Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
There's a local scrapyard in Houston that did some commercials a few years ago. They came on the air, did their spiel about their services, then play their slogan, and it was over. Eventually they started putting in bloopers at the end of the commercial, which was still fine because it was still clear about their services.

Years later still, now it's just ALL bloopers and it makes absolutely zero sense seeing a bunch of haggard people messing up their lines and laughing, then the commercial ends. It's super weird. If viewers didn't follow the progression years ago I'm not even sure they know what they're selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

There are a whole lot of dorks who are super eager to let people know "millennials aren't as smart as you think they are!!"

In the United States, at least, Millennials are the most highly educated generation ever.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-10-08/millennials-become-most-educated-u-s-age-group-due-to-recession

And taking into account that among first world countries, our education system is one of the worst I can only assume that our generation world-wide is even more well-educated.

I'm pretty sure that critical thinking is an important part of education and you need to be able to think critically to understand the effect media has on you. So I'm gonna make an off the wall assumption that Millennials are more keen to the tricks advertisers use, even if it doesn't change their consumption habits.

As a resident of PYF i am required to inform you that you're wrong and have a small penis

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

You probably saved yourself a lot of trouble stopping at the advert because you know the saleperson at a dealership would be pushing the same agenda probably even more-so.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I wonder what it's like to be one of the tech dudes at a production company that makes News reports or CSI 'Hacker' segments. It would either be a nightmare or god drat hilarious.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Video games are weird because the pricepoint hasn't really changed in 20 years. And the weird psychology of buying video games, like I'll go pay 10bux to see a bad movie, but I won't even spend $2 on a game I don't like. Video games are forced to be successful because they have pretty massive overhead and if they don't succeed, welp. Halo 3 spent something like 60 million dollars on advertising.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Jun 2, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

That was a neat trick. Really, most food marketing amazes or amuses me. Like this one:

It's like the ad writer isn't even giving one iota of poo poo. "Eh, gently caress it, are you hungry? Eat this poo poo!" Really, the slogan "tastes good... when I'm hungry" works for a lot of things, like Taco Bell or Spam. And "spreads like magic"? Hells yea, let me at it!

Haha don't they still kinda do this with microwavables? The commercials are always some stressed out mom, "poo poo WHAT am I gonna do for my insatiable teenage boys for food????" She opens the freezer and a gleam of heaven shines on a box of Hot Pockets. Teenage boys start kickflipping into the kitchen and gobble it down, "Thanks, mom I sure was hungry"

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

There have been and they are extremely successful, albeit in 3d. So it's strange to not make them.

Talking about Dark Souls, etc.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Jun 19, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Destiny is pretty much an mmo right? There are definitely people in those games that go ape poo poo over limited edition stuff. It doesn't matter what it is, but especially if it changes your character in any way.

Hell, right now everquest launched a vanilla server, and people are paying 30bux for a cloak that is +4 wisdom. And no one would ever know you even have the ~best in slot~.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Jun 24, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

everyone likes their own made coffee , much like farting.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Why? Walmart online selection is surprisingly big but it comes nowhere near amazon.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Hitshler didn't go far enough

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Yeah it's weird that Beats are perfectly normal out in public, but I would be embarrassed for someone wearing some other big headphones out in public, even though I use some at home.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Insurance companies all have like 3 commercial themes, is weird. Think GEICO had the cavemen and gecko and another one.

I spoke about this before but the end of the cavemen one is weird because it had been years since the "so easy a caveman could do it" would play. So all the back story was gone. So I wonder if people that didn't know that part were confused why there was hairy men in an insurance commercial.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Have no idea how Lopez keeps getting shows

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Lol if you don't have Enrique whisper-beatbox directly into your ears.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Didn't think 5.Juan sound systems came out for atleast another year!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

And surprisingly, the real ones' parts cost about the same.

This string of articles is a bad move in marketing (even if I do agree with them). Like you want to chastise a piece of hardware but get a counterfiet without realizing soon enough?. Doesn't that kinda void your expertise?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Looks like it was photoshopped in the 90s too.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

9/11 Inside Job or Prank Gone Wrong? Clear here to find out!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I think it's pre assembled but configurable if you want to later. I kinda like it tbh, but yeah the commercial is goofy as hell.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Sinking Ship posted:

As someone who lives in the Southern US I can assure you guys that chewing tobacco is huge around here, advertising tends to tie it to manly hunter bullshit but I think most people use it because you can't smoke indoors but you can chew.

Personally I don't understand why the biggest most popular nicotine delivery systems are also just absolutely laced with carcinogens, like why don't they just make a product with nicotine that *gasp* doesn't kill people? Like what possible added benefit is there to having a product that kills your consumers. Like is tobacco just too entrenched at this point to ever give ground and change their 'recipe'? I don't understand.

Most people aren't going to be able to explain why something is "cool" because it just ends up sounding dumb. Smoking will probably never not be cool to large swaths of people, precisely because it does kill you, and is super addictive.

Same reason people will never wear helmets skateboarding cuz it looks lame as hell, and weird philosophies like Die young and I'll never live past 30/40/50 anyways. The only reason nicotine alternatives exist at all is because people outlive the cool mentality of killing yourself and would rather quit with an aid.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Nov 8, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I'll have it every once in a while, like yoohoo. They just have unique flavor that sometimes you really want

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

The North Tower posted:

Norm Macdonald did this on his show all the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGczCl6_L_o

The whole nick swardson episode is fantastic.
"Your father's alive. ... right?"
Those mangrates segments are some of the best.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Publicity probably and some fairly benevolent PR I would guess. How many people that saw an article about it, or voted, are even gonna care what they choose down the line? They just think it's funny and hit Like on their facebook timeline once then forget about it, but it probably drummed up a lot of publicity. It's Free Memes

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The guy I know who backed the kickstarter really, reaaaaaally does want another Mega Man game. He still replays the old ones periodically, and has refused to buy anything from capcom since they cancelled Legends 3 (except Mega Man 9 and 10)

Point is, retro gaming is real.

Wow I thought I heard that legends was like one of the worst games of all time, how did they make 3 of them?

Maybe I only heard it from grognards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

call it jaypeg inbox

"curated 'artifacts'"