Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

That reminds me of McDonalds and the ArchDeluxe, which was advertised with the idea that kids don't like it.

I was thinking of this as well. When your entire ad campaign involves commercials of people (even if they're kids) saying that your product is gross and they hate it, then you have seriously hosed up somewhere.

Even worse, that was the second giant failure of a campaign to push the Arch Deluxe as an "adult" burger. The first one involved Ronald McDonald hanging out in bars, smoking and shooting pool. For some reason, concerned parents didn't care for that too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jastiger posted:

But why am I seeing commercials for places that don't even exist in the entire state of Iowa? Its so freakin weird. Insurance companies are the worst at this as well as restaurants and the like.

Advertisers can buy time from local stations, service providers like cable companies, or networks directly. For many companies, it's more cost effective for them to buy ads on a national network like ESPN for the demographic even if it means they're paying for airtime in areas they don't service.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

foobardog posted:

I think McDonald's would be better off buying some well liked name like Five Guys or something like that, keep their hands off, and skim from it. Let McDonald's stores themselves be the sort of restaurant of last resort that they are, and put your money in other things.

Isn't that what they tried to do with Chipotle's a few years ago?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

How Rude posted:

Coupons are your friends. Those two whopper meals would be like, eight bucks if you got one of their coupon sheets in the mail.

I wonder if half the people that complain about prices have ever used coupons because by god do they make shoveling your face with poo poo tolerable.

So here's my dumb move in marketing pet peeve. I get coupons all the time in both my mail and email that are almost universally useless to me. Why? Because nearly every single one is some variation of "Buy one meal, get the second half-off", "Buy 2 entrees and get a free appetizer", or "Free kids' meal with adult meal purchase". I am a single dude who eats out by myself all the time. And when I'm not alone, it's usually a spontaneous thing and not something I'll have my stock of coupons on hand for.

Though I'm an overweight slob, I haven't quite fallen to the point of ordering two meals to eat by myself. Give me something that's "10% off your purchase" or "$1 off your next value meal" and it might get saved and used.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I always forget to use them until I'm back in the car. Otherwise I would totally use the 12% off coupons for the liquor store that get printed out on the back of my grocery receipts. It adds up.

Coupons for booze would actually be useful, but I'm pretty sure the local blue laws don't permit that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Bast Relief posted:

I'm not even trying to be one of "those people" who doesn't own a TV to score smug points or anything

Yet somehow, you managed to succeed beyond all expectations...