Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a new song the radio keeps playing about some girl who's exes keep coming after her, and it has the line

"Cause I'm the best baby that they never got to keep"

And I'm like... is she talking about ex-boyfriends or like, father figures or something? :v: I legitimately wasn't sure for a second.

I'm not going to solve this problem for you. I'm only going to make it worse. The father of the woman singing that song is Rob Schneider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

You say that but if someone licensed SHODAN for use as an AI assistant I would be all over it.

Stick her on the Fitbit. "L-look at you-ou, Fatso: a pathe-etic creature of flab and guts. P-p-panting and sweating as you run round-d the block."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Penguins.

DON'T JUDGE ME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNvKOzg03Es

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Remember, remember
The wortel and gember
The selderij, appel and biet
I never will tire of lucuma, papaya
In my strangely-named "orange" smoothie treat.

Holy poo poo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The result of a perfectly logical chain of bad loving decisions

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

gleebster posted:

He was always supposed to have been in the Navy.

I don't think he was in the "on a boat for months" part of the Navy, though. I'm not even sure if I remember him being on a boat for more than a couple of hours before it exploded.

(e: not that that means he's not bi)

Phy has a new favorite as of 18:34 on May 1, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

The World is Not Enough was good just because the two villains were interesting and kind of a change up from the usual.

I will go to my grave insisting "I never miss" is a strong contender for all time best Bond One-liner

It's a little contrived in how they get there, to be sure, but still

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

I hope when you click it's just a bible themed Match-3 game.

Phlegmish posted:

I accept this gift from the Lord into my heart

e: wait a minute it's just another Match-Trinity game!! :argh:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Weird-cult-like-Pepsi-re-branding-document.pdf

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My conviction that this future we're living in ended up being "cyberpunk but somehow dumber" is certainly coming to a middle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Imagine it, you could be a total nerd going for dem cheevos, while simultaneously getting into shape. The hardest difficulty setting would be 'Realistic', where you have to be an actual professional cyclist to keep up with the peloton.

That's it I'm creating my own tech start-up, even though I know nothing about either tech or running a business

A new Prop Cycle would actually be pretty cool

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Mako Tsunami

Sharkwave is my new favorite music genre

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

What’s your point? I already said I believed there were facilities that didn’t use cane sugar in Mexico and this would be evident from the labeling.

I’d upload a picture of my bottle but apparently imgur won’t let you do that on mobile without downloading their app and gently caress giving them an opportunity to harvest my personal info for no good reason

You can upload directly to Imgur from the Awful app (at least on Android anyway.)

Of course, you can't post new threads from the Awful app (again on Android.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does the ios Awful app have the bbcode dropdown menu when you're writing a post? For me it's in there as "Insert Imgur", right next to "Insert Image"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

knife_of_justice posted:

In my house we had the daily repast of ennui.

"Papa, might i sup upon warm mush this eve?"

"Tha'll have cooled mush and like it."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Workshop....out of danger?"

"I have been... and always shall be... your parents"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or Vanced, if you're on Android

E: also gives you sound-with-the-screen-off functionality, which I don't remember Firefox doing

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Outback is an extremely American restaurant that just names things after stereotype australian places and things

My 'favorite' Outback food name is the one that proves they never had a single twelve-year-old in the focus group: the Chocolate Thunder From Down Under

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Right? Like I'm gonna pay hundreds of dollars to be told how to rub crocodile poop into my wounds

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It was! Ancient Egyptian physicians were both male and female and were well versed in internal anatomy, partially due to such familiarity with the anatomy of the embalming process. They were capable of many "modern" surgeries and even, as I recall, heart surgery. They understood much of how the heart is interconnected with all of our other internal systems. Mortality rates for Egyptian surgeries were lower than they were hundreds and hundreds of years later in Europe, because physicians valued cleanliness and would bathe before treating patients. They practiced dentistry and gynecology and understood that mental illness is in fact an illness that needed treatment. They combined what we think of as traditional medicine with faith and spell-based care. Greek and Roman physicians who received their medical training in Egypt were held in high regard.

Ancient Egypt is my jam. :)

The Edwin Smith papyrus is one of my favourite things that exists. For those who haven't heard of it, it's basically a trauma manual for the upper body (presumably it also addressed the lower body, but that part is missing). It describes various injuries to the head, neck, arms and torso; prescribes treatments for these; and recommends the physician says whether they can treat it, try to treat it, or do nothing for it, depending on the severity of the injury, as there's no sense bringing shame on the profession like if you said "oh yeah I can totally fix this" about an almost certainly fatal wound. It provides definitions for terms the reader might be unfamiliar with, and it describes things like the corrugations of the brain, and how it pulsates with blood flow. It describes upper spinal injuries causing paralysis, and injuries to one side of the head causing paralysis on the opposite side of the body. e: I'm rereading a translation I have of it rn and it actually describes closed-head injuries to one side of the head causing paralysis on the same side. The translator makes a note that this can be attributed to the contre-coup effect, where a forceful blow to the head on one side can cause your brain to smack into the opposite side of your skull, creating brain damage far away from the point of impact.

It's a document that reveals a tradition of paying attention to how the body actually works, how it breaks and how it heals, and how to help that process along. The papyrus itself is around 3600 years old, but the text may be quite a lot older.

Phy has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Jan 30, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

Speaking of food and Egyptology, I still wanna try that sarcophagus juice

:itwaspoo:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

Pain, paint, train fuel, is there anything mummies can't do?

Jump

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

Did Tom Hanks steal their pancreas or do they want to steal Tom Hanks's pancreas?

They already stole Tom Hanks' pancreas and it's just a statement of fact

Hard to run for long without your pancreas

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ohio tourism season? Who the gently caress goes on vacation to Ohio?

Quantum tunnelling. You just wake up one day in the middle of Milwaukee. It wouldn't happen so often except for all the people leaving Ohio to become astronauts to get as far away from Ohio as possible, and ironically, nature abhors a vacuum

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Polygon is owned by Vox which has slowly been gutting their news sites. I think SBNation is at like 30% of the staff they had just 5 years ago.

So help me, if they end up scuttling 20021...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I should call them and ask a series of HVAC and theological questions

I can think of nobody so well equipped to exorcise Maxwell's Demon

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I downloaded a game last week that is entirely a bunch of little puzzle levels (with a storyline!) No "slide the pin, drain the lava" puzzles but I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, they do call him Lucifer, the Lightbringer.

I mean matches were also called lucifers for a while, in an early example of brand name dilution - a popular brand of friction matches were sold as "Lucifers". They brought light, but also stunk of sulfur.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

fisting by many posted:

A gaping anus would be an improvement on the Sun's usual content.

Quoting for emphasis

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

You yield to no-one

Lol there we go

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SAY YOHO posted:

Better Help therapist Eliza

Literally Dr Sbaitso

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Peanut Butler posted:

if it worked, I'd really like it as a non-arthritis-haver so that I could keep the marinara/soup/gravy/etc stirred while I prep the next thing

Watching chemistry youtube has left me with a desire to one day own a lab style hotplate with an oversized magnetic stir bar

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yes, its a new pixar movie, and on a fresh start-up of firefox today it showed the ad. It really reeks of Disney Marketing department offering them a bunch of money, and Firefox deciding it was worth making their users angry for the big paycheck.

Well, that's horseapples, smooth move Firefox team.

I was aware of some entirely different controversy about the movie (link is to a CBC article), where the managing director of Cinemablend wrote a review incorporating an old racist trope, suggesting that because it was about a 13 year old Canadian-born Chinese girl in Toronto that it was unrelatable.

Sean O'Connell posted:

"I recognized the humour in the film, but connected with none of it," O'Connell wrote in his review. 

"By rooting Turning Red very specifically in the Asian community of Toronto, the film legitimately feels like it was made for Domee Shi's friends and immediate family members. Which is fine — but also, a tad limiting in its scope."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

Missing the very important “Paul F Tompkins saying WHAT THE gently caress over it”

https://mobile.twitter.com/pftompkins/status/848982344111280130?lang=en

I watched it without sound first to see what the deal was, and gratifyingly, the part where I went "what the gently caress?" was the "WHAT THE gently caress" part, practically to the second

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also rather cheesed at Crappy Tire somehow getting their hands on the rights to Ahead By A Century. I don't recall any Hip songs being used for ads when Gord Downie was still alive, though I could be wrong

Goddamn that is one of the more Canadian sentences I've ever said :canada:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Yeah, they didn't need to use the Hip, there are plenty of bands who are all still alive, despite being older

Could have been Willie Nelson, for example. Or it could have been the Wine (by which I of course mean what fans call Halifax band April Wine)

:drat:

I saw the panda movie on the weekend. I enjoyed it. My wife adored it.

It wasn't 1:1 relatable for her, but it's the closest I've seen any movie ever come. Like, she would have been older than the protagonist was in 2002, she lived in Markham instead of Toronto's Actual Chinatown, I've never known her to transmogrify into a giant fuzzy animal of any sort. But there were bits of her mom in the mom, bits of her dad in the dad, bits of her friends in the friends. I've had dim sum with those aunties. The warm, dawn-lit pastel hues of Toronto's brick houses looked the way her memories look.

I'll take that over another ten movies directly addressing my own experiences. Watching it with her was like being privileged to experience a slice of her life before I was ever present in it.

Also she thought the panda was really really cute.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

For some reason my favorite part is referring to it as “the Pizza Hut”.

I'm partial to the ". . .,"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Jenny and her sister swore allegiance to the First Order

Idk I'm kind of in favor of people who pay hundreds of dollars for a space fascist experience having a lousy time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry yall, I was being glib, what I should have said was:

A stay at the Star Wars Hotel costs minimum $4800 for two people for two nights, and if you were to drop that kind of money, and then get grouchy about that in the year 2022 your pricey interactive experience didn't 100% consist of aiding stormtroopers, my sympathy in that regard would be limited

However I will allow that I'm probably getting mad at a dude I made up. I can't be bothered to watch the youtuber's review to see if she was actually all that upset about that particular aspect, vs the other stuff she mentioned like vague direction and crappy seating. Now that I'm devoting more than two brain cells to the matter I think I remember reading accounts from other people that the "help the good guys" and "help the bad guys" storylines converge on helping the good guys, that appears to be how the whole thing is set up

Phy has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Jun 10, 2022