Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I hate to ruin the magic for you but that and a bunch of other wacky viral "local" commercials are viral marketing for a debt collection service made by these guys.

Dammit, I was starting to want a trailer. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Barudak posted:

I haven't looked at what happened to that product line

I just saw one of their commercials yesterday. They're no longer doing "it's not for women!" anymore, now it's just some weird lumberjack looking guy in a canoe in the Rockies or some poo poo.

I remember people getting pretty fired up over that slogan, so maybe that's why they toned it down.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, they resisted for a bit but it didn't take them long to realize how disastrous the campaign was. Really, I never think it was about cutting out the female demographic as much as it was for them to produce a diet soda that guys would be more drawn toward. They just did it in a really, really dumb way.

Agreed. Dove Men+Care is a better example of man-friendly marketing. They still do the "holy crap look how manly your man-hide is, you've got to take care of that you beautiful beast you," but they don't call out women at all. I think even men who welcome man-marketed products know it's a bad idea to throw a middle finger at the ladies.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

TZer0 posted:

I still think that Honda Fitta was pretty great.

"Fitta" basically means "pussy" in various Scandinavian languages. How they got as far as printing the brochures before realizing the problem boggles my mind.

http://www.carscoops.com/2007/09/why-honda-didnt-call-fit-jazz-by-its.html

My former roommate, from Norway, drives a Fit, and I'm half convinced he bought it because of the Fitta debacle. Coincidentally, fitta is one of the first Swedish words I learned.

Has anyone seen the stupid Kmart commercial with pregnant ladies dancing sexily?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N94ES_HI-K8

Santa Baby is an awful enough song on its own, and I'm not quite sure why this commercial bugs me so much, because these cute suburban moms are killing it, but I'm completely squicked out.

Also, in the bay area, we get a lot of weird commercials for places that don't exist out here. Like Sonic. I think the closest one is about an hour away. Or Dairy Queen. There might be one a few cities over, but it's not like a popular enough destination for them to be shown every commercial break. Or Dunkin Donuts, which infuriatingly, doesn't even exist in the entire bay area (yet), but they've been advertising here for years. And I can't tell you where there's a Kmart nearby, though I know Wal Marts are around here somewhere.