Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Boogoose posted:

Inappropriate music choices in ads is something that really annoys me. In the UK there was an advert for iPhones that had "Gigantic" by the Pixies playing. I don't see how watching a black man have sex with a white woman and feeling envious has much to do with phones to be honest with you, but I'm not in marketing. I think the O2 network used "Ante Up" by the M.O.P. to sell phone plans, because committing violent robbery is something I want associated with my mobile phone provider. I'd love to have a job where I match up the most superficial reading of a popular song with whatever pointless poo poo I'm trying to unload on the general public. The trickiest part would be keeping a straight face while saying the word "synergy".

The new iPhones' main selling point is that they're bigger, a song about something Gigantic is the perfect marketing. Nobody knows/cares about the original intent of the lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

If you're going to take this kind of wet blanket stance and enforce it on us then this thread is going to lose like 1/4 of what it can talk about. Inappropriate song choices are totally fair game.

I'm not the thread police, I'm simply saying it's neither a 'dumb move' or an 'idiotic marketing campaign'. It's a perfectly reasonable, even good choice of song for a campaign.

You'll be posting about every ad in existence if you are posting about song lyric interpretations and them not applying exactly to the ad.

Edit: If it's like a band like Rage who's primary thing is their political stance being used specifically by the people they oppose that's a dumb move.

Fellblade has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Dec 14, 2014