Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm having trouble seeing how this story got past the stage of "Welp the president tweeted something childish and irresponsible again, boy he sure is terrible". Everything beyond that is just making it worse. I guess there's a theoretical threat of violence against the media, but sadly, he does far more threatening stuff multiple times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
More tasteless than racist, but it's about what I'd expect from a company that really isn't interested in protecting its image. "I'm shocked and appalled that the website I use to cheat on my wife has stooped to bodyshaming; I'm taking my cheating elsewhere!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wait, saying someone is ugly is "bodyshaming" now?

Face is part of the body, right? It sounded funny, at least.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's weird, if you knew the word "incubus" at all, wouldn't you know what it means? Aside from just knowing the band name of course. It's not like the word really had any other common usage. So either you're naming your product after an unaffiliated band, or a word that you haven't even briefly looked up and don't know the meaning of.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

EmmyOk posted:

Hopefully a more straightforward example that won't requite a viva, from a UK company after the Aurora shooting.

Ah, a classic. It's the "Clearly" that really seals it.

Content: from Chinese phone manufacturer Oppo (who has ties to OnePlus, which makes this even funnier if you've followed that trainwreck of a company)

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Jul 12, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lime Tonics posted:

https://twitter.com/beccawinning/st...ners-claim.html

Chipotle, the fast-casual restaurant chain, has had a rough go of it for the past few years, from the E. coli outbreak in November of 2015 to customers experiencing norovirus-like symptoms at one of the Virginia locations earlier this week.

Now, it’s raining rats in their downtown Dallas location restaurant, according to a patron.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/07/20/rats-fall-from-ceiling-at-dallas-chipotle-diners-claim.html

Nasty.

But don't worry, investors -- they're getting a new website designed by RZA!

Bloomberg: Chipotle Taps Wu-Tang Clan for Marketing Buzz After Safety Scare. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-19/chipotle-taps-wu-tang-clan-for-marketing-buzz-after-safety-scare

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Have you ever wished your mortgage company were a bit more... personal? Someone who really looked out for you? Someone you felt like you could hang with?

Well you're in luck -- NationStar Mortgage has rebranded itself as... Mr. Cooper.

https://www.housingwire.com/articles/40016-its-official-nationstar-will-become-mr-cooper-in-august-2017

quote:

While Mr. Cooper may seem like an  “out of left field” option for a mortgage company, Nationstar said that the idea is to personalize the mortgage experience from origination all the way through servicing.

“After extensive research and testing, Mr. Cooper was selected as the new brand name to personify the next generation of home loan servicing and lending for the company,” Nationstar said in its release. “It represents a more personal relationship customers can have with their home loan provider. The brand recognizes the critical role of a customer advocate in delivering a positive experience and aligns the entire company behind the spirit of customer advocacy.”
......sure, OK

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jiru posted:

Honestly, some places are not appropiate at all. I don't know if they could apply to Niantic for some "no pokemon here" zone status, but it'd at least dissuade some of those behaviours.

I don't think you have to apply for that status at this point, everyone gets it free

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mu Zeta posted:

Use cemeteries for new housing and public parks. They are dead and taking up space.

This isn't the Life Death Hack thread

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This could be the start of a predictable-but-still-hilarious Photoshop Phriday.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't completely know why it feels so inappropriate, but it does. Not in a really shocking "what were they thinking" way, but more just "no." It's more along the lines of Kidz Bop covering a protest song or something.

I'm not sure there's as much of an outrage or scandal as that article implies, though. It sounds more like "everyone thinks this is stupid".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

oldpainless posted:

stop hiring the weak and the sick

More like old... ... ...painless

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sunswipe posted:

That's the genius of this promotion: sell guns to children so children stay away from school and have to work at Walmart. Walla!

Literally triggered

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, once in a while my impressionable hipster brain notices that a place I thought was local actually has another location and I get one leg on my high horse, but then I remember there's nothing inherently wrong with chains even though most of the really big ones are managed terribly. There are some very good "regional chains" around now. Hopefully they don't just end up riding that wave into oblivion.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
While I'm not mad about advertising old movies with "spoilers", and understand the marketing logic to it, I do think there's a case to be made for not doing it. In theory, if I knew about the twist at the end of Planet of the Apes before watching it -- but all advertising material and cover art related to it still acted like it was a secret -- it would still to some extent preserve the original narrative. I would "get" that I'm not supposed to know about that going into the movie. The movie's supposed to work on its own internal logic and mostly make sense without that. Whereas if the cover of the movie shows that right away, I'd think this is something that happens maybe halfway into the movie at most. And when it actually happens at the very end, it's a bit of a letdown.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Photoshop a gun in his hand and some blood, and it'd be Max Payne

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

For me, the funniest thing about this is just how quickly they're backpedaling (or at least trying to) this whole thing. Like it really didn't occur to anyone, during the whole process of setting up this campaign, that people don't like war?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mierenneuker posted:

The ultimate soap for people who need something to peruse while using the bathroom.

Then I walk out of the bathroom and ask my wife "what the hell did we just buy?"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Spam has been the go-to pop culture punchline for "crappy processed food" for as long as I've been alive, but at this point I'll bet it doesn't even rank as one of the unhealthiest things you can eat.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And now for the polar opposite of all the social media blunders from that Cracked article:

Someone just discovered why the official KFC Twitter account follows exactly 11 people.

https://twitter.com/edgette22/status/921103567771131904

Go ahead, see for yourself.

https://twitter.com/kfc/following

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Segmentation Fox posted:

Is this article sarcasm?

Please. I need it to be sarcasm. I NEED IT TO BE.

Well, like the article says, it's not for everybody. Actually it's inspired by French architecture. :smug:

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Oct 23, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess there'll be lots of arguments over whether it's truly "dumb" to piss people off, but it's definitely gonna piss a lot of people off.

(I am assuming 6.66 is less than it usually costs, otherwise that would definitely be dumb)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah this whole phenomenon is really just a side effect (heh) of advertising drugs in the first place. Most drugs have potentially horrific side effects, which is why you need to get them prescribed by a doctor, and usually have a few follow-ups to see if there are any red flags to discontinue the drug. Being forced to mention these in commercials is basically a way to keep them in check, since being allowed to advertise your drug any way you want would certainly lead to some egregious abuses. But I guess the brand recognition is a net positive.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I like when the side effect for MiracleDrugXYZ is 'allergic to MiracleDrugXYZ'. Yeah, no loving poo poo. Maybe I shouldn't take the drug I'm allergic to.

Oh yeah, that's my favorite. I have to wonder what court case led to that one, because it seems so self-evident.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't suppose there's any point in really trying to hide it. I doubt there's one person who truly believes they permanently killed off Superman. I do appreciate the token effort to preserve the fact that, as far as the movies are concerned, he's "supposed to be" dead. It'd irk me if they actually showed him on the poster. Just as a matter of dramatic consistency.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ignoring stuff and hoping it goes away usually works yeah.

Definitely doesn't make things worse.

Really? "If we drink milk, the Nazis win" is the hill you're gonna die on?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's an inverse Confederate Flag situation. "No I'm not racist, I'm just paying tribute to soldiers who fought for states' rights." "Okay, but everyone else sees it as a symbol of racism, so congrats on looking like a racist." Connotations meaningfully exist to whatever extent the general population are aware of them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The real question is, will this get white people to boycott KFC?

I wonder if someone can engineer some kind of boycott chain reaction that causes the alt-right to basically do all the same stuff hipsters do, but claim to be doing it because they hate black people.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
See also: "spastic"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hahaha

I guess the third time will be the charm, eh?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

EmmyOk posted:

Shut the gently caress up about laundry jesus christ

"His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them."
- Mark 9:3

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Even before I had kids, crying baby sounds in media were the worst. Makes Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely" painful to listen to even though it's a great song.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I remember when the vaguely educational, but actually pretty funny, Histeria cartoon first aired, they aggressively marketed it as "THE SHOW YOUR PARENTS DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE!" because they were afraid of older kids thinking it's educational. Definitely backfired on me, I would've watched it if they said "Do you like Animaniacs and Freakazoid? Then watch this."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I also work at an insurance company, and they are going to start training me in COBOL soon. It lives.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Wonder Bread is crap but pretty much everybody knows that now. Many don't care, but they still know. It's still shocking how many of them contain HFCS, but it's getting easier and easier to find them without. Not that they don't still have sugar.

Also, hazy IPAs are pretty cool, they don't have that extreme bitterness but still a nice herbal feel

This concludes my hipster post of the week hour

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The last time I bought stamps, I definitely felt like it was an inconvenient and slightly too expensive experience. Of course, it was also like 5 years ago, so it doesn't exactly weigh heavily on me.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/questforeywa/status/1059996116278829061

Can I just complain in general about the marketing for the new Grinch movie?

It's fuckin' dire.

About 2 years ago we stopped complaining about food posts and cat pictures. We have welcomed them back with open arms while Boomers flood the rest of our feeds with The Truth about George Soros.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'd be willing to concede that they didn't have it "easy" but the things that were easy vs. difficult back then are not necessarily the same as they are now. For example, it was never necessarily easy to score high on your SATs and get into a 4-year college and graduate, but if you did, you had a huge advantage getting a job. This is no longer necessarily true, and the debt you incur may very well outweigh how much it helps you. But they still assume that's the golden ticket and reject any evidence to the contrary.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

back to school shotgun posted:

I saw that on Twitter and someone replied with this:

This one is great if you read it as one thought: "We are sorry. We are sorry. We are incredibly sorry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's not a black guy, it's this image, with a snow hat photoshopped onto the guy.

That might make it even dumber, because they really made it look like a black guy. Quite the unforced error.