Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
This commercial for Charter is currently the worst commercial on TV, to me. I know cable commercials are low hanging fruit they're all generally terrible and it doesn't seem to matter either way, but it's so bad, and seemingly endless, that we laugh every time it comes on. It just moves from one joyless, robotic scene to the next, on and on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZj2bOETKik

My favorite part is when the black dude and pants lady do that neck dance move

Look into their eyes. That is the look of a man who knows he is not going to make it as an actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of annoying marketing gimmicks.

I've always disliked adverts that sink to saying their competitor is poo poo. On one hand you have the ones that just say "blah blah % better then the leading brand..." or "better then the other guys" or "better then the generic brand"

On the other, you have the ones that name a specific other product. Pepsi is probably the biggest offender with those commercials of Einstein or some other famous person wondering what soda drink, only for a little girl in his mind to pop up and say "Duh" and make him buy a Pepsi. Or whatever the crap it was. I just remember for a period every of their commercials pretty much boiled down to "COKE SUCKS DRINK PEPSI!" Where every Coke commercial was happy people drink coke or polar bears.

Cell phones/laptops/tablets are so bad for this. There's one now that's just so blatant, the Surface tablet/laptop thing. The Surface side of the screen features a chorus of happy sounding people singing about how much they love their computer and all of its features, the Mac side of the screen features some dumb sounding idiot who doesn't even sing on key. It's also weird that they chose to have multiple people singing for the Surface, even though you only see one arm, like trying to subtly reinforce that the Surface is the popular choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5_CrXh227Q

Ugh, god it's the worst. I guess Apple deserves it though, they kind of kicked it off with the Mac and PC guy commercials.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
Similar to the people who make ads to play on youtube not putting any vital information before the skip mark, Pandora's ads drive me crazy with how much of a waste they are. Pandora is essentially a radio app, in that people put it on and usually walk away from it, or have it on while driving or doing other work. I can't recall a time that I ever pulled up Pandora (online or mobile) and actually attended to it. You put it on, the music starts playing, and you pretty much never look back at it unless you want to skip a track or station.

So why, why, why are a significant portion of the ads VIDEO ads with no voice-over, just random music?? Do the ad people think that people just sit and watch Pandora's screen until a video ad pops up? Do they not understand that the ad format should be in the traditional radio style? So many of the video ads on there never even say the product name. It's just baffling and annoying.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

jidohanbaiki posted:

So Pandora adds can have video, but let's face it, no one sees those so it's idiotic when there is an add highly dependent on visuals on Pandora. Once there was a Clash of Clans ripoff add that was just dramatic background music. I just thought it was a strangely short, misplaced track until I eventually happened to glance over at my phone while the add was playing. Movie trailers and car commercials are also pretty guilty of not making a more radio-like add for Pandora and just slapping their unchanged TV spot on there.

McDonalds really gets it though, at least in Spanish. If people aren't going to be looking at your add you got to really get clever with the audio. So this one add features a man speaking in Spanish about McCaffes. They feature some kind of high definition sound of the drink being poured and then the sound of him sllllluuuuuurrrping it down. I'm not some kind of ASMR person, but that add makes me naseuous every time. I know it's supposed to sound delicious and refreshing but if I had a friend making noises like that while drinking I'd have to tell them they were being gross.

Panera Bread had a similar one where the slurping was the whole point of the ad. They added two noodle-y soups to their menus, which I guess had very different flavor combos. The ad was a voice-over describing one, then you'd hear ssssslurrrrrrrrrrrp, then he'd describe the other, and you'd hear another slllluuurrrrrrrp. And the point was supposed to be like, ha ha, oh hey, you can't HEAR the difference in these soups! Head on over to Panera. But the slurping sound was just so disgusting sounding. Ugh.

There was another one for Coke or something that had the HIGH-DEF sounds of a Coke being poured and fizzing, which is supposed to be appealing, but I don't want to feel like I'm having a Coke poured directly into my ear canal on my morning commute.