers, and the internet ate it up.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think that's pretty cool to be honest.

Yeah those ad campaigns were great. It's a shame that gamers decided to :goonsay: it up about them because that was back when it was cool to mindlessly hate EA before they moved on to mindlessly hating Activision, even though that was the period of time when EA were actually going out of their way to make new games.

The advertising campaign for Dead Space 2 built around the fact that moms were offended by it was pretty bad, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Nerds don't need the encouragement they just do that poo poo. I was at a con once where there was a mediated discussion over the controversial topic "Cosplay is not consent." Hell one time I was walking through the vendor hall and heard one of the girls freaking out on a guy because she was trying to do her job and teach someone to play a boardgame and he wouldn't leave her alone.

edit: Here's the picture of the event info.

Yeah, it's really not EA's fault that gamers can't tell the difference between getting your picture with a woman in a costume as part of a scavenger hunt and actual sexual harassment.

VVVVVV I rest my case.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Dec 21, 2014