Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Much like all religions, there will be Muslims who don't really understand the pork taboo fully and are overly cautious about not dealing with pork at all. I really doubt if you served a large number of Muslims pork, they would all react the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

T-Mobile plans have a data soft cap where after you hit that cap (also just a few gigabytes a month) they put you on data that is basically unusable outside of taking 30-60 seconds to download a page of text. That's how they get to say they have unlimited data.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

This looked like squid at first and actually looked decent.

Also Google now thinks this page is in Vietnamese thanks to that post.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

United just does not get it at all , do they?

United Airlines Is Asking Passengers at Check-In If They’re OK Being Bumped – for $200

http://people.com/home/united-airlines-check-in-bumped-overbooked-question/

It's been like this forever. They've always had a question at check-in asking if you're okay with being bumped. This isn't new and isn't a response to the recent events.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I don't know why Brontosaurus is so angry but the numbers aren't totally inaccurate as far as airline margins go. Delta reports approximately $40 billion in gross sales in 2015 and 2016, with around $4.5 billion in net income. Their website reports that they fly over 15,000 flights a day, and looking at statistics on how many flights happen a year vs how many people fly a year overall, you get approximately 100 people per flight. 15,000 flights a day translates to over 5 million flights in a year. Just rounding to 5 million flights in a year with an average of 100 passengers per flight, this means that each flight generates ~$8000 in sales, and ~$900 of that is profit. These are very rough estimates, but cutting 5 seats at $80 per seat from every flight basically halves the profitability of the company in this example. This is why you hear people throw around the figure that planes have to fly at 90% capacity just to break even.

I don't pretend to know all the figures that go into it, but this gives a good idea of how volatile the profit margins are for airlines: http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/dal/financials

2014 it reports they made $40 billion in ticket sales and made a profit of $650 million. Less than 2%. $Billions on paper is a lot of money, but it requires some perspective. If a company operates in the tens of billions, then what you think of as a minor thing that causes a 5% change in either operating costs or sales figures instantly translates to billions in either losses or extra profits.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

Oh no they'd only make 2 billion in profits.

$2 billion in profits that suddenly turns into losing money if 5% less people buy tickets in a year or the price of oil goes up 10%.

How confident would you be in your business's sales not changing by 5% in a year or oil prices don't change more than 10%?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Video shows Houston passenger pushed by United employee

In the video, recorded on a surveillance camera at the airport, Ronald Tigner -- a frequent flyer, father and grandfather -- is shown being pushed to the ground by a United Airlines customer service rep, right in front of the United ticket counter.

After hitting his head on the ground, Tigner lies motionless with his arms splayed out and yet not one United employee bothers to bend down and talk to him.

"He violently shoves a 71-year-old man to the ground," Hoke said.

"Was your client knocked unconscious? Was he out?" KPRC 2's Bill Spencer asked.

"He was. He lied there," Hoke said. "He lies there lifeless for minutes. Not one employee comes to check on him."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/video-shows-confrontation-between-united-employees-houston-man-at-airport

You know, I was going to say that all the poo poo people are reporting on airlines doing is a bandwagon trend to cash in on views while everyone hates airlines, but this is legitimately a serious incident. Something that would be a really big deal even if the David Dao incident never happened.

Then I saw that this happened in 2015 and it's just being dug up and making the news now because it's easy to dig up dirt on United and get lots of views.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm not sure whether the whole association of Mountain Dew with gamers is because of the stupid Mountain Dew ad campaign or it was there in the first place and the brand latched onto it, but holy poo poo every time I turned on SGDQ this weekend I got the Twitch ad for Mountain Dew's high end PC giveaway thing and everything about it is stupid.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I work for a tech giant and they're required to have free fruit for employees on every campus, as well as tea/coffee/soft drinks.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Barudak posted:

Their most popular chat app just got called out for translating “black foreigner” as n-word. If you spend any time in China you will quickly learn racism is everywhere at klaxxon blaring levels and nobody seems to notice or care.

This is a common toothpaste brand I've seen in Shanghai:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie

My dad has told me he doesn't understand why the n-word isn't okay to say because all his English textbooks were British/American textbooks written in an era where black people were referred to as "negroes" and no one thought it was offensive. I get the impression most people in China just don't really "get" the idea of certain imagery and language being racist against black people because they've likely never had anyone confront them on why the racist things they propagate might be disciminatory/offensive. On the other hand, there's much more overt racism that you can see all the time in China, which I think is much more problematic. In the SA China thread I've heard many schools refuse to hire black English teachers on the basis that they believe their English isn't "real American English," and my parents have observed people working in subways being visibly uneasy when interacting with black customers.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I saw a Youtube ad a few weeks ago for a group that ran a right-wing news/educational channel that I can't remember the name of any more. The ad was about how Youtube was attacking them by flagging their videos as inappropriate for minors, when their videos were in fact harmless and educational. The ad was trying to stir up people to take action against Youtube censorship.

Completely ignoring whether or not their statements were in fact bullshit and ignoring any of the political issues they want to talk about, spending money producing and running a Youtube ad to protest Youtube censoring them is... a decision.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

grittyreboot posted:

Does YouTube decide what ads are shown or is even that automated? Because because YouTube running ads attacking YouTube doesn't seem like it's in their best interest.

On a related note, Prager U, a conservative think tank, likes to advertise on my account. I think it's because I occasionally watch videos making fun of the Alt Right.

Its interesting because I've watched videos discussing what a whiny idiot twerp James Damore is and right in the middle of it i get an ad featuring James Damore complaining over how unjust his firing was.

Oh yeah the thing was an ad from Prager U. I don't watch videos making fun of the alt right so I think they just have a ton of money to spend on advertising.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

asian kfc is pretty good.

Yeah my family is Chinese and China is a strange place for western fast food brands where KFC is by far the biggest and most popular fast food thing and Pizza Hut is a fancy sit down pizza restaurant.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah I had a friend who worked at one of those places in Houston for a bit. He said that the law just says that you can't have an open container of alcohol in your car, and they provide a drive-thru sealed container of alcohol. Not TECHNICALLY breaking any laws and if you decide to drink it in the car and get caught that's on you.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Even the really good runs usually end up with long term arcs that end up going nowhere because someone else takes over/some dumb huge crossover event fucks everything over.

Granted indie comics also have to a really bad problem with ending properly too. Either they drag things out if they are popular, or they are cancelled early.

Yeah honestly the first comic I ever tried to read was Saga and read up to the point that they took the first big hiatus, and then never got back into it when they came back. It was already way too long and meandering for me at that point. That was probably after the first 2 volumes?

Never cared to try to read any other comics and Saga's supposedly one of the all time greats.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Not sure if this would count as dumb or smart for marketing but this is apparently a Chinese tutoring ad that went viral:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I've got to assume that there's some wordplay here that isn't translating

There's no wordplay it's just very openly calling out the fact that for standardized tests every kid is competing with each other. It's like if a US weapons manufacturer told Ukraine "if you don't buy missiles from us, we're gonna sell them to Russia instead".

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I've got to assume that there's some wordplay here that isn't translating

E: unless I'm missing something because the English text has overlaid it, the fourth sentence is the same as the second, except that it has characters at the end, so I wonder if it's something like "we will tutor and help your child('s competing applicants)"

Oh yeah you have it right. It's laid out like this:

code:
IF YOU COME
We will train your child

IF YOU DON'T COME
We will train your child
's competitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Are there places where it's an all electronic menu but you're still ordering from a person? I've seen several Asian restaurants that just take all their orders via a touchscreen/online menu and no one ever interacts with you outside of bringing you the food. I haven't seen ads on those systems though.

That said gas stations have screens to play ads at you while you get gas now and it sucks.